IGNORED

Thread sealant recommendation QD

Dundee387

Hey guys, just did a quick disconnect replacement (beemer boneyard). I got a leak between the plastic collar on the fuel ring, and the new ss threaded female adapter. I checked, and there are no cracks on the collar. I used the provided "gasolina", and applied it liberally, inadvertently turned it half turn back when applying. Is there a setup time on this product that anyone knows about?

I'm gonna re-do it, any suggestions on a good sealer (other than Gasolina).

Thanks.

06RT

Morning Dundee387

First off never use any type of Teflon tape or other sealant “tapes” unless you want injector issues down the road.

My personal favorite thread sealer is LocTite 565 but that stuff is expensive. About any of the PTFE based Teflon sealers (non tape type) should work about as good for gasoline sealer.

Those PTFE based Teflon sealers will work and seal correctly even if used on fittings under moderate pressure even while the pressure is present during assembly (good stuff)

Don_Eilenberger

Is there any sealant called for on this fitting? This is the one that we hear about the boss in the fuel-tank fitting cracking?

Is there any sealant called for on this fitting? This is the one that we hear about the boss in the fuel-tank fitting cracking?

Afternoon Don

I doubt it as that quick disconnect comes as part of the fuel pump carrier assembly. According to the service manual a person is not supposed to remove the quick disconnect parts.

Even the original assembly could/would be different as that part is plastic to plastic and his replacement part is stainless steel.

Be careful when using a thread sealant, it will also lubricate and allow you to tighten beyong what it should be. If it's pipe thread it will cause the boss to split.

We had numerous problems with these style fittings and changed to O ring.

Don_Eilenberger
Be careful when using a thread sealant, it will also lubricate and allow you to tighten beyong what it should be. If it's pipe thread it will cause the boss to split.

That was exactly my concern. I could see using a sealant on this fitting IF it was a hardening type, and you tightened the fitting to just over finger tight, so as not to stress the boss on the fuel pump mount.

The O ring type you're using - any details? I assume a face-mount O ring seal against the boss itself?

JOHNNYWISHBONE

this is the best there is. period. jmEo, jp

GRAFOIL Grade GTS

Directions for Use

GRAFOIL GTS Graphite Thread Sealant is a patented, high-purity paste made from a combination of nuclear grade graphite and a nuclear quality petroleum-based carrier. It has all the characteristics required for long-life performance, even under the most severe conditions. GTS paste is made to seal small diameter, close tolerance threaded pipe joints in critical service applications to 635°C (1175°F) and 52 MPa (7500 psi).

Morning Dundee387

The below Copied from----Cole-Parmer Technical Library--

Re; Pipe Thread Types and Designations:

”Chemical attack can occur when improper thread sealants are used. Thread sealing is an attempt to block the spiral leak path which occurs when the crests and roots of the thread forms do not match. Anaerobic thread sealants should be avoided when sealing plastic thread forms. These sealants contain chemicals which may attack plastics. Use of a Teflon-based pipe thread sealant is a better choice for plastic threads.

Over tightening of any plastic pipe thread will have adverse affects on the function of the joint. The major difference between plastics and metals is the behavior of polymers. Injectionmolded plastic parts continue to deform if they are held under a constant load e.g. creep. Creep is the continued extension or deformation of a plastic part under continuous load. Typically the plastic material in an injection-molded plastic pipe thread form will creep from being over tightened into a female tapered port. The deformation of the part’s internal features can lead to part failure.”

Just be sure whatever you use is safe on plastic pipe joints as not all modern sealers are. It should say plastic or polymer safe somewhere on the tube or spec sheets.

Thanks guys, trying the Gasoila again. It was supplied with kit.. I think I may have gone too easy when I initially tightened because I didn't want to crack it.

Thanks.

That was exactly my concern. I could see using a sealant on this fitting IF it was a hardening type, and you tightened the fitting to just over finger tight, so as not to stress the boss on the fuel pump mount.

The O ring type you're using - any details? I assume a face-mount O ring seal against the boss itself?

My application is different due to the pressures we see but 2 versions are used.

An angle cut recessed O ring - up to 3000 psi and a flat faced O ring type for 4000 psi.

I don't know if the boss, in this case, has enough meat to cut the recess or allow a flat face seal.

There is a concern in using a steel pipe fitting in a plastic boss, the failure is now on the boss.

a bonding type sealer might work the best in this instance along with a light fitting torque.

Funny timing in relation to this thread. On Sunday, the black plastic boss (female threaded collar)on top of the fuel pump housing on my 2006 R1200RT starting leaking fuel. There was a white compound all around the fitting. Upon closer inspection there are numerous small cracks on the top of boss ring. The bike has never been serviced outside a BMW dealer. I did have quick disconnects installed two years ago, but I don't believe the female qd was replaced. Is it worth the effort to try to seal the female qd/collar connection and reinstall? I have just found out from MAX that you can't buy this part individually, but must buy the entire fuel pump assembly. I have already started looking for used parts. Any suggestions are appreciated. And, I am new to this forum process so I hope I have not hijacked this thread.

Thanks,

Ron

I'm using the soft-set product that was provided with the kit. It appears suitable for plastic and brass, etc.

Afternoon Ron

Your problem isn’t unique to your bike. If you can find them in the archives here there have been numerous attempted repairs on that cracked boss area.

Mostly sealer or using sealer and a retention/support ring of some sorts. I’m not sure about the long term viability of these repairs but something might have worked (the one I did is still holding)

I have repaired one 1200 heaxhead with cracks in the QD fitting boss on top of the fuel pump and it is still going strong after a couple of years and many miles.

What I did was machine up a very tightly fitting collar to press on/over the exposed boss, then heated it and pressed it on. That supported the OD of the boss while I (carefully) tapped the threads deeper into better material. When I reinstalled the QD fitting I shimmed it underneath using a special machined washer that sealed the top of the collar and positively held it down in place. It was a lot of work and was on a friends bike.

I’m sure not all the breaks/cracks are the same or the same depth so each repair will probably be unique and would have to be tailored to each instance.

Welcome to the board. If it's a plastic female, then I'd say it's most likely the original part. The kit available from beemerboneyard has a replacement female, but that doesn't help the leak on your collar.

I'm using the soft-set product that was provided with the kit. It appears suitable for plastic and brass, etc.

Afternoon Dundee387

Yes, that Soft-Set seems pretty similar to the LockTite PTFE based sealer I use.

Funny timing in relation to this thread. On Sunday, the black plastic boss (female threaded collar)on top of the fuel pump housing on my 2006 R1200RT starting leaking fuel. There was a white compound all around the fitting. Upon closer inspection there are numerous small cracks on the top of boss ring. The bike has never been serviced outside a BMW dealer. I did have quick disconnects installed two years ago, but I don't believe the female qd was replaced. Is it worth the effort to try to seal the female qd/collar connection and reinstall? I have just found out from MAX that you can't buy this part individually, but must buy the entire fuel pump assembly. I have already started looking for used parts. Any suggestions are appreciated. And, I am new to this forum process so I hope I have not hijacked this thread.

Thanks,

Ron

There was a thread on this repair. The fitting was installed using an epoxy adheasive, I believe it was JB Weld.

If you can find the thread it gives a walk through with pics.

Good Luck

kenthewrench

I use some stuff from Wurth products called Pipe Sealant(with PTFE). Stuff works great on everything from oil drain plugs to fueltank petcocks.Never had an issue yet(knock on wood).

Thank you D.R., New Blue, Dundee37, for your quick replies...not sure which way to go yet...I will check out the archives...take care,

Ron

Yeah I re-applied the Gasoila and tightened it up more than the first time.

It works! Thanks for the help everyone.

Archived