IGNORED

Oil level

GRB60

I did my first service on my '11 RT last week. Drained all the oil out, installed new filter and 4 litres of oil (exactly). According to the sight glass, it's over the max level. Need I worry? Drain some out? Do nothing?

Thank you for your advice!

Next time don't just dump in the four litres without checking the level as you go. I wouldn't assume that every last drop drained. Put in three litres, then add the fourth a bit at a time, checking as you go.

You ARE checking the oil level on the CENTER STAND, right?

There's unsubstantiated rumors that SOME have actually tried to read their oil levels while on the SIDE stand. This no workee!

(GRIN)

If you added the 4 litres but have NOT run the engine, then your oil filter hasn't filled up yet. That will lower the level a lot.

Regards

Bernd

Yes, it was on the center stand and after having run for a few minutes. I guess I'll do nothing. The bike's brand new and should consume a bit. It can't be TOO full as to cause damage with 4 litres in it. Next time I'll stop short and see exactly what it takes to get to full.

did you run your bike until hot then park it before draining the oil?

if you run it for a short time only, oil is pushed up into the cooler and will not drain back until the thermostatic valve is up to temperature. if not in the sump it won't drain out. then when you add 4L you are overfull.

Excess oil will be puked out the breather into your air box - you'll find a drain screw on the airbox.

Always run the bike to operating temp before checking the oil - then only add to the centre dot - on the centre stand.

The oil capacity is 4 litres, so unless you drained all of the old oil, there's probably some still in there, so it's likely to be a little overfull now. That said, it probably won't be much. With a new bike, excess oil will burn off or be blown out soon anyway, so if it were me, I'd just leave it in there, ride and not worry. :thumbsup:

Next oil change, drain old oil and then add new oil slowly. Add about 3.5 litres and then check level. Top up as necessary to the middle of the sight glass. Any left-over oil from your 4 litre pack can be used for topping up between oil changes. :thumbsup:

All they said is true... but I hesitate to add. You are sure you added 4 Liters, not 4 quarts? Was there a quantity left in the last bottle?

Most containers here are calibrated in Q's not L's. If you did this, you would not be the first...

Thanks, everybody. Definitely put in 4 litres.

I'll leave it alone unless it exhibits some sign of trouble and be more aware next time I fill it.

Paul Mihalka

Well, here we go again. Create the mystery of oil in the R1200 (and all other oil/hex/camheads) bikes, when there is none. The motor takes 4 liters (4 quarts in R1100/1150), you put in 4 liters or quarts, end of story.

Another detail I personally disagree with - needing to have the motor warm when changing oil. When I change oil, it is always after a good ride, but possibly the next day. At the end of the ride it stays on the side stand. ALL the nice warm oil drains to the sump and stays in the sump. When I drain it, I let it drain for a hour or so, doing other things. The oil is cold and a bit thicker, but it is oil, not butter. It will drain out. In go 4 quarts because I have quart bottles, end of story. Yeah, of course, I changed the filter.

All they said is true... but I hesitate to add. You are sure you added 4 Liters, not 4 quarts? Was there a quantity left in the last bottle?

Most containers here are calibrated in Q's not L's. If you did this, you would not be the first...

Four liters is more than four quarts. However, as others have stated, even if the engine is warmed up properly, there's still going to be a little oil left in the engine. On my RT, I've found that four quarts grings the level almost to the top of the sighr glass with just enough space left for easy reading.

In response to:

Poster: Dave_in_TX

Subject: Re: Oil level

Originally Posted By: hopz

Most containers here are calibrated in Q's not L's. If you did this, you would not be the first... [/Quote]

Four liters is more than four quarts

I think there are 1.14 liters in one US Quart.

Paul Mihalka

Four liters is more than four quarts. However, as others have stated, even if the engine is warmed up properly, there's still going to be a little oil left in the engine. On my RT, I've found that four quarts grings the level almost to the top of the sighr glass with just enough space left for easy reading.

I don't think there is much more oil left in a well drained engine than in the just quickly emptied oil bottles ;) . I think we are splitting hairs.

Note: 1 quart = 0.9463 liters

I think there are 1.14 liters in one US Quart.

Nope, there are .946 liters per quart. But Paul already pointed that out.

When I change & pre-fill the filter, adding four quarts of oil along the way is the norm. No reason to measure unless you have a big puddle under the bike.

I drain the oil from my 08 RT overnight so most of the drain back oil comes out. I do place a new small container under the drain hole just to see what comes out overnight and it is usually about 3-4 ounces more.

If I feel like the effort I also lean the bike as far left and as far right as possible to drain as much from the valve covers as possible.

Even with all this effort 4 quarts still puts the new oil level slightly above the top of the sight glass.

BB

I usually do my oil changes on some decent 40 degree day up here above the Arctic Circle in northern Vermont in the unheated shed that stores our bikes. Let it drain for a day or two.

Only decent point I am trying to make is when I add the oil back it initially always shows way over the glass. The cold oil can take several days to percolate down through the engine into the oil filter and displace the air in the filter. You have no worries. Just add less than the 4th liter/quart of oil next time and top it later.

FYI - three signs of Spring in Vermont: 1) It's St Patrick's Day (those who wait for the Vernal Equinox are 4 days late). 2) Saw a black bear yesterday so they are out of hibernation and 3) Road my bike to work (35 degrees at 730am).

Archived