IGNORED

Thinking I'll ride a 2007 Ducati GT1000 tomorrow...

Twisties

.....but r u looking to buy it? :S:wave:

That is the question... I'll know after I ride it. I've never ridden anything like it.

Stock except for Givi screen, Ducati comfort touring bars, full Termi exhaust and ECU. 3500 miles.

Matt, Kazoo

I once road a SC 1000. A few months later I bought a Monster. Be careful of that first ride. The sound is intoxicating.

I had been thinking of a V-Strom DL650 (I wanna be like Matt when I grow up), but then this came to my attention.

Looking for a canyon carver and city bike. Does this fit the bill?

I've ridden the Wee, and it could also be a tourer, and I like the revvy engine... It's certainly to my mind a better choice than a BMW F-XXX GS for a canyon carver and all round bike. But I don't really need another tourer...

Decisions, decisions...

In response to:

Poster: Twisties

Subject: Re: Thinking I'll ride a 2007 Ducati GT1000 tomorrow...

Originally Posted By: Lmar

That's a nice looking bike!

Look who's causing trouble again, just saying. :):):clap::thumbsup:

I'm not trying to get anyone in trouble, but I still think its a nice bike. :grin:

I had been thinking of a V-Strom DL650 (I wanna be like Matt when I grow up), but then this came to my attention.

I've ridden the Wee, and it could also be a tourer, and I like the revvy engine... It's certainly to my mind a better choice than a BMW F-XXX GS for a canyon carver and all round bike. But I don't really need another tourer...

Decisions, decisions...

Buy the DL and drop your gearing it'll be more fun in town when you want to go out with Edddd to abandon Whip the DL will carry more photo equipment... :rofl:

Decisions, decisions...

Buy the DL and drop your gearing it'll be more fun in town when you want to go out with Edddd to abandon Whip the DL will carry more photo equipment... :rofl:

There's a DL in JAX.... $2650... Although I think there are some lower mile bikes with luggage for $3500-$5000 around, mostly in the South. The DL will carry more photo equipment.

There's a DL in JAX.... $2650... Although I think there are some lower mile bikes with luggage for $3500-$5000 around, mostly in the South. The DL will carry more photo equipment.

Alternate motive for the trip? I'll check one out and ride it out there for you if you'd like, only because I like you guys.

And I've never flown out of SLC.

Decisions, decisions...

Buy both! How sweet would that be?

Jan,its OK to admit you want to be more like me.

I do Kathy, I do. I wish I had your way of saying what needs to be said in a supportive way.

I wanna be like Matt when I grow up

You can do one or the other, but not both... :)

you are so off the Christmas card list now :rofl:

I wanna be like Matt when I grow up

You can do one or the other, but not both... :)

you are so off the Christmas card list now :rofl:

The list of disappointments in my life just got a little longer...

Paul Mihalka
Well, golly gee, I think I'll ride the Ducati, too. :lurk:

Yep, go do it! "A girl can't have too many motorcycles!"

Turned out it was a little tall for me, but perhaps with the low seat I could get more than my toes down. Jarvis, our neighbor, said they make a low seat. Sure was torquey. :grin:

OMG!!!! Holy S*** Batman!!! (and all that stuff). Oh yeah, and :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

Did I say, OMG?

He didn't have a plate on it, so it was just a little neighborhood ride for 20 minutes. I did rev it to 7k from a standing stop in 1st, made a few city street turns, and found a parking lot for a fast stop and a few figure 8 box exercises.

With the full Termi and ECU it's probably putting out as much torque as the RT, and nearly as much HP, in a 400+ lbs package. A short wheelbase, and naked profile complete the picture.

On starting the engine delivers a deep throaty note, with hints of a concealed roar... Controls and layout are standard, and operate smoothly. The clutch actuates lightly and seamlessly with a fluid friction zone, and provides a feeling of complete control that I have not experienced on any other bike. Finally the term "feather" has meaning. The transmission is buttery smooth and willing to go where it is sent without the slightest degree of hesitation. As with the other controls, the throttle is smooth and responsive to the lightest touch, yet offers that sense of confidence that comes with complete control. There is, simply put, no learning curve necessary for this bike. One gets on and is immediately comfortable, and ready to ride.

Oh, the riding! Power delivery is smooth and abundant throughout the 3000 to 7000 rpm range that I was able to access in the neighborhood. Acceleration is remarkable, and unstrained, leaving a feeling of strength and power, and seemingly ready to deliver more. Handling is a joy. Turn in is effortless, and the figure eight box was as well. Stopping was smooth and efficient, with controlled nose dive.

The engine is a bit rough coming off the RT's boxer, and had a thumper like feel to it. This is a bike for those who want to feel the engine's every power stroke.

The suspension was rough as well. Although handling was impeccable, and the chassis well controlled, that control is achieved at the expense of a stiff and jarring ride at the rear wheel. Perhaps some adjustment may have helped, however, in talking to the owner, he agreed that the bike needs Ohlins.

I found I was putting a lot of weight on my hands, despite the upright riding position. I would need to work on the ergos.

All in all this is a very pretty little thing that might meet my goals. However the uncertainties raised by the riding position, rough suspension, and somewhat more engine vibration than I would prefer mean that it will need to a wait a bit. I told the neighbor that if she still has it when the canyon roads open up to motos, I might take it on a longer spin and see how I felt. But my immediate conclusion is that I would not be happy doing 200 mile days on it, which our local canyon rides sometimes demand.

So was it a sport classic (or sometimes they call it a Paul Smart edition depending on the model year)?

Like this: 1003593.jpg

Oh I see, that is a bit less agressive but the same motor. I have probably ridden 3 or 4 thousand miles on this one by now (friend back east owns it, just rode it again last week for a few days). I have found the low bars acceptable but was very surprised as I expected it to be a torture rack. Longest day so far was probably around 400 miles of east coast roads....that seat is amazingly comfortable....did the one you rode have the dry clutch? I really like the dry duc clutch and tranny.

ducn.jpg

I didn't realize there was a dry clutch option. I had read a wet multi-plate clutch was in it when I checked the specs for the model, but did not think to ask. If I see the owners I'll ask them.

I don't know if you can tell from behavior/feel. If so, probably wet clutch.

I think that's basically the same bike. This one had the touring handlebars on it, and it looks like the other major difference is that this one is set up for one or two riders while the one you've ridden seems to be a solo bike. Maybe the suspension is different due to that? But the overall bike looks nearly identical. What model is that?

The dry clutch would be louder most likely but I am not familiar with that model.

Good RR. Most I can say, these damn bikes are very addicting, but I still have the will power to sell it!

The funny thing was when Sharon took her her turn. She was a little hesitant getting on because she was on the balls of her feet. But I pointed out that it is very light. So she gets on, and I'm thinking she'll start out slow to get the feel of it...

But the bike opens up into an immediate roar, and Jarvis and I just look at each other and say, "She's Gone! :) " She gets back in about 10 minutes, and reports, "I can't believe I never stopped in the whole ride." I think she did feel that she would need the low saddle if she were to ride it regularly.

Taking off is a Ducati thing! LOL. I like to see how fast we can get going without lifting the front tire, makes for a square rear if you keep it up! :-)

The light weight is pretty cool also. Rossi says it will not turn, but I think he is several layers removed from this pedestrian.

Now that the test ride is over, I will chime in. I didn't want to bias the test.

Everything you describe is right on and pure Ducati. I do not recall if the clutch is wet or dry but that sucker will rattle at a stop light, and enough to draw attention... two kinds of attention.

The first is the civilian who has no knowledge of the bike. He/she will be concerned and look at as if they have sympathy and worry. They will just know you are headed to certain failure and expensive repairs. The other is the one of 500 who knows Ducati. He will chuckle, look at you with envy and think of his last ride on one.

They are almost always geared too high. That is to say that first gear needs, no, it begs for more throttle than you thought necessarily. This is easily cured with a smaller front sprocket. This leads me to observe that this is one difference between Ducati and BMW. There are numerous options for set up on the Duc.

I know the Classic is a beauty but the Diavel will be here soon. It may fit the bill too.

If either, or both, of you care to try the Triumph... be my guest.

As fas as I know it is officially referred to as the sportclassic in 2006 (and had the dry clutch/single sidded rear shock) and then in 2007 it became the Paul Smart edition, basically the same but but with 2 shocks and they did put a wet clutch on it but that may not have been until 2008.

The issue you will find (from what I have seen) is parts (stock and aftermarket) are a bit few and far between (and may be for all these type of Duc's) and apparently their are few options for upgrading the suspension on these bikes as the front fork isn't easily modified. I have seen bike with front ends swapped from 998's and the like. Also the spoked rims limited the options for the front brakes (they are very wide and have mimimual clearance on the calipers) and some realy hard cores have switched to different rims to address this issue.

I saw one for sale recently in the bay area that had all the mods, guy was asking 11K and claimied he has 6K in aftermarket not including labor....I was very tempted....

As fas as I know it is officially referred to as the sportclassic in 2006 (and had the dry clutch/single sidded swing arm) and then in 2007 it became the Paul Smart edition, basically the same but but a conventional swingarm and they did put a wet clutch on it but that may not have been until 2008.

The issue you will find (from what I have seen) is parts (stock and aftermarket) are a bit few and far between (and may be for all these type of Duc's) and apparently their are few options for upgrading the suspension on these bikes as the front fork isn't easily modified. I have seen bike with front ends swapped from 998's and the like. Also the spoked rims limited the options for the front brakes (they are very wide and have mimimual clearance on the calipers) and some realy hard cores have switched to different rims to address this issue.

I saw one for sale recently in the bay area that had all the mods, guy was asking 11K and claimied he has 6K in aftermarket not including labor....I was very tempted....

Wow! That's great info. Thanks.

Well, frankly, I think the little Wee might be a better fit for me anyway. But that Duc sure is a fun bike. I'm still grinning....

But, I'm not looking for a project.

CoarsegoldKid

Jan, my experience is with a 1000S2R Monster. If the bike has a dry clutch it makes chatter at idle as Bob said. Mine has a full cover. Many have half or no cover. I'm used to the sound now. The suspension is modifiable, Race Tech, Traction Dynamics and others make parts for those bits. My Monster has Traction Dynamics fork cartriges and a Penske 2 clicker shock. I swapped out the low bars for dirt bars. The exhaust is a Quad D-box and is louder than stock. No one I ride with says boo about it. At just over 400 lbs with 85hp and 70ftlb torque it accelerates like a bat out of hell. 600 sport bikes might be much stronger in that respect. It also consistently gets 50mpg. Tune up time I'll be spending more time on it than on the RT that's for sure. New stuff to learn. Carrying capacity on the Monster nil with the seat cowl on. A back pack is how I carry stuff. Saddle bags are available but I care not to buy them.

I enjoy the bike but with the stock seat riding 200 miles of canyon carving, I'm done. Too cheap to buy a custom seat. Rarely do I get in 5th gear as I keep the motor reving around 5k and around here that's fast enough most of the time. I'm sure with a seat swap and suspension adjustment Sharon could net her feet on the ground. On the Monster there is a ride height adjustment. But you guys need different spring rates anyway so that really doesn't matter unless you get two bikes.

Before the end of the year I'm thinking I'll have a used Honda XR650L for local dirty roads.

My 2007 1000S2R just had a the main crank roller bearing come apart at 10,000 miles. All dealer tune-ups, oil changes, ridden well and maintain as per the book---I am not happy. I'm sticking with BMWs from here on in. Fun bike, but super high maintenance.

Archived