IGNORED

Photo resizing software -- need advice

doc47

With parts of Japan devastated, North Africa in flames, and God knows what else is going on, I have a question about software.

With my new Windows 7 operating system Microsoft, in its infinite wisdom, decided to eliminate Picture Viewer, which was a great little piece of software. Best about it was a simple system for decreasing the file size of photos.

Living where I do, with a relatively slow internet connection, large files take forever to upload. Can anyone suggest software for a Dummy for resizing my photos?

Doc, paint is still part of the windows 7 OS, it's not great but it'll do. If you can download something like the gimp it'll give you a lot more capabilities and it's fairly intuitive while being a little bit funky to get used to.

http://www.gimp.org/windows/

I like IrfanView, www.irfanview.com I took a quick look at the download page but can't tell how big it is, always been reasonable in the past. It can also be installed on a memory stick so if you get somewhere with a good connection you could do that.

Joe Frickin' Friday

Microsoft Photo Editor is suitable for resizing images. Was included standard with Office '97 and Office XP, but I'm not sure whether it was part of the default installation or not. if you have one of these versions of Office installed, look in the start menu, in Microsoft Office -> Microsoft Office Tools folder. If you've got it and it's installed, that's where it'll be.

I like IrfanView, www.irfanview.com I took a quick look at the download page but can't tell how big it is, always been reasonable in the past. It can also be installed on a memory stick so if you get somewhere with a good connection you could do that.

I too like Irfanview. The latest version is 1.5Mb

Andy

Irfanview is great software but way more features than I need.

Couch, the link you sent is perfect!

Thanks to all for your advice. I am so glad for this community.

Couchrocket
Irfanview is great software but way more features than I need.

Couch, the link you sent is perfect!

Thanks to all for your advice. I am so glad for this community.

Glad you found it useful. I am a fan of simple "one purpose" software for some things - this is one of them!

Hey Doc

I used to use XP and this is what i used - http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx

If you are using XP, it's worth a look for other tools as well.

For image resizing in Win 7, I use this - http://imageresizer.codeplex.com/releases/view/30247

You need to down load the appropriate one based on your system, 32 or 64 bit.

Works exactly the same as the XP version. Right click and save the size you want.

Easy peasy as my daughter says.

Hope it work for ya.

Cheers

Steve

I use Multiple Image Resizer . It is freeware and allows you to run batch conversions so you can re-size more than one at a time. I use Photoshop most of the time but that's overkill for what you are looking for.

I really liked picture viewer too. You should have an app called Windows Photo Viewer in Win 7 that will allow you to downsize photos on the fly when you select email. Not sure on this as I haven't used it.

Another option is Picasa. It's free (from Google), allows you to organize all your photos and even has face recognition and a search function that are very effective. I still find the interface a bit confusing despite the fact that I use a great deal of this type of software every day.

Archived