IGNORED

09 R12RT Reppacing windshield support arms

WildWilly

Searched and searched and couldn't find what I was looking for. Replacing the windshield support arms on my 09 R12RT and wondered if there was a how-to posted on this site. I "think" I know what needs to be done, but I'm looking for tips from someone who has been there and done that. Any & all help will be greatly appreciated.

I completed this project, without much drama, about a year ago. First I printed out a parts microfiche page so I could see what was in there, and then I was careful not to drop/lose any of the little fastener clips. I did put the windshield in its highest position before removing it and the arms, but I don't recall having to remove any fairing or dashboard parts.

ive done the job on my 05 rt and i did not have to remove any tupperware, but i was extra carful not to drop the clips down inside, i hope you are not replacing the struts with the factory ones? there is a company out there who makes aftermarket struts that are made of solid aluminum and are much stronger, not pot metal, dont remember the company but a search should help you find them.

Have the westtool aluminum arms and removed the windshield and put the arms in their highest postion. Looks like I would have to remove plastic to get at the clips. Will look again tomorrow. Thanks to everyone for the replies.

ive done the job on my 05 rt and i did not have to remove any tupperware, but i was extra carful not to drop the clips down inside, i hope you are not replacing the struts with the factory ones? there is a company out there who makes aftermarket struts that are made of solid aluminum and are much stronger, not pot metal, dont remember the company but a search should help you find them.

I would suggest you warm the plastic a little, not much just make sure it's not -5C like it was when I managed to break one side of the U clamp the arm sits in on mine. Luckily I managed to repair it with some two pack Araldite adhesive as it didn't break completly.

Lesson learned tho. If the pin doesn't tap out pretty easy, warm the plastic lightly and use a small G Clamp, nut socket and torx socket to push them out.

Just some free advice from someone who made a mistake in the depths of winter. I think my Brain was frozen!

\v/

My RT resides in a heated storage area so cold will not be a problem. But I apprecaite the advice. Took another look today and I'm going to have to figure out how to remove some more plastic. Can't even get close to the pin to attempt removal.

I would suggest you warm the plastic a little, not much just make sure it's not -5C like it was when I managed to break one side of the U clamp the arm sits in on mine. Luckily I managed to repair it with some two pack Araldite adhesive as it didn't break completly.

Lesson learned tho. If the pin doesn't tap out pretty easy, warm the plastic lightly and use a small G Clamp, nut socket and torx socket to push them out.

Just some free advice from someone who made a mistake in the depths of winter. I think my Brain was frozen!

\v/

AdirondackJack

Wildman!

Here's the info you need:

Installation Instructions- Replacement Windshield supports

15 minute job. We installed ours yesterday afternoon, here's what I remember:

- remove all torx bolts holding windscreen on. be careful not to drop windscreen (you can wrap yours with plastic wrap during this process to protect it if you want)

- pull off windscreen frame mount (black plastic piece over both arm structures; it just pulls off)

- remove 2 black-coated torx screws on the top of the dashboard.

- remove both mirrors (just pull straight back), then unscrew both torx screws holding dashboard face on. Now that dashboard piece will peel back far enough to see the top portion of the mounts.

- Pull off the circlips that are holding on the short 1" or so "axles" for the front/lower mount on each arm. We used a small flathead screwdriver.

- Remove the axle; I got it out by putting a small awl on it and (very lightly) tapping with a rubber mallet.

- Peel back the dashboard piece, and remove the circlips on the axles that hold the top/back part of the windscreen mounts. Remove the axle the same way (I used the same awl, and the rubber mallet to very lightly tap it out). Make sure to keep hold of the spring, and take note of how the spring is attached on the mount.

- With the support arms now completely free, just remove the bushings (I used a small flathead screwdriver, placed it right in the middle and twisted)

- Pull back the dash panel (an extra set of hands helps here), and install one of the new arms with the spring attached correctly. Slide in the axle, this takes some doing to get right. You may want to grease this axle before replacing it. I used the awl and a rubber mallet to lightly tap it all the way back in, then replaced the circlip on the end to hold it in. Reinstall the other side as well.

- replace the bushing onto one of the arms, then replace the axle that holds it to the windshield support frame. (Re-grease the axle as necessary). Once in, use the circlip to lock into place. Repeat for the other side.

- Reinstall mirrors, reinstall screws on top of dash, reinstall windscreen base support, reinstall windshield.

Let me know if you have any problems.

Best,

Thanks for all the responses. Purchased a Haynes manual and feel comfortable removing some tupperware to get 'working room'. Thanks again for all the help, it's much appreciated.

Ended up removing the headlight assembly, with the help of my Haynes manual, and the job is done. I now realize that the headlight assembly didn't need to be reomoved, but my comfort level was high. Thanks again for the help and encouragement.

Archived