IGNORED

Quakes, Tsunami, and more to come

yabadabapal

yabadabapal

Japan got hit by a whopper and even part of the Central California, and oregon coast have been issued tsunami warnings.

Ive been following the gravitational changes as a result of the moon being the closest to earth in almost 20 years. In addition 2 huge solar flares from the sun are expected to affect some changes here on Earth within the next few days. Just this week I made sure my earthquake supplies were ready. I think we are going to at least have something here within the next few weeks. The biggest pull from the supermoon is around the 18-20 of march when it is full. What do ya think.

caught the news about 330am est. the video was horrific and interesting at the same time. the power of a torrent of h2o is amazing.

If you know anyone in the coastal areas of Hawaii, California, Oregon, Washington, Alaska, call them NOW. The tsunami is traveling at 500 mph and is to arrive in Hawaii at about 7:00 a.m.

I am working the control room at a coastal power plant (Morro Bay) and we have battened down the hatches. I've been through this before and it usually amounts to nothing, but we are preparing and hoping for the best.

Johnny J

Joe Frickin' Friday

The quake was off the coast of northern Japan. My in-laws are in Osaka, which is quite far south, but I've read reports from other people in Osaka who said they felt it there (no reports of actual damage that far south though).

It's like a replay of the quake/tsunami in Indonesia in 2004, with walls over water pushing miles inland. Dramatic footage here of Sendai airport being inundated. I expect Japan has better tsunami warning systems in place than Indonesia did, so fatalities should be far fewer. I've read 60 fatalities so far, not clear how many were from the quake and how many from the tsunami.

EDIT: they've found several hundred bodies in coastal areas now. :(

One of Danielle's life long friends is currently a Doctor stationed at the Air Force base outside of Tokyo. Danielle has made calls and sent emails, but communications seemed to be either down or overloaded (not surprising). Considering her profession, I'm assuming she is slightly busy right now anyway.

The pics and videos are very sobering to how much damage can be done so quickly by a disaster like this.

Likewise waiting for news from my cousin in Kyoto, also way south and inland so they should be OK. I expect I'll hear from my mother in England via her sister in NZ, small world we live in.

Surely a wave 100 to 250mm high has ceased to be a tsunami, or am I missing something? (strongly suspect that I am)

These things do appalling damage at full strength, I witnessed the carnage around Aceh and can vouch that it isn't pretty.

Here's hoping that this event fails to impact any further afield than it already has.

......think we are going to at least have something here within the next few weeks. The biggest pull from the supermoon is around the 18-20 of march when it is full. What do ya think.

Thus far seismically just a typical week in California & Nevada.

Ready for $5 gas? I would reckon the quake will put a major crimp on the supply and demand of fuel in Japan. This will have a major effect on fuel prices which no doubt will reverberate on fuel prices worldwide.

Tsunami hitting Ca coastline as I type.

Joe Frickin' Friday
Likewise waiting for news from my cousin in Kyoto, also way south and inland so they should be OK.

We've heard from my in-laws in Osaka now. It was felt as a magnitude 3 quake there, like being on a boat or something, but no signficant damage. Kyoto is about the same distance from the epicenter as Osaka, so things are likely fine there too.

Surely a wave 100 to 250mm high has ceased to be a tsunami, or am I missing something? (strongly suspect that I am)

Maybe they're talking about the height of the wave in the open ocean? Tsunamis move a lot of water, but they are long and shallow (typically less than 1 meter high) when traversing deep water; it's not until the get close to shore, in shallower water, where the wave slows down and gains dangerous height.

The picture from the Wikipedia article portrays things nicely:

220px-Propagation_du_tsunami_en_profondeur_variable.gif

Ahaa, of course; thank you Mitch. Perfectly logical when one actually makes the effort to think about it.

The lack of thought on my behalf is what happens when you read motorcycle forums at 0330 instead of sleeping. :dopeslap:

Paul Mihalka
Ready for $5 gas? I would reckon the quake will put a major crimp on the supply and demand of fuel in Japan. This will have a major effect on fuel prices which no doubt will reverberate on fuel prices worldwide.

Add to it unrest in Saudi Arabia...

Actually it could reduce the price of gas. Refineries in Japan can't refine crude oil and that could result in a increased supply of crude oil.

Current reports say West coast has had some damage and more waves on the way. BBC reports the earth's axis has been shifted 10'. This level of damage and power is mind boggling.

yabadabapal

The Fukushima nuke reactor has been shut down in the area but because of lack of power for electricity, they dont have power

to genereate water to keep the reactor cool. There is a chance of a core melt down at the reactor if they dont get power to generate water flow into the reactor. The US Airforce is on its way to the area with emergency coolant for the reactor.

The Fukushima nuke reactor has been shut down in the area but because of lack of power for electricity, they dont have power

to genereate water to keep the reactor cool. There is a chance of a core melt down at the reactor if they dont get power to generate water flow into the reactor. The US Airforce is on its way to the area with emergency coolant for the reactor.

I would spare some coolant from my RT but I can't find the drain plug. :grin:

Current reports say West coast has had some damage and more waves on the way. BBC reports the earth's axis has been shifted 10'. This level of damage and power is mind boggling.
You can find reports of 10cm, 10" and 10'. Looking at previous events it's probably 10cm.
Joe Frickin' Friday

I knew skyscrapers flexed a bit in wind/quakes, but I didn't know they were made of freakin' rubber.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

I knew skyscrapers flexed a bit in wind/quakes, but I didn't know they were made of freakin' rubber.

WOW!!

Can you just imagine the face of an ancient Egyptian engineer if s/he could see that!

WOW!!

Can you just imagine the face of an ancient Egyptian engineer if s/he could see that!

I think he would say, "But will they still be standing in 5000 years?"

Paul Mihalka

Seeing the takes of the tsunami moving onto ground was that if they showed something like this in a entertainment movie first thing I would think is how crazy, that could never happen... :(

bayoubengal

As Chief of Operations Plans I spent the day planning Air Force Reserve Command's initial response, trying to anticipate what inevitably will be asked of us, learned from the experiences of Indonesia and Haiti. Currently on call to stand up the AFRC Crisis Action Team. Suspect our stratlift (C-5s, C-17s) about to get even busier than they have been. One of those days you don't wonder if you've made a difference...

yabadabapal

Glad your helping out And proud of you Hutch. They lost alot. With one of those reactors glowing at over 1000 times the normal rate of radiation, I imagine the Air Force will continue many flights specifically to deliver coolant until they can get the power back upto cool her down. The international consequence of a core melt down so close to the ocean may depend on which way the wind blows. I wish you guys safe and well!

The Japanese probably have the best earthquake building codes and early warning systems in the world. Their early warning system put out warnings nationwide within seconds of the quake:

More than a minute before the ground began to shake in Tokyo, texted warnings hit millions of cell phones; stations interrupted their broadcasts; bullet trains came to a halt; and factories got urgent e-mails to secure their assembly lines....

...Japan [has] deployed thousands of sensors that detect fast-moving P waves. When sensors detect a quake, computers calculate its size and then broadcast warnings across the country. Today, that entire process took 8.6 seconds.

Given the size of this quake, I am astounded by the relatively small loss of life.

Given the size of this quake, I am astounded by the relatively small loss of life.

Location, location, location.

From what I understand, the epicenter was 80 some miles off shore.

Also in the coming days/weeks the number will grow

Here in Hawaii, we dodged a bullet. Oahu, Maui and the Big Island all got hit, the west/northwest side of the Big Island the worst, but all in all, we were fortunate.

Location, location, location.

From what I understand, the epicenter was 80 some miles off shore.

Also in the coming days/weeks the number will grow

This morning they are reporting 9,500 missing.

Good to see you Steve and Chris!

bayoubengal

Steve Chris

Glad you guys ok.

My sister in laws son is in Okinawa. After some anxious times he checked in shaken not stirred. But lots of families hurting. Prayers and much help needed.

Joe Frickin' Friday

Video

Summary: A guy is walking around Chiba (near Tokyo). The shaking seems to have mostly stopped, but he's walking around, watching the ground do strange things under his feet. It gets really interesting around 1:27, when he's watching fissures open and close, and ground water getting squeezed up the surface and then disappear again.

Video

Summary: A guy is walking around Chiba (near Tokyo). The shaking seems to have mostly stopped, but he's walking around, watching the ground do strange things under his feet. It gets really interesting around 1:27, when he's watching fissures open and close, and ground water getting squeezed up the surface and then disappear again.

Wow

Video

Wow

Uh.....yeah, what he said :eek:

Joe Frickin' Friday

Video

Summary: 15-minute continuous aerial video (with running commentary in Japanese) of the water progressing farther and farther inland. I've seen snippets and stills from this video, but this is the first time I've seen the whole thing. There are spots where drivers are barely escaping the water, and some spots where drivers stuck in traffic jams are abandoning their vehicles and running for high ground just before the water gets there.

If you have the bandwidth available, you can select a 720P resolution.

I've previously thought of a tsunami as a big-ass wave that pounds the shore hard, and then coasts far inland on pure momentum (imagine greasing a five-gallon bucketful of water up the hill of your driveway), but this shows something entirely different. It's like there's a big dial that controls sea level, and someone has turned the knob up 10 feet: the water isn't coasting inland because a wave broke on the shore, it's being driven continuously inland by the high sea level behind it. And it just. doesn't. stop.

I've previously thought of a tsunami as a big-ass wave that pounds the shore hard, and then coasts far inland on pure momentum (imagine greasing a five-gallon bucketful of water up the hill of your driveway), but this shows something entirely different. It's like there's a big dial that controls sea level, and someone has turned the knob up 10 feet: the water isn't coasting inland because a wave broke on the shore, it's being driven continuously inland by the high sea level behind it. And it just. doesn't. stop.
When you put the picture of the waves up the other day I thought "hmm, that's not quite right" but decided not to be picky - it's more like a swell than a wave.

The good news is I've finally located my cousin, he was in New Zealnd looking after my Aunt and Uncle who unfortunately are both in hospital and likely to spend the rest of their days in a home (they're in their late 80s). His wife is in Kyoto and says it wasn't bad there - they were caught in the Kobe quake a few years ago which demolished the house they were living in. His son is in London at college...

....and ground water getting squeezed up the surface and then disappear again.

I may be wrong but I'm guessing the water is from broken irigation lines/pipes.

Saw this during the Reseda Err Northridge quake.

Joe Frickin' Friday
When you put the picture of the waves up the other day I thought "hmm, that's not quite right" but decided not to be picky - it's more like a swell than a wave.

You are right, of course. That picture:

220px-Propagation_du_tsunami_en_profondeur_variable.gif

was not at all to scale. The intent was to illustrate the way the waves decrease in length and increase in height as they approach the shore, and they needed to exaggerate the heights in order to be able to show that. The reality is that in the open ocean the tsunami is 100+ miles long, and only about 1 meter high. That animation shows an open-ocean wave height that's about 1/2 its length. The waves coming ashore are similarly not to scale. As it hits the shore its height is typically 10-30 feet, but its length is on the order of a mile or so; you end up with a surge in sea level that lasts something like ten minutes before the next wave-trough arrives. Even after the sea level starts to subside at the shore, you've built up a pretty big "pile" of water on land whose leading edge continues to push forward even as its back edge retreats into the ocean.

The good news is I've finally located my cousin, he was in New Zealnd looking after my Aunt and Uncle who unfortunately are both in hospital and likely to spend the rest of their days in a home (they're in their late 80s). His wife is in Kyoto and says it wasn't bad there - they were caught in the Kobe quake a few years ago which demolished the house they were living in. His son is in London at college...

Glad to hear the news, Bob. :thumbsup:

.....There are spots where drivers are barely escaping the water.....

At the 10:00 mark you can see a tractor/trailer rig starting to back up for what looks to be about 1/4 mile until reaching a turnpike? entrance.

yabadabapal

This is interesting.

Dr. [David J.] Brenner said the iodine pills were protective, but were "a bit of a myth" because their use is based on the belief that the risk is from inhaling radioactive iodine. Actually, he said, 98 percent of people's exposure comes from milk and other dairy products.

"The way radioactive iodine gets into human beings is an indirect route," he said. "It falls to the ground, cows eat it and make milk with radioactive iodine, and you get it from drinking the milk. You get very little from inhaling it. The way to prevent it is just to stop people from drinking the milk." He said that the epidemic of thyroid cancer around Chernobyl could have been prevented if the government had immediately stopped people from drinking milk.

Crops can also be contaminated. "I wouldn't be eating an apple from a tree close to the plant," Dr. Brenner said.

Archived