IGNORED

Daytona 200 worth watching?

RPG

I plead ignorance. Stopped watching a few years ago when Mladin wasn't racing.

Is it still the same? Liter Class bikes? Dumahel, Hacking, Yates, Bostrom?

I'll probably turn it on but it's hard to follow all the recent AMA rule changes so was hoping for some commentary I guess.

thanks,

RPG

Dayton 200 is mostly 600cc bikes (except for 848 Ducati). DuHanel, Hacking, Yates are gone. Top riders are Josh Herrin, Danny Eslick, Martin Cardenas, Dane Westby, Tommy Aquino.

Liter bikes are a support class at Daytona. Top riders are Josh Hayes, Tommy Hayden, Larry Pegram (BMW), Ben and Eric Bostrom.

(Yawn)

Ron L

I believe the Daytona short track is on Sunday @ 3pm Eastern on Speed channel...no yawning there!

That's crazy talk, fellas. I went to the superbike race yesterday. That was the coolest goddam thing I have ever seen. And I've seen some cool stuff. The speed of the superbikes as they go by start/finish is absolutely appalling.

Saw my first AMA race at Barber few years ago, Mladin and Spies battling. Never knew you could go completely around the track without letting off the throttle. LOL

Incredible speeds and control by the riders, Daytona will be captured on my DVR for sure, love it!

P.S. Larry on BMW, that should be interesting.

CoarsegoldKid

When the Daytona Sportbike class began I was not impressed. When it ended last year I sure was. The Superbikes also had great paint swapping duals. I wouldn't count them out. Worth watching both classes. The Daytona 200 on the otherhand is a long race with lots of frantic action on pit row and great dicing throughout the back end of the pack. But it can be boring to watch the parade if the leaders spread out.

That's crazy talk, fellas. I went to the superbike race yesterday. That was the coolest goddam thing I have ever seen. And I've seen some cool stuff. The speed of the superbikes as they go by start/finish is absolutely appalling.

I love all scooter racing. I was merely giving the op an alternative...

I was sitting right where the riders turn into the infield course. Unbelievable how good these guys are. The racing was so tight , they were touching in the turns. Nobody pulled away on this race. There were four or five wide almost every time they crossed the start finish line. I'm sure glad I went.

I occasionally watch AMA road racing if nothing else is on, but, compared to their World Supersport brethren, they look like rank amateurs. And the tire fiasco made it look even worse. Even now, Dunlop is trying to distance themselves from Eslick's mishap.

That's why the last champion from AMA who went to WSBK won that championship in his first season and then left for MotoGP I guess.....

Dayton 200 is mostly 600cc bikes (except for 848 Ducati). DuHanel, Hacking, Yates are gone. Top riders are Josh Herrin, Danny Eslick, Martin Cardenas, Dane Westby, Tommy Aquino.

Liter bikes are a support class at Daytona. Top riders are Josh Hayes, Tommy Hayden, Larry Pegram (BMW), Ben and Eric Bostrom.

(Yawn)

Ron L

Martin has moved to the superbike class.

thanks, sounds like 'Moesha on the WB' has more to offer.

(double yawn)

Why don't you watch it for yourself and form your own opinion? Sure, the "purists" (or snobs) look down on AMA Daytona Sportbike class, but I find it highly competitive. Often, WSBK and MotoGP reminds me of F1; great machines but boring races. The Daytona 200 is unique in that I believe it is the only motorcycle race which has pit stops. IMO, this adds to the complexity of the racing.

(double yawn)

Why don't you watch it for yourself and form your own opinion? Sure, the "purists" (or snobs) look down on AMA Daytona Sportbike class, but I find it highly competitive. Often, WSBK and MotoGP reminds me of F1; great machines but boring races. The Daytona 200 is unique in that I believe it is the only motorcycle race which has pit stops. IMO, this adds to the complexity of the racing.

I did. But after the tire debacle, I guess I never regained consciousness :S. Been to a few local AMA races, Mid-Ohio in '05 was really good with Mat Mladin battling with Jason Pridmore and Miguel DuHamel. I just always thought the Daytona 200 was always special until the rules changed (and not entirely sure what all changed).

But I am planning on going to Indy in late August for the MotoGP. If nothing else, to see the best of the best.

I watched the 200 yesterday, there was some good racing and the finish was really good too.

It's not WSB, but it was pretty good

I haven't been there in 30 years, but I remember the first time we pulled into the infield in the family van. The speed those guys were going practically mad my heart stop. It scared me just to watch.

(double yawn)

I did. But after the tire debacle, I guess I never regained consciousness :S.

Too bad. It ended up being a great race and a spectacular finish.

I have to say that after several years of not watching the AMA races since DMG took over, I was very excited to see the level of racing amoung the superbike and the 600's in the 200. Really tight racing with a high degree of aggression. I know that what we had in the past were a couple guys that were who were at a higher level of skill than the rest of the field. One guy quit and the other went on to win WSB the first year and second year was i think 6th in the Moto GP. I think that we have an exciting season coming up in the AMA.

Despite the SNAFU's it was a great day of racing at Daytona. I went with a bunch of friends and we all had a blast. The 15 Lap Sprint converted the race from an endurance-strategy to all out track warfare. There was brave passing, wild cornering, and a general excitement factor that made the race even more fun to watch.

It was a beautiful sunny week at Daytona, and I encourage anyone whos never been to a superbike race to get yourself to the track!

Here is a video of the finish and the crash at the checkered flag..

http://www.kenspring.com/ken/pics/mcpics/2011/Daytona2011/MVI_race_end.avi

Also the Florida Airheads hosted a great campout!!

DaytonaBMWCampout_sm.jpg

Archived