IGNORED

ISP and Sim card

glennda

The time for me to fly over is approaching and I am wondering if anyone would have ideas about who to use for a wireless isp and mobile sim card please? The most appropriate that appears to cover most of the US is AT&T. Thank you in anticipation.

Unlike Europe, few US wireless companies--maybe not any--sell SIMs to pop in your phone. It's certainly not a matter of buying a card from an airport vending machine as at most European airports. So you'll probably need to buy an inexpensive prepaid phone. Those are available everywhere, including convenience stores.

Verizon has the best national coverage. In fact, there was a huge advertising war when AT&T was the only carrier with the Iphone because it didn't work in so many places.

If you are planning on using your GSM phone in the US then you would want to look at ATT and T-Mobile. You will be able to change SIM's. Otherwise you can buy a phone on limited use pre-paid plan. For ISP's using a an air card there are a number of choices including the three mentioned in the posts, but none are easily transfered from Europe to the US.

If you are planning on using your GSM phone in the US then you would want to look at ATT and T-Mobile. You will be able to change SIM's. Otherwise you can buy a phone on limited use pre-paid plan. For ISP's using a an air card there are a number of choices including the three mentioned in the posts, but none are easily transfered from Europe to the US.

Are you sure AT&T or T-Mobile sell prepaid SIMs like in Europe?

There is no reference to pre paid sims. The reference is that you can use the phone that you are familiar with using a sim from another phone from a GSM carrier. Providing it fits of course.

But, see, that's the point--in Europe and much of Asia you just buy a prepaid SIM from a vending machine and pop it into your phone. I had one of my old US phones unlocked for that purpose and have SIMs from UK, Singapore, and elsewhere.

In the US you only get a SIM if you establish an account (which requires a contract). They have SIMs that go in prepaid phones like the GO Phones, but I don't think they sell the SIMs alone.

How about buy a pre-paid phone from AT&T, pull out the SIM and stick it to your own (European) GSM phone.

--

Mikko

Oh boy I think I have started one here!!! Sounds like I may need to buy a phone. Love my i Phone as well! :(

I appreciate the advice thank you.

Beemer_Nancy

How bout you call your iphone carrier and see if they have reciprocity with a carrier here that could take care of your needs? I'd start there if I were going overseas.

That said, I use Verizon.

Oh boy I think I have started one here!!! Sounds like I may need to buy a phone. Love my i Phone as well! :(

It's a different market model here than the rest of the world--American wireless carriers underwrite the cost of handsets so they are very cheap (often free with a contract). But as a result, they're locked to one system or the other. E.g. a Verizon phone won't work on the AT&T network.

That said, prepaid phones are cheap. But, of course, you'd lose all the other Iphone features.

It's a different market model here than the rest of the world--American wireless carriers underwrite the cost of handsets so they are very cheap (often free with a contract). But as a result, they're locked to one system or the other. E.g. a Verizon phone won't work on the AT&T network.

That said, prepaid phones are cheap. But, of course, you'd lose all the other Iphone features.

That is how it works in the UK, except we can unlock the phones - at least one reseller unlocks every phone they sell - and pre-pay (we call them pay-as-you-go) phones have sims that can be put into your unlocked phone. We also get to keep our phone number even if we change carrier.

Sim-only deals are common and as been said, you can buy 'roaming' sims from vending machines.

When I travel, I put a pay-as-you-go sim into my phone so that if it gets stolen my contract isn't hit with vast charges.

Andy

Thanks Nancy. Spoke with Orange, they now link with T Mobile. All they can offer at present is a 6 month suspension of my contract while away and unlock my phone so I can use it as "pay and go". I will check out your suggestion, thanks again :thumbsup:

Archived