IGNORED

Help Needed for Autocom Issue

malcolmblalock

malcolmblalock

I have just installed an Autocom Super Pro AVI on my 09 RT. The system works well to talk on the phone and to listen to mp3 music. However, I cannot get audio from my GPS (2720 Garmin, hard-wired), and the bike to bike (Kenwood TK 3101 with PTT switch) gives me a loud tone whenever I'm in the transmit mode.

I can live with the GPS issue (although I'd like to hear what the sweet lady from England has to say), but I need to find a fix for the tone when transmitting.

The setup for the bike to bike radio is very simple; plug the cables together and it should work (It worked perfectly on a Sport 7 system on an earlier bike).

Any ideas on what I need to do to fix the GPS sound and the radio issues?

AdirondackJack

Quickest solution is to PM Adam Skoolsky (RocketMoto on this forum) and tell him Dave R. (Adirondackjack) recommended you contact him. He will know what you need to do. He is the best at this and has the most experience. Just click on the User List (above), and type in "RocketMoto", and voila!

Best,

Dave R.

Re. the loud tone in transmit mode, is the battery on the Kenwood fully charged? It will cause a tone when low on charge. Also check to make sure the toggle switch on the PTT switch is in the center position, not left or right.

malcolmblalock

I'm using it with the adapter that replaces the battery, so I don't think it's a power issue. It seems that whenever the Kenwood is transmitting, I get the loud constant tone. Or, if I have the PTT switch in the left position, it gives the tone, whether I'm talking or not. The only position it is quiet is in the center position, but in the center position, the radio is not transmitting.

Late this afternoon, I connected the radio lead directly to the Autoaom lead to see if the problem was in the various intermediate leads (PTT lead and extension lead). No loud tone! But, the person on the other radio could not hear me at all. So, the problem is not solved.

John Bentall

The PTT positions are down (left constant transmit) Centre PTT, right VOX-activated.

When you connected the radio to the Autocom directly, you should have been on Vox-activation mode only, but the load noise disappeared. Try getting the radio to work without the PTT switch by adjusting the VOX knob from one extreme to the other - making sure you can hear yourself via the helmet sidetone.

It could be a faulty PTT switch...

Any time you have a bike-powered device hooked to an autocom, you have to use ground loop isolation between the device and the autocomm. Otherwise you will get noise like you are describing.

Try the radio using batteries instead of having it bike powered. If the problem goes away, then a gli (from autocom - theirs works perfectly, but are expensive - or radio shack - bigger, and I found them to not be as reliable...ymmv) is needed.

Your Kenwood power source is insufficient. As noted above, try the charged OEM battery. That is the low-power tone and it comes on during transmit way before during receive because of the extra power draw (even with the OEM battery).

Your Kenwood power source is insufficient. As noted above, try the charged OEM battery. That is the low-power tone and it comes on during transmit way before during receive because of the extra power draw (even with the OEM battery).

++ The OP has his solution in a couple of the above posts, but keeps ruling out everything that is suggested. HEY OP--why ask for help if ya not gonna try a few of these suggestions??? :dopeslap:

malcolmblalock

Hello. I'm at Daytona for the bike races and have very limited ability and time to do and to test; hence, I've not provided any feedback on several of the suggestions. I made the original post to see if there might be a "quick and easy" fix. Having tried a few things with the time I've had available, I now know that I need to spend some quality time with it when I get home late next week.

The "low power" idea will be checked tomorrow morning before I leave for the races; if I have a power lead that's not providing sufficient power to the Autocom, it should be fixable in a few minutes. If not, I'll live with it until I get home.

The battery for the unit is at home, some 550 miles away, so I can't check that out until I get home.

I have an Autocom ground loop interrupter in place, so I don't believe that is the problem. With other applications, ground loop noise grew faster as engine speed increased. The noise I hear is a tone, not a whine.

I absolutely appreciate the solutions posted about my problem, and apologize for seeming to not be listening to those commenting. With the input of those who have offered suggestions, I now have some ideas on how to proceed.

I'm still open for other solutions for anyone who has an idea...

Archived