IGNORED

I heart Motus

FlyingFinn

Wonder when this is going into production? It sounds like a BEAST!

Simple Google search helped me answer my own question.....looks like 2011-2012.

Looks interesting, but I would rather have seen more of the bike on the road vs a pulsing symbol with music. I wish them luck and I like the looks of the bike so far.

Very, VERY few motorcycles have ever ignited as many positive feelings in me as this one does.

I can think of one.

Hey Mikko, got 72k you can loan me :grin:

I had not heard of Motus before.

I like some of what I see but will reserve assessment until I can see one up close & personal.

I agree, looks cool, but I'd like to see more of the bike and engine, and less of the pulsing red symbol... ;-)

I'm going to see if I can Google up some specs on that thing...

I'm wondering if heat off those pipes on your legs or possible burnt clothing or hands is a problem? The pipe location would probably be a show stopper for me.

Larry and Dave, If I can get to it/on it there will be pictures. I love the way that bike sounds from their video clips and I would realllllllly like to see them make this work.

skinny_tom (aka boney)

That is essentially the bike I've been looking for, aside from the power ratings and displacement.

The very simple valve train with hydraulic lifters means little to no adjustment. Nevertheless, any adjustment will be easy because they're exposed. Relaxed ergos. Adjustable suspension. Factory bags. The direct injection will likely result in good fuel economy.

The only question is weight, tank size and range.

I'm looking forward to seeing/hearing more about this bike.

Claimed wet weight 550lbs, somewhere I read the fuel tank holds 6 gallons. I'd take both figures as an "estimate" at this point.

--

Mikko

I'm sure they know what they're doing but I don't understand the ignition sequence. TDC, then 345, then 435, and last 630. That's fire on cylinder 1, then 345 degrees of crank before #4, then 90 degrees of crank later #3, and 195 degrees later #2 fires, and back to #1 in 90 degrees and it starts over again. I am reading that right, aren't I?

Single cylinder is one pop per 720 degrees. Most twins are one pop every 360 degrees, although Harley and other v-twins have a quick second pop at 270 degrees and then a longer dead cycle to get back to 720 and start over. I thought, based on my four cylinder cars and a lego model motor I built, that it would be one ignition every 180 degrees of crank with piston pairs #1 & #4 and #2 going up and down together. Seems it would be easier to balance things out.

---

what is a little interesting is they go through mounting the engine across the frame then go back to a chain drive. I know there is some weight and probably cost/engineering savings,,perhaps a lot I dont know, but there is also some cost in changing the drive direction of the output to do the chain drive isnt there? I am all in favor of doing away with annual shop services just for valves...now about the annual chain and sprocket swaps...although those are at home jobs even I can do...we will see what the price ends up being. I am in fear it will be an Indian like situation making this another bauble for the few wealthy left.

• 4 months later...

Motus is on the move.

Two prototype bikes are on a road tour across the United States.

They are gathering data on how the bikes work (extra data loggers on the bikes), testing new parts and showing the bikes to people at schedules "Motus events".

2011-07-1511-28-50677-L.jpg

Have you guys heard how this bike sounds?

--

Mikko

skinny_tom (aka boney)

They're going to have the bikes at Luguna Seca for the Moto GP races, then at Alice's the following Monday afternoon.

I'm hoping to get to Alice's to see them.

They're going to have the bikes at Luguna Seca for the Moto GP races, then at Alice's the following Monday afternoon.

I am looking forward to your report.

I truly hope they can make this work, on all levels.

Best of luck to them.

See you all on motus-st.com in a few years???? :lurk:

I was REALLY hoping to see the bikes there, Alice's is less than an hour's ride from our place.

But it's not going to happen, we're flying to Amsterdam this coming Saturday. :( No, wait :)

I agree about concerns with the pipes. They're just too exposed and to easy to touch. I can imagine jeans catching on fire at a stoplight.

skinny_tom (aka boney)

I am looking forward to your report.

I'm gonna do my darndest to get them to let me take a spin. ;-)

JerryMather

One of them was at the Rock Store over the weekend, probably on it's way to Laguna later this week. I wasn't there to see it first hand but it was brought to my attention by a buddy that was there. I'll be making a point to check it out up at Laguna.

oldironhead
I'm sure they know what they're doing but I don't understand the ignition sequence. TDC, then 345, then 435, and last 630. That's fire on cylinder 1, then 345 degrees of crank before #4, then 90 degrees of crank later #3, and 195 degrees later #2 fires, and back to #1 in 90 degrees and it starts over again. I am reading that right, aren't I?

Single cylinder is one pop per 720 degrees. Most twins are one pop every 360 degrees, although Harley and other v-twins have a quick second pop at 270 degrees and then a longer dead cycle to get back to 720 and start over. I thought, based on my four cylinder cars and a lego model motor I built, that it would be one ignition every 180 degrees of crank with piston pairs #1 & #4 and #2 going up and down together. Seems it would be easier to balance things out.

---

It took me a while to figure out that configuration. It is impossible to have an even regular ignition sequence on a four-stroke V4 configuration, unless you put each rod on its own separate throw on the crankshaft. That 90 degeee V, coupled with a 75 degree crank was probably a good compromise for power, balance, and smoothness.

Irregular ignition sequences may not be the ideal for smoothness, but they have some advantages. A lot of the in-line twins have a 180 crank. Most of the 350-500 Japanese twins have been this way. One pop at 0, the next at 180, then another 540 degrees to the next pop. Not as smooth as a 360 degree crank, but better for high rpm performance.

it looks like they're going to show them at A&S in Roseville next week also....not sure about a demo ride.

skinny_tom (aka boney)

---

It took me a while to figure out that configuration. It is impossible to have an even regular ignition sequence on a four-stroke V4 configuration, unless you put each rod on its own separate throw on the crankshaft. That 90 degeee V, coupled with a 75 degree crank was probably a good compromise for power, balance, and smoothness.

Irregular ignition sequences may not be the ideal for smoothness, but they have some advantages. A lot of the in-line twins have a 180 crank. Most of the 350-500 Japanese twins have been this way. One pop at 0, the next at 180, then another 540 degrees to the next pop. Not as smooth as a 360 degree crank, but better for high rpm performance.

Yes, and no. A lot of new bikes (and cars) are coming out with "big bang" configurations. Many race bikes have been doing this for years. The theory and practice is that each ignition sequence generates a pulse in the driveline that actually reduces traction each time it hits. So an inline four with 4 separate combustion events every 720 degrees, while capable of more power, is less tractable than an I-4 engine with a crankshaft designed to have 2 2-cylinder combustion events in 720 degrees. I believe the Yahama crossplane engine is even more complicated than that.

The Subaru WRX cars have big-bang engines in them now. Ever notice how they sound like a twin even though they're a 4?

Looks like a Honda ST without the plastic and chain drive? Why turn the power 90* to run a chain final drive? Whats the firing sequence on a ST or VFR? I remember when the Japanese were accused of coping other designs. Now I guess the tide has turned?

Cheers

Steve

skinny_tom (aka boney)
Looks like a Honda ST without the plastic and chain drive? Why turn the power 90* to run a chain final drive? Whats the firing sequence on a ST or VFR? I remember when the Japanese were accused of coping other designs. Now I guess the tide has turned?

Cheers

Steve

It may look that way, but the engine is what sets them apart.

one thing comes to mind. Possibly a LOT of heat off that motor. Maybe I'm wrong, but definitely a deal breaker after riding through Utah, Arizona on a pleasantly cool running RT.

RPG

Archived