IGNORED

Your idea of a best second road/street bike...

markgoodrich

markgoodrich

...assuming your main bike is a boxer or a K bike?

It's hard to beat our RTs or Ks, etc, for long riding, but what about the thrashing day rides, the quick trips to the store, the occasional track day, whatever?

I constantly obsess over getting another Honda VFR from around 2000, but really, the RT does just about everything it does, and is the same weight class.

Drachenfels

86 to 06 Kawasaki KLR 650. Stone axe tech, easy to work on, great for fire roads, commuting, or just getting out.

Farkles that make it a true 'swiss army knife' bike: SW Motech mounts for easy removal of Givi bags. Great for knocking around, each bag holds 35 litres of stuff (great for shopping), then the bags/mounts come off in seconds.

Then again, I bought my R1150RT last fall specifically for something more comfortable on longer distances...

Have you ridden a GS?

I traded my Boxer Cup Replika in for a GS because, as fun as it was to ride, the R11SBX was too narrow-focus for me. I wanted something that I could just hop on and do anything, and the R12GS fits the bill perfectly. With the Jesse bags on, I can do all my grocery shopping/errand running without a worry. It's a blast in the canyons, commutes, and takes my girl and me on weekend camping trips.

The RT is awesome, and it definitely has it's place, but if I were to only have ONE bike, it'd be the GS.

Take a test ride....

Dwight

Get something you've never had before, i.e. NOT another VFR.

05-07 Multistrada ?

Earlier model Triumph Tiger ? That triple motor is really sweet.

Aprilia Tuono. Great for track days.

If it were me, the Tiger'd be on top of my list. (or a Street Triple)

Another K bike for when mine is in for warranty of course! :rofl:

More seriously, given that my two K1300's have given me no warranty claims whatsoever over two and a bit years and circa 100000km, I'd probably look at something like an F800R for chucking about in the city.

Something old. The difference between an RT and a modern standard or even a modern sportbike is less than an RT and a great vintage machine that takes you back in time every time you ride it. The feel, the sound.... That would be my choice.

-MKL

Impossible question to answer considering that a boxer or a K bike could be anything from a hair on fire sport bike to a 1200 C. Without knowing that picking something complimentary would be tough

Spike

BMW F650GS fills the gap for me--very capable on the street, dirt roads, and light enough to just buzz around town doing errands.

markgoodrich

Impossible question to answer considering that a boxer or a K bike could be anything from a hair on fire sport bike to a 1200 C. Without knowing that picking something complimentary would be tough

Spike

Let me try to be a little clearer: the boxers and the K bikes are large, heavy bikes made for long distance riding. Some are closer to being sport bikes than others, but I'm just asking "okay, you got the big bike, what other bike do you want?"

It's interesting that so many of the responses so far have been larger, powerful bikes. I would have guessed a lot of answers like "SV650", or KLR, or the various smaller BMWs.

With that clarification I would suggest F650GS. Selling ours a few years ago was not one of my finer moments. What a great all around economical and fun ride.

Well, I just love the Triumph triple engine. I have a Daytona which is a sport bike and I love it. With ever increasing age, I wish it was a Speed Triple. For smaller riders with shorter legs, a Street Triple (nice and light).

Cheers,

Linz :)

Triumph Bonneville T100 or maybe a Thruxton. All the classic looks and breaks that work.

+1 for me on this.....but I prefer brakes instead of breaks ;)

I have stopped and drooled over a Bonneville Black many many many times. If I could justify a toy, I would buy one tomorrow

If I were buying a second bike I'd want it about as different from the RT as I could get yet still be usable.

The key parameters would be:

lighter

smaller

more nimble

less coverage from the elements

good looks

no luggage forcing me to take only what's on my back.

If I could comfortably fit on it (which I can't, but maybe you can)I would buy a 250cc screamer like a Kawasaki 250R.

Since those bikes are too small for me I'd look at anything 600cc's or below. I haven't researched it enough to pick a particular bike, but a Honda CBR would be up there.

The one exception I'd make to cc's below 600 is the Ductati Monster 696. If money was no object this is my #1 pick. I'd get this bike with a screaming paint job.

Another viable although non-bike option is to buy a used Miata and go spec racing.

leeinmemphis

Just recently my hooligan side has jumped back out. A couple weeks ago I purchased a '98 Honda XX Blackbird and it is a HOOT to ride. I still have a couple of others but for now the XX is my main "play" bike.

Triumph Tiger 800XC. The best all purpose bike I've seen lately.

If you want to get your money's worth at the track days, then you need a real sportbike.

I bought a new VFR back in 2002 as my backup/commute bike, saving the RT for touring. I then picked up a used 1150GS for a trip to Alaska. They ended up covering the bases better (for me) than the RT in every regard except passenger comfort, but I dodn't carry passengers. I found that I was riding my RT only about once a year, so I sold it.

I still have the VFR and the 1150GS. No plans to ever let either of them go, but I am considering getting a beat up DRZ400 for further dirt abuse. The things I have been doing to my GS are just cruel. If I had one of those new Tigers, I might be able to live with just one bike.

:rofl:

Paul Mihalka
Live with just one bike? :S Is this possible?
Oh, yes! Not that once in a while I wouldn't like to have two...

Most of the suggestions have been basically different versions of the same general sport touring bike. I'd get soemthing completely different. A small dual sport, for instance (CRF-230?). Or a full-on race replica (CBR-600?).

MV Agusta

like BMW roots traced to aviation.

Sporty, fast, you don't see one on every corner.

It will make you look 15 years younger...

:wave:

The best complement I've found for my RT was an Aprilia Falco. Riding each made me appreciate the other one more.

Vinny has a great list there and I'm sure any similar bike would fit the bill just as well. Having two sport-tourers or two all-arounders just doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

MV Agusta

like BMW roots traced to aviation.

Sporty, fast, you don't see one on every corner.

It will make you look 15 years younger...

:wave:

But make you feel 15 years older!

:rofl:

I always had just one bike, till I met a bunch of BMW riders/owners!

I like the triumph triple, street triple looks cool. Would like to keep my Duc and use the Super Tenere for utility stuff.

Something old. The difference between an RT and a modern standard or even a modern sportbike is less than an RT and a great vintage machine that takes you back in time every time you ride it. The feel, the sound.... That would be my choice.

Just by dumb luck, I may resemble that remark! I have an 86' Moto Guzzi LeMans 1000 as a backup. Not for everyone, especially if you don't do your own repairs on any older machine. Great for me though. I also like the Triumph triples (used to have a 955i Speed Triple before my current BMW) and the Triumph Scrambler except it has the wrong engine! All Bonneville Triumph derivatives should have the Thruxton motor IMHO! In the end my advise is to get something different from your 'A' bike. Which ever direction that takes you. :thumbsup:

If your looking for something different that is very reliable, simple maintenence, that you can do day rides and track days then take a look at Aprilia. You can pick up a 1st generation Mille with showa suspension for 3 to 3500.00 or an R model with Ohlins front and rear for 3500 to 4500. The Tuono model has the same running gear except an upright seating position for a little more. These bikes are notorious for tough long lasting motors and running gear. I had a Futura that I sold wiht 60thou on it and the valves were still in spec. I still have a 2000.5 Mille that I use for solo touring and day rides and a occassional track day with 30 thousand miles on it and has never needed a valve adjustment. Right now these bikes are a real bargin.

markgoodrich

Perhaps I should clarify something: this was really intended to be more of a "whaddaya wish you had?" thread, not advice for me...although I love all the comments.

I realize I need a minimum of seven bikes. So far.

Actually my RT is my second bike. I ride the R1200C more miles each year than any of the other bikes. The RT is a close second though as it does solo winter commuting and summer two-up vacation duty.

RichEdwards

As others have mentioned, the Triumph triples are excellent motors. I like mine in this:

Old_site_2011_colours_New_Tiger_800_Crystal_white_534x309.jpg

(The new Triumph Tiger 800)

If I were to keep a second bike, it would be my Silverwing. I love that thing, it's a great all-round bike, even though it's a scooter. =)

Well, I chose the F650GS twin. I sorta wish I had picked one of the Monsters. The interesting thing is that I always miss being on the RT when I am on the 650. :dopeslap:

markgoodrich

Slight digression: here in Austin there's a pretty vibrant scooter scene. Along with that I frequently see little bitty 2-stroke motorcycles, probably 50cc, with clip-ons, rearsets, the whole cafe racer bit, with the kids (always kids) dressed like they stepped out of a Mods and Rockers BBC documentary from 1966, right down to the half-helmets. What ARE those things? The bikes, not the kids....

I live about a mile from a stage coach road that dates back to the late 1800's and is a blast to ride. Since it's so twisty, there are almost never any cars. For that I bought my Husqvarna SM610 which rocks on that road. It's about thirty miles to the Pacific Ocean and back. I ride my RT for longer excursions.

IMG_7914.jpg

Drachenfels

Er, I have the KLR, and it's solid (upgraded suspension, added bags).

If we're talking about what I'd WANT.. well, I like my KLR, and love my RT... Thinking about a GS, but also thinking about a /5 or /6 for weekends.

Hmm... Aprila CapoNord would be fun. Buell Ulysses has a certain attraction.

There isn't a cruiser made in the whole damn world I'd allow in my garage overnight.. but that ugly Victory Vision is so ugly that it HAS to have some redeeming social characteristics (lord knows, it isn't looks).

Don't want a crotch rocket - don't want to duplicate what I have... but then again, why not? You can NEVER have enough guns or motorcycles... /grin.

Single cylinder would be my choice. In addition to my 1200GSA I ride an '08 KLR for around town and commuting my 15 miles to work. I am eyeing the new Husqvarna TE630 to replace it but it has been a great second bike. The KLR is just a real easy bike to hop on and run errands. Works great for a little exploring in the hills and it gets about 55 mpg.

scott r1200rt

just bought a G650GS as a second bike, to sit near the 1200RT. It really is a great little bike. There are some killer deals out there. You can get an 09 left over for 6250, that is only a few hundred more that the KLR and you get a center stand, 3 year warrantee, abs, heated grips, fuel injection, much better MPG, more HP all for a few hundred more, can't beat that.

Scott

Lone_RT_rider

I think it all depends on where you are going to do most of your riding on the second bike. Considering that I live in the foothills of the Smokies, this one caught my eye recently.

My apologies for the cell phone pics. I forgot my other camera.

1215106181_kXXW6-L.jpg

1215106081_7pvXB-L.jpg

By the way, the shot with the farkled version came in at under 8K before taxes, delivery and blah blah blah...

Shawn

ShovelStrokeEd

I have ridden the Thruxton and it is quite nice if a little down on power compared to my current bikes. Absolutely needs a front suspension upgrade and probably a set of rear shocks as well but then again, I'm spoiled. My Tuono Factory has full Ohlins suspension and my Triumph Sprint is sporting LE modified front forks and a custom valved and sprung rear Ohlins by the same guy.

Archived