IGNORED

Yes, another Autoswitch/PIAA thread.....

beemerboy

Okay, folks, here's the deal; I bought a used set of PIAA 1100x's from a friend in need of some quick cash. When they arrived I found them to be in great shape but with only about 6" of wire lead from each light. I sez to myself this isn't a big deal and that I'm sure I can hook 'em up with no problem.

Fast forward a few months when I'm at the local dealer telling him about the lights and he tells me he has a one last Autoswitch on his shelf and he'll make me a screaming deal on it. I take him up on his offer.

Fast forward a few years (yea, I know, I don't work that fast but I had family health issues to deal with) and now I'm wanting to assemble these items. I've emailed PIAA asking them if they sell their wiring harness separately but haven't received a response. After doing a search here it appears that I might not need their harness if I'm using the Autoswitch.

This is where I'd like some feedback. Do I need the PIAA harness? Also, I recall seeing some photos of places to install the small indicator light that tells you when the PIAA's are working. I cannot find anything in my search here or on a few other R-bike related sites.

Please help.

My R11RT came with the 1100X setup, autoswitch wired to the turn signal canceler. It was there when I got it so I'm not much help installation-wise. I do have the original PIAA and autoswitch instructions if you want a copy I can email it to you. There is a note that you must use the PIAA harness or you're doomed to the fires of hell (not really, I just threw in the fires of hell part). The little green indicator LED is fitted between the speedo and power outlet.

My R11RT came with the 1100X setup, autoswitch wired to the turn signal canceler. It was there when I got it so I'm not much help installation-wise. I do have the original PIAA and autoswitch instructions if you want a copy I can email it to you. There is a note that you must use the PIAA harness or you're doomed to the fires of hell (not really, I just threw in the fires of hell part). The little green indicator LED is fitted between the speedo and power outlet.

I went to a Catholic parochial school. If mean Irish nuns can't scare me neither can PIAA! Seriously, thanks for the fast reply with assistance! I recall seeing a photo (circa 2003) where one RT rider mounted the LED inside the right hand control housing. It was a very slick install but I've not seen it since. On the other hand it makes more sense to install it somewhere on the dash but I'm open to suggestions. Thanks again, John!

Randy, You don't necessarily need the PIAA wiring harness but you do need a relay for those 1100x lamps. The autoswitch just replaces a toggle or rocker switch to energize the relay.

I had the same setup, autoswitch and all, on my previous RT and now on my RS. With the RT I placed the green LED (which is part of the autoswitch, not the PIAA lights) behind the right hand speaker enclosure in the dash. With the RS I simply strapped it to the throttle cable near the master cylinder and aimed it so it was pointed at my head. It's very obvious when it's lit even in bright daylight.

You will need a relay and fuse to tie into the autoswitch. The power for the lights can run directly from the battery thru a 10 amp fuse into the relay. The autoswitch controls the relay. You have the wiring for that. Power from the relay to the lights. Ground them directly to the battery. Not hard to make from auto parts stores.

If you need help pm me.

Wow! I knew I could count on the collective to help me. John, Bobbybob, flat_twin, 94aero, thanks VERY much for taking the time to share your wisdom.

I may end up sending out an "SOS PM" but not until I study your comments and the diagram. And now to visit Amazon.....

Check your autoswitch to see if it is a one click or two click model. This is important to know when you go to test your installation. You will want to know how many clicks you should deliver to be sure to turn on the lights. In my installation I forgot I had the two click version and it caused a bit of "thinking" as to why the lights did not come on with only one click.

Archived