IGNORED

R1100RT dark tinted windshields

rich t

Picked up a stock length rt windshield and am considering having it tinted for summer riding in Florida, so I'm looking for more air in general. I'm 6'4", with lots of torso, so I sit high on the bike.

Does anyone have experience with dark tinted windshields?

Since I'm going to have it tinted, I can elect to tint it as dark as I want, but is there a too dark? Safety and visibility is the concern.

I'm currently using a Cee Baileys +2 euro cut shield. Haven't tried using the stock shield yet, so any feedback on the CB vs stock in the summer would be valued as well.

I am 6' 4" and I look over the top of the windshield.

Tape a black garbage bag to the windshield and take it for a short test ride, I think you'll find that a dark windshield isn't an issue.

Hi Rich and welcome! Tint it if you like but it would only be for looks. Why not cut that windshield wayyyyyy down? Take the windshield off and take a test ride with no windshield at all. It's a very quiet ride and the coolest possible way to ride an RT. I've seen the factory shield cut right down to just above the mounting brackets and it looked great. Perfect for summer riding in sunny Fla.

Peter Parts

A proper windscreen is a major part of happy riding.

I'm with Tobias and the carpenter that says, "measure twice, cut once." Easy (but not very pretty) to create mock-up to check out the sight lines and even wind patterns.

I've modified my own windscreens, at least for the last 40 years or so. Not hard to do, esp. if you start from some DOT windscreen. Since this is a key life-safety matter, don't do it unless you are confident you can do it safely.

So after-market things can help with wind-sculpting like Saeng edging.

Ben

Hi Rich.

I think you may have an issue.

In a perfect world a tinted screen is not a problem, but as conditions deteriorate, you need to be looking nearer and nearer the front wheel of the bike. Little things like riding on loose surfaces, fog, snow, or getting it on a repair truck, or even filtering in narrow spaces requires your eyeline to be very near the front of the bike. You would be potentially increasing risk of problems un-necessarily.

The summer cut down screen seems like a far safer, and neater and asthetically pleasing option.

A tinted screen IMHO would make the bike look very slab fronted too.

Andy

A proper windscreen is a major part of happy riding.

I'm with Tobias and the carpenter that says, "measure twice, cut once." Easy (but not very pretty) to create mock-up to check out the sight lines and even wind patterns.

I've modified my own windscreens, at least for the last 40 years or so. Not hard to do, esp. if you start from some DOT windscreen. Since this is a key life-safety matter, don't do it unless you are confident you can do it safely.

So after-market things can help with wind-sculpting like Saeng edging.

Ben

Any block in vision is my main concern. I like the trash bag idea too for test. I'm not gonig to be looking through the shield for the most part, true, but a small part of peripheral vision could cause the safety issue. 90% cosmetic, but on a 100+ degree day, that little bit of shade over the dashboard would help keep things a tiny bit cooler just like it was on the old airheads with the S fairings.

mat2chi other than the windshield Your RT is identical to mine. If I rode past you you would think I stole your bike.

I like the looks of the dark summer shield.

I had a solid black windshield on my Harley Ultra. It was shorter than stock but not that short. I did not think I would like it but after a little while I did not notice it.

Archived