IGNORED

new here

nbsdave

just joined, from sarasota, Fl. Have snooped this board a good bit and have begun the BMW learning process.

Am not an owner yet, but am beginning the hunt. have a line on a very nice 02 Montana with under 16k miles.

Curious as to what to look for before I make the purchase. I have always done as much on my bikes as I could, normal maint, adding lights, etc. Is a BMW less friendly to owner maint than, say, my Valkyrie?

Would welcome any advise-no rush, but am looking at the Montana at 5 eastern today!

Paul Mihalka

Welcome to this asylum! The Montana is a BMW R1200C. You can find a lot of information for that model bike at www.chromeheads.org .

Welcome.

The Montana is about the prettiest thing BMW ever made. I drool over them when I see them. So far as I know, they never made good reviews amongst cruiser owners and I think R/K bmw owners didn't much understand them, with their detuned engines. I think bmw was smart to exit the market, but have still considered one as perhaps a collector item, or for around town. good luck on your acquisition.

I think you guys mean Montauk. That's on Long Island, a long way from Montana.

Both Montauk and Montana were models of the R1200C. See Here.

I had a Montana. Got looks and compliments everywhere I went. I switched to a 12RT because I realized I wasn't into the cruising aspect of riding as much as sport touring.

well, it'll soon be mine. My check should clear the seller's acct. tomorrow and I'll pick it up saturday.

I like to do a lot on my bikes myself-oil, fluids, etc.

Will need a riders manual and recommendations for the best shop manual. Any ideas where to source? I don't even know how to take the side covers off.

Also want a riders backrest and need ideas for what/where.

Have always wanted a BMW-got my wish. Now how to get rid of the wide grin? Guess I'll just ride.

Now how to get rid of the wide grin? Guess I'll just ride.

Hopefully, the riding will actually make the grin larger. I know it does for me.

Best wishes!

Archived