IGNORED

Buy, fly, trailer, or cry: snowbird dillema

Peter Parts

Peter Parts

My wife who grew up in a tropic paradise, convinced me that we ought to buy a condo in Florida (north of Fort Lauderdale) and spend a few winter months there. As much as I hate to miss the joys of the Canadian winter, I have agreed.

I'd be grateful for any wisdom on my choices for ensuring a good machine to ride in Florida. Best would be to have my R1100S down there - which involves shipping or trailering (since I suppose I'll need to drive a packed family bus down there and back - 1500 miles). Or flying back and driving the bike down solo.

Or buying a secondary kind of smaller or older bike to leave in Florida. I won't need a canyon carver around there, just some kind of radar detector that beeps when you are surrounded by elderly drivers and plays soothing music.

Also some issues on getting good insurance rates when you have no local driving record.

Thanks.

Ben

Paul Mihalka

I know that Florida area quite well. We lived in North Miami for five years and my daughter is in Ft. Lauderdale/Pompano, we frequently visit. Unless you have a specific reason for that area, I consider it the least attractive part of Florida to vacation or retire. The whole Miami to Palm Beach strip is overcrowded, terrible traffic, and the farthest away from any semi-interesting riding. Flat straight roads, any change of direction has a traffic light or stop sign. Only fun riding is freeway ramps. There are plenty of those :) .

For a bike you would not use the fun capability of the R1100S. Something like a standard of reasonable size might be best. R R1100R or R1150R comes to mind.

Lets_Play_Two
I know that Florida area quite well. We lived in North Miami for five years and my daughter is in Ft. Lauderdale/Pompano, we frequently visit. Unless you have a specific reason for that area, I consider it the least attractive part of Florida to vacation or retire. The whole Miami to Palm Beach strip is overcrowded, terrible traffic, and the farthest away from any semi-interesting riding. Flat straight roads, any change of direction has a traffic light or stop sign. Only fun riding is freeway ramps. There are plenty of those :) .

For a bike you would not use the fun capability of the R1100S. Something like a standard of reasonable size might be best. R R1100R or R1150R comes to mind.

On the plus side, it is only 400 miles to Georgia!!

RichEdwards

Paul is right. The East Coast of Florida is good for the beach, not for motorcycling. The best riding is north of Tampa and up in the Panhandle where there are changes is elevation and curves. It's not the mtns. of Georgia. But it's some of the best riding available during the winter months.

A good bike for the East Coast of FL is one that tracks in a perfect straight line and does well in heavy traffic. It doesn't have to go faster than 30 mph.

Paul Mihalka

"On the plus side, it is only 400 miles to Georgia!!"

Yes, but... that is to the border of Georgia. North of Atlanta where the fun starts is 650 miles, one loooong day! At that time Maria still rode with me. Couple of times she flew and I picked her up at the Atlanta airport. No, thanks.

just some kind of radar detector that beeps when you are surrounded by elderly drivers and plays soothing music.

Also some issues on getting good insurance rates when you have no local driving record.

do not forget to install turn signals that refuse to turn off...

No worries on the insurance. Florida has plenty of experience with in-movers.

If you have not already made the condo purchase... I highly recommend (any) other option than the Gold Coast. What those other people have said is good advice. If you want Atlantic... go farther north.

Nice n Easy Rider

If you really decide to go with the Ft. Lauderdale/Pompano Beach area just make sure that any property you buy allows motorcycles. My mother has a condo in a planned community (Wynmoor)in Coconut Creek, just west of Pompano Beach. I thought I might ride the RT down there sometime to do a SS1000 but the last time I was down there I noticed a sign at the gated entrance stating that no motorcycles were allowed on the property under any circumstances. :(

Secret Buzzard

Consider horse country around Ocala. Lots of Florida's twistiest roads and out of the way of most hurricanes! Reasonable distance rides to Daytona, Orlando, Tampa, Jax, etc. No high speed rail to contend with! :D It's cooler than Miami in the winter but not quite as hot in the summer. My dad moved there from Boca and has grumbled a lot, but he did that in Boca too.

DavidEBSmith
If you really decide to go with the Ft. Lauderdale/Pompano Beach area just make sure that any property you buy allows motorcycles.

This is a very important point that's worth repeating. Homeowners' associations can make their own rules which virtually have the force of law. A great number of gated communities ban motorcycles and enforce that ban absolutely, to the point where motorcycle owning-residents have to park their bikes outside the property and walk in. Get a copy of the association rules before you buy, and it would be smart to get a letter from the association stating there are no bans on motorcycles in effect or pending. (If they ban bikes after you move in, that raises interesting and expensive questions as to enforceability).

As to what bike to buy for Florida, I have a friend who has a place down there who has had an RT and a KGT. Not necessarily what I would pick - riding-wise, a cruiser is probably perfectly capable for 99% of the roads in the state and for the climate. You wouldn't want a fully-faired bike if you'll be there in the summer (I've ridden to Key West in August on an RT, it wasn't fun), but if you'll be a snowbird only there in the winter, you could do with a little weather protection on those cold 60-degree days.

Peter Parts

Many thanks for good laughs.

I have two sisters in the vicinity and have made an offer for a condo in Kings Point (Delray Beach).

Thanks for tips on good roads. We have in-laws in Ocala.

Yes, condo corp. are a pain and not entirely unjustified given the mufferless state of biking in Florida. With the real estate woes (ha, ha, yipppeee....), some looking the other way with rules. My realtor did lots of checking and concluded the best approach is "don't ask, don't tell" but see if there are other bikes on the premises before buying. Some condos permit bikes in open-air parking but not garages (AKA in Canada as "parkades").

Tallman, yes, many scooters (yes with mufflers, no with helmets). Wish I had my old 1956 Lambretta. Had a drive-shaft! Quite a hoot riding over the Brooklyn Bridge after night school long ago.

OK... now for securing a bike. My best thought this minute is to drive the loaded car and then fly back for the bike (or vice versa). A bit tricky at those seasons of the year just before and after winter. But beats buying a beat-up UJC or Sportster or whatever in Florida and leaving it idle 8 months each year. Or possibly leaving a Florida car sitting idle and moving by bike.

Again, help and humor greatly appreciated.

Ben

Probably cheaper to trailer it and make one trip.

Can the family bus haul the packed load and a bike/trailer.

One trip, less wear and tear (3k each year at least) on the S.Something like the

trailer in a bag would solve storage of the trailer issues.

Or a fold up/stand up trailer could work too.

Depends on how much room you have for storage.

Hard to beat the trailer in a bag for that.

Peter Parts

Tallman -

Trailer-in-bag is brilliant. Friendly vendor. Near Fort Lauderdale. Great concept. Fun website. Can be shipped to Canada, for a few more nickels.

But $1100, plus a few add-ons needed.

Can't be used to carry along parcels. Not sure the tie-down method works for a tie-down as well as usual straps on bigger trailers or trucks.

Thanks.

Ben

keep a bike in Florida, if you have space. You already have a R1100s, you can pick up nice used R1100s for 4,500.00 all day long. Find yourself a nice one and leave it down there.

or maybe a nice R1100R. similar in price, and probably better for riding in FL.

Ben -

I have a good friend that lives near King's Point, so I am familiar with the area. As to whether the HOA allows motorcycles, I'm not sure, but no one looked at me funny when visiting on my old RT. I wouldn't leave it up to chance, however. Be sure they allow motorcycles or they will drum you outta town if they don't! The term Condo Commando was invented here.

I agree with Randy - buy a bike for Florida and keep it here. Chances are you drop in more than just for your winter visit, and you'll be much happier not dealing with the hassle of alternative arrangements.

If I had one bike for Florida in your situation, it would be a GS or an R. I have a Street Triple as my RT was just too hot year round. Problem is, the only reason to get on a BMW that is located in South Florida is to RIDE AWAY from South Florida, so make sure you have a bike that can go the distance.

I think you will enjoy the area. Delray Beach has done a nice job with their downtown in recent years, and King's Point is sufficiently West to get away from it all if that is your pleasure.

If/When we get to that situation I think we will rent for at least the first season. Gives you a chance to see if you really like the area for the social activities etc... that are important to you. My parents did this 20 some years ago and did not pull the trigger until round three. Took that long to figure out how close to relatives they wanted to be. :-)

Been in the same place ever since and are very happy with the ultimate decision.

Peter Parts

Thanks for help with core decisions. Appreciated.

Whatever shortcomings of biking in that stretch of Florida, I have to compare it to riding dressed like the Michelin Man in my Gerbings with electric cords around here in the winter... on a good day.

Over at the hifi forums, they have an expression "WAF" - wife acceptance factor which comes into play like when your loudspeakers are half the size of your living room and smell like a lumber yard in spring. So, my wonderfully cooperative and bikerly wife's wishes also play a role in location, etc.

Ben

Canook snowbird here. I trailer my RT and my wife's car behind a diesel pickup. The additional fuel amounts to approx 70 dollars per trip towing the trailer. This way I have 12 months on one bike, one insurance. The RT is fine here to ride Oct-April. I wouldn't do it any other way.

Condos ban m/c because of noise. I don't blame them.

Once you start this lifestyle you will wonder why you didn't do it 30 years ago.

Roads here are straight and boring but I look at it this way: better than looking at snow out the window. I put new tires on each spring and run the curved roads at home and then flat spot them here until they are junk.

Archived