IGNORED

Just a Little Excited

Mike

I got a (slightly) unexpected call today--we're land barons!

This wasn't supposed to happen until later this week, but we closed today on a small parcel (18+ acres) of land in southwest Wisconsin (the whole closing process has been done by snail mail, email, and wire transfers, and it just turned out that everything was in place today). It's located on a bluff overlooking the Wisconsin River (a somewhat distant view, two miles away), along the Great River Road. Someday we will have a giant lodge . . . or maybe an itsy-bitsy cabin . . . built up there.

I'm pretty darned excited about this. We've been talking about the possibility of doing this for years, but it was hard to envision a time when we could do it. But, after a few years of saving, we did it as a cash deal and have a pretty good start on the funds to build a second home.

It really is a pretty area, in the Wisconsin's "Driftless Zone," an area of deep valleys and tall ridges untouched by the glaciers. Kind of a mini-Blue Ridge Mountains type of setting, but with more cheese and beer.

There are a lot of great motorcycle roads in the area. In fact, the road leading to our new estate has two gen-yoo-wine switchbacks. It's about four hours from our present home.

Assuming that this is a viable link, you can see an aerial view here.

Nice n Easy Rider

Mike,

Congratulations on your new estate. Now if you build the lodge big enough we can start planning the 2014 UN Rally for there. :D

:thumbsup:

That looks sweet! The trees are maple? Do you have the area that is cleared and somewhat developed on the SW side of the road, or the pristine area on the NE? How about a few pics?

If you have the SW developed area, how many of your 18 is that? 2-3 I am guessing.

Looks like great riding country.

:thumbsup:

That looks sweet! The trees are maple? Do you have the area that is cleared and somewhat developed on the SW side of the road, or the pristine area on the NE? How about a few pics?

If you have the SW developed area, how many of your 18 is that? 2-3 I am guessing.

Looks like great riding country.

There are maples, but also a little bit of everything--oak, poplar, etc. It's all located north of the road, at the very peak of the ridge. The triangular area that's cleared is about three acres, and most of the rest of it is heavily wooded. We'll have to do some removal of trees to site the cabin at a point where the river is visible. The first step will be walking the land to assess how we want to lay things out. We'll likely put a small pole barn/garage somewhere in the clearing and there's a possibility of keeping a long enough strip of grass to accommodate a gyrocopter.

. . . All dreams at this point, though. We're going to have to deal with the mundane aspects of a driveway, well, septic system, etc. Still, it's going to be fun.

So from Borah River Rd downhill towards, and almost to, Great River Road? Yeah, I would be excited too, and scared.

Ahhh, a little Bora Bora of your very own! Outstanding! :clap:

And the best part is you two get to make lots of fun decisions....cabin footprint...window placement...where to put the rocker and fire pit....so much to look forward to....

UnRally XV ? :grin:

:clap:

Congratulations, ain't nothin' like owning some land. Have fun planning and building.

I have done the same 20 years ago and now I live my retirement there.

. . . your new neighbors just got lucky.

Maybe the other way around. The folks from whom we bought the land are really great. They'll be good caretakers during the time we can't be there.

Mike, Knapp and I have ridden that area a lot (after he convinced me that it is worthy) and I was stunned by the beauty, the great moto-roads, the wonderful elevation changes (fantastic bluffs with great views) and amazing pie, cheese, jerky, sausage, people, etc. ;)

Let Steve and I know when to expect the key to our "guest wing!" (LOL!)

Congrats on your new piece of paradise!

Congratulations, that is a beautiful area. I remember exploring it on my Honda 250 while I attended college in Platteville.

Get a double wide and call it a day. :rofl:

Seriously, ET in the BMW from Hooterville to Wis??

That will be a blast too.

Congrats. You can always leave the BMW in my driveway and use my 92 toyota so you'll blend in up there. I'll even get it washed before you return but I'd need the keys. :thumbsup:

Hope you like snow.

As a matter of fact . . .

arctic-cat-crossfire-1000-sno-pro-snowmobile-2008.jpg

When we told our son about it, his first instinct was to start checking out ATVs and snowmobiles. For our benefit, of course. :grin:

Hope you like snow.

As a matter of fact . . .

arctic-cat-crossfire-1000-sno-pro-snowmobile-2008.jpg

When we told our son about it, his first instinct was to start checking out ATVs and snowmobiles. For our benefit, of course. :grin:

Well wasn't that magnanimous of him... :)

That is a great location by Prairie du Chien. Have ridden that area many times. Congratulations.

Thanks. It's almost impossible to find a bad motorcycling road around there. Here's a little route I just put together from Prairie du Chien to Gays Mills, the home of a large number of apple orchards (mmm . . . apple donuts!): map.

Most of the county "alphabet" roads are paved. Great riding country.

Archived