IGNORED

Clutch burning smell

DallasR1100RT

DallasR1100RT

I am getting a nasty burning smell if I have to feather the clutch at all or starting off on a hill...

How much work is it to change out the clutch on this beast?

1998 R1100RT with 58K.

Thanks

Depends on how adept you are at spinning wrenches :grin:

If all you are doing is replacing the clutch, then it could potentially be done in a day, or over a weekend. What starts adding time is when you combine in other repairs or start looking for more problems. Mine went at about 100k miles, but then I found that the transmission input splines were almost stripped and had to rebuild the transmission as well.

58k miles seems a little premature for a clutch wearing out. Do you do lots of stop and go riding, or just slip it a lot?

Here is my thread from back in '08 when I replaced mine if it helps LINK

I am getting a nasty burning smell if I have to feather the clutch .....

It may be worth a little exploratory work by removing the starter motor and using some sort of swab-on-a-rod, see if you have any oil in the bottom of the clutch housing. If so, it will for sure have to come apart, but it may give you a clue if you have either a leaking crankshaft seal of a leaking gearbox input shaft seal (by identifying which sort of oil you have).

It might be niether of these things. As Keith says, do you ride or drag the clutch much. These bikes HATE that and will eat up the material double fast time.

Have you changed your socks lately? :grin:

Let's put it on the lift and look. To change the clutch only, we could knock it off in a long day provided we have all the parts in hand and don't break anything else along the way.

DallasR1100RT

OK Mr Edgar!!! Did you get your ABS working???

I noticed the freeplay was a little tight..so I backed it out a little...let's see if that makes any difference.

I don't ride the clutch at all..but going up a 15 degree incline with a pack of 85 bicyclist...I do have to do a lot of in and out to keep from stalling. I also made the mistake of trying to start in 2nd gear after a panic stop...it sure was slipping then! It does not seem to be slipping once engaged...great acceleration still from 2000-5000 rpm's in 2nd...

It does not seem to be slipping once engaged...great acceleration still from 2000-5000 rpm's in 2nd...

Thats the first sign....the next is slipping when you downshift and get into the throttle hard. In my case, I was down to the rivets even though the clutch disk was within BMW tolerances of being OK. I also had engine oil leaking past the rear main seal, and transmission oil leaking past the input seal......so I don't know if mine was slipping more from wear or oil contamination. The disk looked clean, but I didn't investigate too much. I figured at 100k miles, it didn't owe me anything.

Hydro unit is bad, so I disconnected the light bulbs. Annoying flashing lights are gone!

The real test for a slipping clutch is to run the bike at 70 and accelerate smartly from there in 5th. If it doesn't slip then you're good to go.

I noticed the freeplay was a little tight..so I backed it out a little...let's see if that makes any difference.

I don't ride the clutch at all..but going up a 15 degree incline with a pack of 85 bicyclist...I do have to do a lot of in and out to keep from stalling. I also made the mistake of trying to start in 2nd gear after a panic stop...it sure was slipping then! It does not seem to be slipping once engaged...great acceleration still from 2000-5000 rpm's in 2nd...

Are you keeping your rpm's low while slipping? you should be in he 1500rpm range +/-

DallasR1100RT

I ran it pretty hard leaving Lago Vista last night through this hills in 4th with no issue...and played around going north on 35 with a lot of accelerations between 65 and 85 in 5th with no issues...but when I got home and had to feather the clutch to get it in the backyard...I could smell is again. I hope the adjustment helps...

Are you sure you are not smelling oil dripping on the catalytic convertor? That is what your decription makes me suspicious might be the case.......

Archived