IGNORED

Confession

swilson

Its been 36k miles (on this particular odometer anyway) since I last rode a bike with aftermarket shocks... that is until today. Boy its fun to be riding on them again!!

When I replaced my Ohlins equipped R1150RT with my ESA equipped R1200RT I figured I'd save some cash and the ESA would do fine. 36k miles later the preload on the ESA started getting flaky so I sprang for some Ohlins. I had forgotten just how much better they are than stock suspension.

If you're on the fence about buying some aftermarket shocks... take the plunge. During a ride through the twisties today I couldn't wipe the smile off my face. Good shocks will truly transform your bike.

My BMW with 5k miles isn't due a rear shock anytime soon, but I am wondering about your cost? Mine has the ESA, but to be honest I simply put it on "one rider with baggage" and leave it. I did the same thing with my prior RT. I suppose the ESA will not work with the Ohlins?

I have heard good things about the Ohlin rear shock. Which model did you get?

I recently bought a new Triumph Bonneville.....its standard rear shocks really let me know now wonderful even the OEM rear shock is on the Beemer! :clap:

Hi Deek,

You're right, no more ESA with Ohlins. I think Wilbers has shocks where you can keep the ESA, but I didn't want to keep it. The electronics are VERY expensive and are too prone to failure. I won't miss it.

You keep saying 'rear shock' but remember most of the current beemer line up has 'shocks'. One front, one rear, and they should be changed at the same time.

I'm not sure if Ohlins has more than one model that fits the RT... I was under the impression there was only one.

Hi Deek,

You're right, no more ESA with Ohlins. I think Wilbers has shocks where you can keep the ESA, but I didn't want to keep it. The electronics are VERY expensive and are too prone to failure. I won't miss it.

You keep saying 'rear shock' but remember most of the current beemer line up has 'shocks'. One front, one rear, and they should be changed at the same time.

I'm not sure if Ohlins has more than one model that fits the RT... I was under the impression there was only one.

Thanks. If I have to give up the ESA I think it's okay.

Archived