IGNORED

R 1200 C

drasulet

Good day, guys.

I'm trying to buy a motorcycle, so one of my friend recommanded R 1200 C. Is it good for a beginner?

i had one and would say it's good for beginner. was pretty much a beginner at that time.

enjoyed it but never took any long trips. many folks would come and ask questions when parked somewhere. a unique looker, easy to maintain.

I had one as my first bike after a 20 year break from 1980 to 2000. I have taken several multi-day long trips on R1200Cs and think they are a great solo touring machine. They do OK for two-up touring but nearly as good as an RT for two-up. Prices should be low enough on a lot of R12Cs now that you could pick one up on the cheap and then if you feel like you have "graduated" to the next level, keep it and get a sport-tourer or full blown touring bike. I supect that I will always own a C regardless of what other bikes land in the stable over the years.

go for it; you won't regret owning a C.

I'll be the odd man out: I don't think a 1200cc boxer is good for a beginner. I learned on an F800ST and, in hindsight, that wasn't the smartest thing I've ever done.

D- I think you could do a lot better for your first bike. Chances are you may lay it over during the learning process. A 600 cc from one of the metric makers would be a better bet. Lightweight, easy to find used and easy to sell when you are ready to move up.

I know that beauty is in the eye but the front end on that 1200C is a --well you know. I don't want to hurt any owners feelings.

Good luck with your selection and ride safe.

I'll be the odd man out: I don't think a 1200cc boxer is good for a beginner. . . . .

Why wouldn't it be? It is very civilised on power delivery, low to the ground, (29" seat height) handles like a dream on twisty roads and isn't terribly heavy (~600lbs). I personally know a few of the Chromeheads who started on the R12 with nary a problem.

Good day, guys.

I'm trying to buy a motorcycle, so one of my friend recommanded R 1200 C. Is it good for a beginner?

While I think the R1200C is a GREAT bike and may very well be a good "beginner" bike but if this is going to be your FIRST bike I would agree with others here in that it may be a bit too much bike as a first bike. First of all it is a heavy bike for a first bike and second it is 1200cc which is a lot for a first bike as well. The biggest concern for a first time rider is to ensure confidence and feeling comfortable on the bike. You want that rider to feel in full control at all times and that they can control the bike at all times. Also, the R1200c may cost more than say $7000 or $8000 which may be a lot of $$ especially if the new rider does not know if he our she is going to enjoy riding. Again just MY opinion but I would look for something 600cc's or less. There are some good choices out there ....

Honda VLX600

Honda Nighthawk 250

Honda Nighthawk 700 (older bike but a great one if you find a nice one)

Kawasaki Vulcan 500

There are many many others as well.

And a REALLY REALLY nice first bike is the new Honda 2011 CBR250! What a lot of bike for the money! $3999 and $4495 with ABS!

2011-honda-cbr250r-4_460x0w.jpg

If the OP friend wants the seating position, go for it.

I know a certain young lady under 5' tall who toured all over and put 24k plus on an R1200 C.

The bike is gorgeous.

Decent range (200 miles).

Predictable ride.

For a cruiser style it has ABS and cruise.

Prices around here are $4-8,000 and I still wish BMW had produce it w/the GS powerplant.

I'll be the odd man out: I don't think a 1200cc boxer is good for a beginner. . . . .

Why wouldn't it be? It is very civilised on power delivery, low to the ground, (29" seat height) handles like a dream on twisty roads and isn't terribly heavy (~600lbs). I personally know a few of the Chromeheads who started on the R12 with nary a problem.

There are people who started on a Hayabusa too. That still doesn't make it a good idea. And let me point out that it's true that every motorcycle discussion board has people who found learning easy, who learned on a big, powerful bike, etc. That's because the people who tried that and got frustrated or failed don't tend to hang out on motorcycling fora. (I learned at age 52 but both my best friend and secretary tried right after me. Both dumped their bikes a few times early on and gave it up).

A lighter and lower powered bike makes the initial learning process safer and faster. And, as already mentioned, the chances of dropping or dumping one's first bike are very high. Repairs on a R1200C are going to be much higher than on a less expensive bike. Can it be done? Sure. But I still think it's not the wisest thing to do.

It's not just power and size - it's cost. Ever look at 1200C replacement parts? You could buy a used Japanese standard "first bike" for less than what it would cost you to repair a low speed tip on a 1200C. That bike is too special and beautiful to be subjected to "fist bike" status if you ask me.

-MKL

There are people who started on a Hayabusa too. That still doesn't make it a good idea. And let me point out that it's true that every motorcycle discussion board has people who found learning easy, who learned on a big, powerful bike, etc. That's because the people who tried that and got frustrated or failed don't tend to hang out on motorcycling fora. (I learned at age 52 but both my best friend and secretary tried right after me. Both dumped their bikes a few times early on and gave it up).

A lighter and lower powered bike makes the initial learning process safer and faster. And, as already mentioned, the chances of dropping or dumping one's first bike are very high. Repairs on a R1200C are going to be much higher than on a less expensive bike. Can it be done? Sure. But I still think it's not the wisest thing to do.

Exactly! Some of the same points I was suggesting. Cost needs to be considered and not only cost of the bike ... cost of repairs, accessories and upkeep. You do not want to scare off a new rider.

Missouri Bob
And, as already mentioned, the chances of dropping or dumping one's first bike are very high.

Which is why I would advise against any bike with tupperware. A street-legal single-cylinder dirt bike in the 250cc - 400cc range should be fun but not intimidating or expensive.

YMMV

Bob

If the buyer were to go through the MSF course first (warts and all) they would be in a much better position to answer the pertinent questions.

This from someone who bought his first bike new with no training. I wish I had gone through some sort of training beforehand, but I was young, stupid and cocky. I lived through it, but there were some times when it was touch and go.

Agree with a smaller, agile bike that you can thrash and learn on because as your skills and knowledge improve, and you get a better feel for what you like and don't like, you will probably promptly sell your first bike (and perhaps first several) and move on. I bought and sold plenty of bikes as I worked my way up the food chain when I was first learning and gaining experience back in my teens and early 20s. Maybe consider your first bike as an almost disposable bike that gets you over the earliest and steepest part of the learning curve. Something that is easy to resell is a plus if you adopt that view.

I am surprised of all the recommendation to the OP question of what bike would be good as a first for a beginner.

We do not know much about the person wanting to get a R1200 C.

Are you a male or female?

short medium or tall?

Skinny fella, or big enough to pick up a fallen 600 pound bike?

If a BMW falls, you got same spare $$$ stashed away for the fairly expensive parts?

What is the intended use of the bike, urban cruiser, touring?

Will you be reading the replies posted here?

In your sig you have a cess 172, SO if you mastered shortfield landing and takeoffs you should have no problem with a controlls of a motorcycle.

Give us a bit more info.

If I would want to learn on a BMW, I would get the smaller ones -- 650 or 800cc first, than trade up if needing more cc.

Archived