IGNORED

Oilhead Throttle Cable Adjustment question

Indy Bill

It has been a while since I last posted, so......howdy..... I am Bill. I have some mechanical apptitude, though am not an expert wrencher. Due to financial constraints (stupid economy) I need to perform the needed tune-up on my RT myself. How hard can it be? :dopeslap:

I have a Clymer manual which covers the throttle cable free play adjustment, but the instructions make no sense to me. Specifically:

Page 94, section 8B, sub section d

"At both throttle bodies, use needlenose pliers and gently pull up on the throttle cable sheath at the throttle wheel. There must be at least 2mm of free play"

Are they talking about being able to pull the sheath only up out of the knurled knob 2mm (.08 inch) WITHOUT moving the throttle cable? :S

Thanks in advance.

Peter Parts

If the engine doesn't vibrate and your rear-view is good, you don't need to tune it. Waste of time and can make things worse. I haven't seen a BMW valve lose much lash in many decades.

Change the fluids, under-filling the oil until it settles in a few days. Guides sometime forget to mention filling the oil filter before re-attaching. Air filter too.

If your engine vibrates, you do need a tune up even if you think you did a great job a week ago.

Ben

......Guides sometime forget to mention filling the oil filter before re-attaching. Air filter too.

Ben

Surely the Air Filter comes pre filled?

;-)

......Guides sometime forget to mention filling the oil filter before re-attaching. Air filter too.

Ben

Surely the Air Filter comes pre filled?

;-)

It's German air.

You need to flush, fill with indigenous atmosphere and adjust for elevation.

;)

Peter Parts

Sorry for lapse in clear writing.

One of my favorite hobby-horses is gooey foam air filters. See R1100S airflow charts at URL below. So, yes, cleaning and "oiling" is good maintenance.

On the other hand, I estimated that my giant-sock air filter needs renewal only like 13,000 mile intervals for paved roads. Another benefit to going that route.

Ben

Archived