IGNORED

ESA Sport setting on 12RT

b34cez

Hi,

For a 2008 R1200RT, I think I find the rebound on ESA Sport setting disturbing: in the twisties, that very moment exiting the turn, as I straighten the bike preparing for the next turn, the suspension seems just too hard and more difficult to enter the next turn than when it is on the Normal setting.

Do you feel the same?

Is there a way to mitigate this?

I had lots of fun in the twisties on Normal setting, I am only asking this because I guess my suspension passed its middle life and now the Normal setting started to feel a little soft.

All the best,

Cezar

Cezar, I have very simular ESA on my R1200ST. I like to go at a far rate of speed at times on curvey roads and never use the 'sport' setting on my ESA. Much works well on my ESA suspension but, for my tastes the 'sport' setting is too stiff also. I like some suspension compliance to absorb bumbs when leaned over. I'd guess the 'sport' setting is for sustained over 100 mph running. I use 'comfort' when on rough roads or just going easy long distance and use the 'normal' setting for the backroads. The 'normal' setting is more plush than any of my previous bike's for comfort and still handles sporting environments.

JOHNNYWISHBONE

cezar, good morning. i don't really care about your ESA settings. correct me if i'm wrong. in romania, you party A LOT. i'm bored. if i come to visit, can you point me in the direction. i am a rocker and prefer the company of other rockers. was thinking of a winter visit, because air fares and other stuff would be cheaperin the crummy weather. the ability to speak english is not required, since i am pretty near deaf. take care, jp DSC00248-1.jpg

Thank you, George, I understand you feel the same. I use normal setting most of the time, I just need to know whether there is a way to make the sport setting usable, now that my suspension starts to soften.

Yes, Johnny we party a lot in Romania. Come visit in the summer, our versions of the Tail of the Dragon is about 80 km. long (road DN1A section from Valenii de Munte to Brasov) don’t ask me how many curves are on that section, nobody bothered to count them so far, but it is just curves. Another nice road to ride is Brasov to Sighisoara – fast, wide turns, or Brasov to Poiana Brasov – really long turns, but the road is short. If you like the view and not care too much about the road condition (which is poor) – than it is Transfagarasan (road DN7C), however it does not compare to the Dolomites, or the Alps (no matter whether Austrian, Swiss or French section) where you can keep going for days from one mountain pass to another.

Cesar,

What luggage configuration do you normaly run?

Here's why I ask...

I have 18k mi. on my 07 RT, and haven't noticed any degradation of the suspension so far. I almost always ride with both side bags and the large (49L) top case on, and sport has always been perfect for me in curvy conditions no matter if it's tight or sweeping curves.

A couple weeks ago I went for a ride up into the foothills here and decided to take off the top case, something I haven't really done before. Without the top case the ride was harsh and I felt uncomfortable in bumpy curves. Adjusted to "normal" and things smoothed out a bit, but it still didn't feel "planted till I used the comfort setting. Maybe it all depends on what you're used to...

Strange thing is, if I use only the top case withouth the side bags, the sport setting feels very good still.

Just my personal experience. I didn't imagine it. It certainly wasn't what I was expecting though.

When riding two up, I use both the top case (49L) and side cases and the preload is on 2 helmets. When riding solo I use top case only, with the preload set to rider + luggage, if I use preload on rider with no luggage I scrap the pegs.

Don, I agree with you that, when riding solo, using the top case instead of the side cases the bike feels more planted on the road, probably because the load is distributed more to the back than it would be if using the side cases.

I make very little use of the comfort setting, it must be a really bumpy road (still asphalt) to turn to comfort.

I guess the sport setting is for highway only, which I tend to avoid as much as possible.

cezar, good morning. i don't really care about your ESA settings. correct me if i'm wrong. in romania, you party A LOT. i'm bored. if i come to visit, can you point me in the direction. i am a rocker and prefer the company of other rockers. was thinking of a winter visit, because air fares and other stuff would be cheaperin the crummy weather. the ability to speak english is not required, since i am pretty near deaf. take care, jp DSC00248-1.jpg
Thanks for making my day!

Archived