IGNORED

How to tell if ESA Working

Dave39

My 2009 1200RT that I bought last June has ESA, but I have been unable to distinguish between the various settings, normal, sport, or comfort. I'm far from a sports rider; at my age I'm very conservative, but all three settings feel the same to me. Someone suggested that I could test the ESA by sitting on the bike with the engine running and switching to the different settings. If it is working I should feel the suspension adjusting each time. I tried that and there was no noticeable change as I switched among the three settings. I even bounced up and down each time to see if the "bounce" felt different....no difference that I could tell. Am I doing it right or is there a better way of testing it. The way I ride I'm not sure that ESA is all that important, but it was an expensive add-on and it's still under warranty so I want to confirm it's working if possible.

normal, sport, and comfort pertains only to the shock's rebound damping - so I wouldn't expect to feel the difference at a standstill. I can definitely feel the difference changing between modes when going down the freeway at 70mph.

The preload (1,2 helmets, luggage)adjust is only for the rear. You should feel the ride height change as you cycle through the settings (with bike stationary, engine running, trans in neutral)

The dealers have a specific procedure for testing and it involves sitting on the bike and "bouncing". The demonstrated it to me and I could tell the difference in dampening quite easily.

normal, sport, and comfort pertains only to the shock's rebound damping - so I wouldn't expect to feel the difference at a standstill. I can definitely feel the difference changing between modes when going down the freeway at 70mph.

The preload (1,2 helmets, luggage)adjust is only for the rear. You should feel the ride height change as you cycle through the settings (with bike stationary, engine running, trans in neutral)

+1

When changing the preload - while the new setting is flashing on the dash, you can feel the bike raise in back if going from a lower setting to a higher setting. Opposite is true if doing the opposite. Once the indicator stops flashing, the bike is set to the new height.

For the dampening - Tyipcally you can notice the stiffness of the suspension rebound over bumps and such as being a little more 'floaty' on the comfort setting, progressively being reduced for normal and sport modes.

I have a 06 and I think you have the updated version of ESA - ESA II

malcolmblalock

On mine, I can feel the difference in damping by holding the front brake and pulling up and down hard on the handlebars, getting the bike in a rocking motion. "Comfort" will allow a lot of movement up and down. "Normal" will have less movement. "Sport" allows just a little bounce.

It's pretty noticeable on mine, and I can now tell the difference when riding, but initially it took doing the rocking motion to see and feel the difference. Just try to bounce the bike up and down using the handlebars. If no difference, take it to the dealer when you have the opportunity.

Archived