IGNORED

Low Battery = ABS System Damage?

Dick Bennett

Dick Bennett

I was recently told that operating my bike with a weak battery could do real damage to the ABS system, with a hefty repair bill - can anyone here verify that? The bike is an '03 RT 1150 with fully linked ABS brakes - the battery is four years old and will soon be replaced, but the only problem currently is starting after sitting all day at work in the cold with no battery tender available, it cranks a bit slowly and the clock display resets to 0:00. Once started it runs fine with no brake warning lights. I keep it on a tender when it's parked at home, and it starts with no problems. Apologies if this is a repeat, I searched but did not see this topic. Thanks in advance!

Did the person say why/how this could cause damage?

Possibly damaging the circuitry from a power spike during a jump start? I don't know, but even with a low battery once the engine is running the alternator will be putting 13+ volts into the system (which is more than the ABS unit requires)

That being said I would want a new battery just for the dependability of it.

Never heard of that Dick. A low battery may cause the ABS lights to flash alternatly indicating a problem, but there is no damage done.

Danny caddyshack Noonan

I don't buy it, but don't know that system.

In general, too low of voltage, computer will not intialize. Operation is via a relay, if anything like ABSII, so if the relay doesn't close, no operation.

I agree with Peter in as much as a low battery can throw up faults, but these are only short lived until the battery is sorted.

Unlike the ABS2 system, ypur iABS is not relay controlled.

iABS has enough problems without the battery adding to them.

Archived