IGNORED

Speedo-a-no-go. New cable says in the wheel...

Bonkorama

Hi all, been ages. Adult life.... yeah. Hope everyone is good.

Anyhoo, speedo took a poop, bought new cable, removed old one, installed bottom end ( on wheel ) and lo and behold... when the wheel turns the cable remains spin-less.

Before i take the wheel apart looking for i dont know what, any hints, tips or this-is-what-it-is's ?

-paul

Danny caddyshack Noonan

The old cable spin end to end? I'd check that the old cable was the problem first.

If ok, loosely hold the speedo cable off the bike. Business end in the drive. Slowly rotate the wheel to get the end of the cable to drop into the drive. This can be reversed also, make sure the cable is locked into the drive by trying to rotate the gauge end.

If the new cable is already in the drive, then it's the drive or the gauge.

You can also try a visual on the drive to verify rotation of the end.

You can verify if the gauge is the problem by removing from the wheel drive and connecting to the gauge and hand driving the cable to get the gauge to show velocity.

Caveat: I haven't done this on a BMW, only an english car.....more than once.

on the wheel unit there are two plastic gears, check both of those and verify that they arent broken. On the big gear there are two dog ears that mate with a metal ring on the wheel that drives it, make sure everything looks normal. If those are good, its going to be an issue with the actual speedometer itself. Dont believe there is any servicable parts inside it, so the whole thing would need to be replaced.

Place bike on Centrestand.

Fit panniers (so front wheel off the ground).

Remove speedo cable from drive unit on front axle (single countersunk screw).

Watch the output drive spindle of the wheel gearbox as you rotate the front wheel.

Does it rotate?

If NO, then the gear drive dogs or gear wheelpinion have probably broken.

If YES: gently hold the out flat part of the output drive with a pair of snipe nose pliers and SLOWLY rotate the front wheel. Does the spindle still rotate?

If NO, then the gear drive dogs or gear wheelpinion have probably broken.

If Yes, your speedhead (instrument cluster) is dead.

....or your inner cable isn't long enough!

Andy

Thanks for the replies gang.

The new cable spun freely in my hand before I attached the bottom end to the wheel, now when i spin the wheel, nothing...

So off with the wheel....

Are the parts users replaceable without too much mayhem?

I don't mind taking the the wheel apart carefully, but is there anything i should be warned about beforehand?

I'll try to find an exploded view of all this before I start. Any links?

Thanks again guys.

I'll try to find an exploded view of all this before I start. Any links?

Thanks again guys.

Any good? The left hand picture is from the parts catalogue. The right hand picture refers to the text below it.

Andy

5479.jpg.a1c8434c6df261e4d3e6a696b86c78be.jpg

I have one question. Do you guys put grease in part #14? First time I got the front wheel off the bike, there wasn't any, and on the GS there was, so I also put grease on mine. Shouldn't I?

Dan.

I just had mine apart. It looks to me like the pic has parts six and seven swapped. The shiny metal speedo driver will be under the rubber seal, not on top of it. It just sits in place and should wiggle slightly under the seal. You can remove the seal by gently prying it out if you need to. I used a little heat also. A LITTLE heat!

I always re-pack with ...grease.

Andy

Me too (but not really cram packed, just coating all the whetted parts.

Andy

Here's what can go wrong with the speedo drive:

1. the metal drive dog has four ears. Two engage the plastic drive gear in the speed drive housing, and two engage slots in the wheel hub. The first time I had trouble with my RS, the two ears that engaged the wheel hub had been completely eaten off. Cost me 82 cents to get the new metal drive dog.

2.The plastic drive gear has two plastic ears that the metal ears push against. They can get worn and the metal ears will flare out and no longer make good contact. Bend the metal ears for better contact. I also built up the plastic with JB weld.

3. The plastic teeth on the gear gets mangled by the metal worm gear that drives the speedo cable. You have to buy a new speedo drive, cause the don't sell the individual parts.

I always re-pack with ...grease.

Andy

Me too (but not really cram packed, just coating all the whetted parts.

Andy

A bit of White Lithium on the running elememts...White Lithium is relatively smooth flowing in all temps. Won't turn liquid when "hot", won't turn to lard when "cold".

Ordered a new speedodrive last week from A&S. Shipped Friday. So should be coming this week. I'll keep you guys posted. Thanks for the help.

Archived