IGNORED

Trying to make my 05 R1200RT stereo speakers louder..HELP!

DARKSTAR

I'm mostly a commuter so I listen to my radio through the speakers because I need to hear the traffic noise. Ear plugs are definately out. I've found a way to listen to my Ipod through the radio but it's not very loud. I need more volume! Can I change the speakers? Is there a way to get more sound out of the stock radio? I know music doesn't matter to a lot of riders but it does to me. Any help you can provide would be much appreciated.

Hey Darkstar....

How are you listening to your iPod thru the 05's stereo.

My 05 has no input capability at all. That didn't show up till a later year.

Bernd

@ the question for volume, check out boostaroo http://www.boostaroo.com/ you can get a small battery powered amp in there that is absolutely great, just enough umph to let you hear without over powering your speakers.

As for the ipod connection, there is a thread on here (http://www.bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=14021&Number=134041#Post134041) about DIY connection on the 05-06 RT for ipod and MP3 connections. I followed along and in about two hours I was done and listening to my ipod.

Thanks for all the advice guys! I've had the speakers cut out on me before when I turned the radio up too loud. Wouldn't an amp or booster of any kind make that happen again? I'm up for an amp but I think I'll need to put some after market speakers in there to handle the sound. I'm no wrencher so I'll have to find a shop that can make those kinds of modifications.

Not really a wrneching moment to do the speakers. Drop the mirrors and wid screen and you can get the dash off with 8 torx screws, and then 8 more (4 each per speaker) and you're done.

Thanks for the info! I didn't know the speakers were 4 inch speakers. That answered another of my questions. Thanks again!

Don't forget, you have two volume levels to consider when using the Itrip - the Ipod's volume and the volume on the RT's radio. Make sure you turn the Ipod volume up to 3/4 or so if you haven't already done so. I used to have on of those Itrip things but I found that while traveling I kept picking up Fm stations as I moved from area to area.

Archived