IGNORED

Is it just me

Bullett

or are these folks out of line?

I can understand some whining if you didn't do the deed, but these folks were caught red-handed. What do they want? Maybe they should all go to jail instead of being assessed fines?

dunno.gif

Linky

Judge Roy Bean would be so proud.

Remind me to tell you about the time I bailed out a friend for DUI.

I was the only one that lost.

from the article:

"Every courtroom should have a recording system and it should be going all the time,"

How hard is that?!!!

What got me going was this

""I felt like a criminal, and I didn't even do anything wrong," Beazer said tearfully.

Since she refused to sign the plea in abeyance agreement, a court date was set. KSL attended her court hearing in Murray Municipal Court on Jan. 3. Beazer pleaded guilty to not having her driver's license with her at the time of the traffic stop. Judge Paul Thompson dismissed the charge of driving without proof of insurance. In the end, Beazer was fined $40 as opposed to the $200 she would have been fined had she accepted the plea in abeyance."

I suppose she meant that she felt pressured to sign the plea in abeyance or no contest, but she ended up pleading guilty. She didn't have her driver's license and she didn't have her proof of insurance. She did break the law whether she "believes" it was wrong or not. What did she expect?

Edit: Oh. Kathy, this is Utah. We don't believe we should fund stuff like Justice Court recording equipment or court reporters. Since they are not a court "of record" they don't have to have a record. I believe any appeal would be a trial de novo in district court, which is a court of record, but I really have no idea. You'd think they could at least have a table top cassette tape recorder, huh?

DavidEBSmith
from the article:

"Every courtroom should have a recording system and it should be going all the time,"

How hard is that?!!!

For the court reporters at the hearings my people do, I think we get charged somewhere between $90-$120 an hour, with a 1 1/2 hour minimum. If the reporter actually has to transcribe a hearing, it's a per-page charge.

For the hearings that are automatically recorded, it's the $90-$120 per hour to have someone transcribe the recordings. They are of much worse quality than the ones where a person is there doing the court reporting - there's a lot of inaudible parts, the hearing officers forget to restart the machine when they go off the record, etc.

To have an automatic system that actually can be relied on to make a usable recording of everything that goes on, it's actually stupidly expensive, so much so that it's cheaper to hire the human court reporters at their hourly rate.

If you remember the E2 nightclub disaster in Chicago in 2003, in which 21 people were killed in a stampede - we had to fight tooth-and-nail to get funding for the court reporters who recorded the judge's order that the nightclub owners were convicted of violating. When we point to that case as an example of why we need to keep paying for court reporters, we're usually told "But can't you just have the court reporter for the cases where something important will happen?" :eek:

Archived