IGNORED

Can't Start my RT

Deltamark

Hi all,

I'm having a problem starting my neglected 1999 R1100RT. I have no garage, so it has been sitting outside in the cold Northwest Ohio winter since November. I do keep a good bike cover on it, though. The engine turns over, but will not start. I figured my battery was dead because I didn't have a charger on it, so I installed a new battery yesterday. Didn't help. I did not put in any fuel stabilizer this season because I typically ride throughout the winter, but there has been too much snow and ice this winter for me to even consider taking it out. Is this possibly related to the fuel? If so, what can I do?

I was tentatively planning to take a trip to Florida this weekend, but again, the weather looks like it would have held me back anyway. Oh well! I'd appreciate any suggestions. Thanks!

To start with the obvious, ensure sidestand is up, neutral light is lit, clutch is pulled and kill switch set to run.

Check that on first switch-on the fuel pump runs for about three seconds.

Check you have spark.

If all are good, then stale fuel is the most likely culprit - ethanol-added fuel degrades faster than the all-dino stuff.

Andy

wasn't sure exactly when RT's went to FI.. (I'm new to the BMW "world".. sorry, didn't want to offend anyone! ;-)

but drain the fuel wherever you can. Fuels volatile components evaporate leading to less combustibility.. thus hard/not starting and/or running poor.

Disclaimer.

I sell this at a mc shop where I part-time.

But, this stuff works.

We keep jars of fuel on the counter w/various other fuel addtives and this product.

In all of the others some separation occurs and the ethanol/fuel/water layers.

Not w/this stuff.

If you can get some and throw it in the tank, shake it up well, give it a try.

May work.

I've used it in bike that sat for months and had zero problems.

Good luck.

You may have water in the fuel. If it has found its way into the fuel filter, you may need to change that part before you get it going.

First confirm that you have spark. Then siphon some fuel from the lowest point in the tank you can get a 1/4" ID tubing into.......Then check the sample. Fuel and water show a very distinct separation. Good luck.

Afternoon Deltamark

That 99 RT won’t start or run with the side stand down so start there.

If that is OK and you can hear the fuel pump run for about 3 seconds at first key on then you will need to check for spark, and fuel delivery. Anything from a HES starting to act up from moisture, to poor quality fuel, to something like a blown fuse or sensor problem can keep it from starting.

A quick spark test is probably the place to start looking (see if you have spark), if the spark is OK then a little spray of starting fluid into the intakes will show you if it is capable of starting. If it will fire off on starting fluid then you more than likely have a fuel delivery issue (water, corroded injectors, gummed up injector pintles or screens)

If you can’t hear the fuel pump run at key-on then look at electrical to the pump or water frozen in the tank at the pump area.

Thanks all! Kick stand is up. Neutral light was on. I'll double check the start switch and try checking for spark tonight and if that doesn't work, work on the fuel tomorrow. Did have the hall sensor replaced last fall.

I'd go to any AutoZone, etc. and buy some starter spray and some stabil. Starter spray is mostly ether in a can I believe. After adding the stabil and rocking the bike for a while, spray some of the ether on the air filter and crank the bike. Should get the engine to fire and once going, it can handle moderately bad gas. Really evil gas, you'll have to drain.

I use the stuff on all my small gas engines with good results. Eliminates a lot of tugging on the pull rope for weedeaters that have been idle for six months or more.

----

Fuel is the most likely, but try unplugging and re-seating the Motronic block in the fuse box. I don't have the diagram in front of me right now, but I think it's the last, or next to to last block in the forward row, on the right hand side (facing forward).

Sorry, not clear here ... do you mean spray the starting fluid into the spark plug recess? I do seem to be getting spark.

Also, can anyone tell me what would be the best way to drain or siphon the gas if i need to go that route?

Thanks!

a little spray of starting fluid into the intakes will show you if it is capable of starting. If it will fire off on starting fluid then you more than likely have a fuel delivery issue (water, corroded injectors, gummed up injector pintles or screens)

It's no good spraying the starting fluid into plug holes, it'll evaporate before you get the plug back in! it needs to go into the air intakes.

Also, can anyone tell me what would be the best way to drain or siphon the gas if i need to go that route?

Thanks!

disconnect the quick disconnect coming from the tank and let gravity do its thing.

Got it! I believe it was the gas. I drained about a gallon (the tank was full), then opened the throttle all the way while trying to start. Eventually it kicked in! Thanks to everyone for your contributions. Stuff like this is frustrating, but at least I learned a little more today.

Good job. I know that's a relief. Quick question for the exsperts. Where would you spray starter fluid? My first thought would be to pop the lid off the air filter and spray it down the center. Would that work?

Would that work?

-------

Yes that should work ok, although the engine side of the filter would be better if you can get to it.

You won't be filtering out the fumes, so they should get sucked into the carbs and it should work just fine.

----

Archived