IGNORED

A long shot... treatment for kidney cancer

Jacqueline

I'm looking for a long shot... a miracle really. Does anyone know of anyone who has had, any kind of treatment (even an alternative treatment) for kidney cancer? My brother Tom, who has always been there for me, was diagnosed at the end of January with kidney cancer... and given 3 months to live. Since then, each week he has gone the doctors and been told to come back the following week with the possibly of getting on a drug that might shrink the tumor (now the size of a football and they can't cut it out).... but nothing yet... just a regiment of methadone for pain management. He can feel the pressure of time slipping by to fast :cry::cry::cry: (as can I). I'm not ready to lose him.....

Any treatment advise?

ericfoerster

Jacqueline,

My Dad got treated for a different form of cancer here. The treatment here is cutting edge and very uniform. If something can be done they do it here:

http://www.mdanderson.org/

They don't waste time and they work in impressive teams. Folks from all around the world come here...for a reason.

Good luck, and my prayers are with you and your family.

Nice n Easy Rider

Jacqueline, very sorry to hear about your brother. I assume that he might be aware of this site that lists ongoing clinical trials for kidney cancer but just in case he hasn't seen the list

http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/results?term=kidney+cancer

For each study there are numbers to contact for the trials that are still recruiting. The suggestion regarding MD Anderson in Houston is excellent. They are probably as aggressive and front-line as any cancer center in the world. There are some drug regimens that are already approved such as Avastin and Alfa-Interferon but I would presume his doctors are well aware of such. Prayers are with him, you and your families.

:(

Beth and I send as much positive energy your way as we can.

Sorry to hear about this.

We're there for you.

Jacqueline,

My Dad got treated for a different form of cancer here. The treatment here is cutting edge and very uniform. If something can be done they do it here:

http://www.mdanderson.org/

They don't waste time and they work in impressive teams. Folks from all around the world come here...for a reason.

Good luck, and my prayers are with you and your family.

+1. We had a good friend that went to MDAnderson for a bone marrow transplant. Unforntunately, she did not survive the treatment, but it was her last, best hope. Good Luck to your brother, and don't forget to take care of yourself.

roadscholar

Jacqueline, this is too sad, I am very sorry to hear this. For those that haven't had the pleasure, Jacqueline's brother Tom is one of the nicest people you could ever meet.

I have a long time buddy Jacqueline that works at Mayo Clinic here in Jax. He's not in that dept. but he knows almost everyone and is very caring. If you'd like I could put you intouch with him, just PM or send me an email if you want.

I'm looking for a long shot... a miracle really. Does anyone know of anyone who has had, any kind of treatment (even an alternative treatment) for kidney cancer?...

The MD Anderson recommendation is a good one. If that is not possible, then any major medical center referral center, such as a state university medical school should also be able to offer good counsel and help explore the options. Though the word is very loosely defined, I would probably steer clear of "alternative" treatments, tempting though they may be. Anecdotes of success can be found with any or all of them, but the evidence is strongly against them and my own experience (through my patients) has been uniformly disappointing. They can also be very expensive, which is only fine if they offer real hope.

Sadly, in some cases, the best treatment for some cancer situations is no treatment, other than palliative care. Just because aggressive treatment is possible does not mean it is advisable. Sometimes the miserable side effects and resulting reduction in quality of remaining life are not worth the minuscule chance of success. Assuming your brother's mind is still clear, I would help him to understand his options, but let him make the final decision.

I can certainly sense the desperation in the tone of your narrative Jacqueline. How very hard this must be for all of you.

Prayers and Grace to you,

Jay

I'm looking for a long shot... a miracle really. Does anyone know of anyone who has had, any kind of treatment (even an alternative treatment) for kidney cancer?...

The MD Anderson recommendation is a good one. If that is not possible, then any major medical center referral center, such as a state university medical school should also be able to offer good counsel and help explore the options. Though the word is very loosely defined, I would probably steer clear of "alternative" treatments, tempting though they may be. Anecdotes of success can be found with any or all of them, but the evidence is strongly against them and my own experience (through my patients) has been uniformly disappointing. They can also be very expensive, which is only fine if they offer real hope.

Sadly, in some cases, the best treatment for some cancer situations is no treatment, other than palliative care. Just because aggressive treatment is possible does not mean it is advisable. Sometimes the miserable side effects and resulting reduction in quality of remaining life are not worth the minuscule chance of success. Assuming your brother's mind is still clear, I would help him to understand his options, but let him make the final decision.

I can certainly sense the desperation in the tone of your narrative Jacqueline. How very hard this must be for all of you.

Jay

I was struggling with how to say something like that. You did it so much better than I could have. Thank you.

Jay

Thank you so much for all your inputs, and thoughts. Tom and I both do realize that no treatment is sometimes the best treatment... and he was good with that. But as time is quickly running out, I sense some desperation in him... and I am definitely feeling desperate. I feel like I'm on a roller coaster and definitely feeling the lows this week... and not sleeping. I am sure what is adding to my feeling of desperation is the fact that just 4 weeks ago one of my sisters suddenly passed away.

Your words do help.

Thank you, Jacqueline

Wishing you all a reversal of fortune for the best! That said, as difficult as it is, do your best to revel in the time you have together.

pRAYERS to you both NOW...and continuing!

Hang in there, J --

...He's got the whole world, in His hands...

There is now a ray of hope... The doctor finally put Tom on Sutent. I realize it might not work, but it is a ray of hope.

Archived