IGNORED

Garmin GPS end destinations always on opposite side then stated

KDeline

When I get to the end of a route to wherever that is already in the GPS,(Gas, food, shops, etc) its always on the other side of the road than the GPS says it is. It gets me there but if it says on the right it is always on the left and visa versa. Anybody else notice this? I can't be the only one. I have the latest version NT 2011.3 and this happend in the last version 2010.1 I had also.

When you installed the new final drive on your GSA last summer after the MOA, they may have installed it on the wrong side of the bike and the GPS is confused :rofl:

Which model GPS you using? My car, Nuvi 265 does that.. I think my motosickle Zumo 660 doesn't... I looked at that at Zumoforums and couldn't find anything.

Maybe you have selected a voice that corresponds to driving on the other side of the road.

I don't know if your being tongue-in-cheek but in my car GPS (just use it for point-to-point) I do have selected the British female voice! (and my car GPS is often wrong, i.e. as OP stated, wrong side of road)

Afternoon KDeline

First off the current version of Mapsource is 2011.4 (14.40) not 2011.3. There were a couple of bugs in the early release 2011.3. Not sure it effected what you are seeing or not.

Make darn sure you have the same Map version on your computer’s Mapsource as is in your GPS. If these don’t match all kinds of strange things can happen.

Over the years I have also had the side of the road that a destination is on be wrong. Usually it is due to me not getting the location exact when I make the original route. If I put the destination “address” in Mapsource and not just click on a place on the map it is usually correct as long as the street numbers that are in Mapsource are correct for side of the road.

If you are putting the ACTUAL ADDRESS into Mapsource for the destination I really don’t have an answer for you other than the mapping has the numbers incorrect in it’s data source.

If you are using routes made on an older map version or on an older version of Mapsource itself be sure to ALWAYS do a re-calculation in the new Mapsource and using current mapping matching your GPS before using an older route. This is very important as things change from version to version so some data points change, are lost or are mis interpreted.

When you get to the destination and it is wrong (such as wrong side of road) be sure to use your GPS to mark the correct location when you get to it so when you get home you can figure out what doesn’t match in map or situation.

Afternoon KDeline

First off the current version of Mapsource is 2011.4 (14.40) not 2011.3. There were a couple of bugs in the early release 2011.3. Not sure it effected what you are seeing or not.

Make darn sure you have the same Map version on your computer’s Mapsource as is in your GPS. If these don’t match all kinds of strange things can happen.

Over the years I have also had the side of the road that a destination is on be wrong. Usually it is due to me not getting the location exact when I make the original route. If I put the destination “address” in Mapsource and not just click on a place on the map it is usually correct as long as the street numbers that are in Mapsource are correct for side of the road.

If you are putting the ACTUAL ADDRESS into Mapsource for the destination I really don’t have an answer for you other than the mapping has the numbers incorrect in it’s data source.

If you are using routes made on an older map version or on an older version of Mapsource itself be sure to ALWAYS do a re-calculation in the new Mapsource and using current mapping matching your GPS before using an older route. This is very important as things change from version to version so some data points change, are lost or are mis interpreted.

When you get to the destination and it is wrong (such as wrong side of road) be sure to use your GPS to mark the correct location when you get to it so when you get home you can figure out what doesn’t match in map or situation.

One little correction (Sorry if this seems to be nitpicking) but to be "correct", newest version of "MAPSET" is 2011.4.(as you say) (Not Mapsource which is now at 6.16.3. [which personally I have hated every version since after 6.13.7! "The Holy Grail"..]

My question.. when did you get 2011.4??? I literally just last week upgraded my Zumo 660 as I was entitled to the newest mapset and I got 2011.3! Hmmmmm.

I understand OP's problem, in my car using a Nuvi 265 and adding addresses directly it will almost always be on the "wrong" side of the road.

I don't think he was talking about creating custom routes in Mapsource, at all...

Afternoon Phil

2011.4 has been out since 2/16/2011. So far it seems to functioning bit better working with gravel and dirt roads.

You are correct I misspoke by calling it Mapsource. Meant to write Mapset.

DR.. I think I'll probably end up with 2011.4. :-) I had to send my 660 back to Garmin for Bluetooth issues and either it "should" have the newest Mapset.. or I think I will be able to download whatever is newest. They said I would have to go to "MyGarmin" and register the new serial number, download any updates, etc.. when I get my replacement.

I understand OP's problem, in my car using a Nuvi 265 and adding addresses directly it will almost always be on the "wrong" side of the road.

I don't think he was talking about creating custom routes in Mapsource, at all...

You are correct. If I type in an address or I find the local gas station that is preprogramed it tends to be on the opposite side. W2ge and dirtrider thanks. You other clowns....and you know who you are....... :rofl:.....NOT!

I have an older refurb nuvi 205 that is always on the wrong side but since it always gets me there, it doesn't bother me.

It doesn't really bother me just curious if anybody else had it.

Yeah, I had it too and it bothered the heck out of me! Once I took those antibiotics, that nasty rash, open sores and weeping went away. And also that terrible stench!

Wait, Wait... Are we talking about the same thing!? :grin:

Did it again when I was looking for the post office. Said on the left, it was on the right. This is just silly. Glad Garmin is not in the medical field.

This raises the question of whether there is a way to send Garmin feedback on map errors. There is a road near my house that I ride often and the Garmin maps insist on routing me on a little shortcut road that doesn't exist.

Don't trust the mapping software of any brand as being right. I have 550 and the wife has a 205W with the latest software. I also have Microsoft street and trips. When I put my street address in it is on the oppose side of the street. When I put in our old address that was use until they changed it for 911 in 1993 it will be in the right location. Untill last Oct. I had not had a reason not to trust were it said I needed to go to. We need to go to a funreal home and went in circles try to find it by the GPS directions. Come to find out it was a mile further down the road and this had been there for many years. All the mapping software I have and others I looked at showed the same location. So dont trust them they can get lost.

Don't trust the mapping software of any brand as being right. I have 550 and the wife has a 205W with the latest software. I also have Microsoft street and trips. When I put my street address in it is on the oppose side of the street. When I put in our old address that was use until they changed it for 911 in 1993 it will be in the right location. Untill last Oct. I had not had a reason not to trust were it said I needed to go to. We need to go to a funreal home and went in circles try to find it by the GPS directions. Come to find out it was a mile further down the road and this had been there for many years. All the mapping software I have and others I looked at showed the same location. So dont trust them they can get lost.

Google Maps has our "Kickstands Up" meeting spot (A Bagel Store in a strip mall) almost 1 mile down the road from where it is... ridiculous... it's been there probably more than 15 years.

Your best bet is to report them to Navteq since that is where Garmin obtains their maps. It took two years and sending a few updates before they finally made the map change near me where a bridge replaced an intersection. It does work, eventually.

NAVTEQ Map Reporter

Your best bet is to report them to Navteq since that is where Garmin obtains their maps. It took two years and sending a few updates before they finally made the map change near me where a bridge replaced an intersection. It does work, eventually.

NAVTEQ Map Reporter

+1

Morning 99Roadster

I believe Garmin forwards the problem area on to them after Garmin determines if the problem is not on their end in how the Garmin unit reads the mapping and interprets the map data.

This wrong side of the road thing could a mapping issue or an issue in how the Garmin unit is interpreting the map data.

When I send in mapping issues to Garmin I always include the coordinates of where the mapping “shows” the item and where the “actual physical coordinates” are by me bookmarking the exact location when I get there.

If the coordinates are the same but the Garmin shows it someplace else then there is an issue to be looked into by Garmin. If the coordinates are different then it is probably a mapping issue.

Just to chime in... I predict that there is only a small chance that the problem is map errors... if it happens only at one place then it likely a map error.

If it happens in other places and with some frequency, and the O.P. is making his own routes, then it is probably the classic user error of pointing to the place and failing to zoom in to a REALLY low level.

The third option is that he is using routes generated by the unit, such as pointing to a POI, or some other place already in the map. If that happens over and over then the issues lies in his map software, but you have to wonder why it is not being reported and discussed on the zumoforums...?

NAVTEQ Map Reporter

Interestingly, I went to the Naveteq site and it does not show the nonexistent road that Mapsource routes me on.

Hopz.. He is pointing to your "third" option.. i.e. putting in a direct address, POI, etc.. and finding it on the other side of the road. I too, find that often in my car Nuvi..

I only use my ZUmo 660 on the bike (it seems) for custom routesa I have created (and I place my viapoints at 80 feet-all the way zoomed in) so I don't know if I have ever seen that issue.

But I think your on the money with the maps... it hapens almost always in the car GPS just using it Point to point.

Just don't think that is an issue the Zumoforums would get asked as most users use it for Mapsource custom routing.. (I guess?.. What do you think?)

The third option is that he is using routes generated by the unit, such as pointing to a POI, or some other place already in the map. If that happens over and over then the issues lies in his map software, but you have to wonder why it is not being reported and discussed on the zumoforums...?

That is exactly what I am talking about. I rarely ever create a route. It's a silly nuisance that should not be happening 85% of the time from this expensive unit and software. And like I said this happened in older versions also.

I sure hope I don't jinx myself but our old 2730 and a refurbished one have never done that.

Only issue I have had in many years was loss of XM signal that eventually returned after several refresh signals sent to the unit.

When I route on the computer I make sure to get to the correct side of a road as I've made an error touching S side when I wanted northbound.

Well then... please raise the issue over at zumoforums.com

If there is an answer (we)/they will know it....

As an experiment... you could select a POI for a restaurant or type of place the gives you the incorrect side of the road.

Then make a route yourself using mapsource scrolled to the closest zoom possible. Save it, Transfer it and drive to it to confirm it works correctly. Then drive away slightly and see if the other route still takes you to the wrong place or the navigation prompt says wrong side of the road... lets see what happens.

Archived