IGNORED

It CAN happen to all of us

Francois_Dumas

Francois_Dumas

Today I was 'on assignment', making a photo shoot of the delivery of the new student bikes and the instructor bike to the Riding School Schipper, for whom I designed and maintain the website.

Whilst the bikes were being unloaded and in between shooting photos, we talked about.... well.. riding and bikes of course. Including being 'careful with the fresh tires'.....

Pé, the owner, is a VERY experienced rider, doing 30.000 km's a year with his pupils, and being one of the most successful instructors in the area (exam stats of his pupils).

After all the bikes were unloaded, papers signed and coffee finished, Pe, his wife and another 'assistant' were going to ride a few of the bikes to a nearby parking spot to do some action photos.

I was to follow in my van.

The riders took off, followed by the delivery van of the dealer.... it took me a while longer to get out of my parking spot.

When I rounded the corner the first thing I said was... well, I cannot repeat that here.

I could see the dealer van stopped with his signal lights flashing, a bike laying on the road in front of it, a few people watching, and two riders just parking their bikes in a side road.

I expected one of the bikes had been hit by a car maybe and pulled up behind them with my heart in my throat.

Well..... it turned out that Pé, the instructor himself, was just pushing his brand spanking new Kawasaki 1000 onto the sidewalk.

With about 1000 Euros damage at first estimate, scratched all along the side in many places.

"I turned into the road, slowly and hardly touched the throttle.... and I was flat on the road...", he told me.

He just stood there shaking his head in disbelief, looking at all the damage from a 5 mph drop.

Rough asphalt, near zero temperatures and fresh tires with 0 miles..... it can happen to ALL of us.... !!!

1203519552_Yv6hm-L.jpg

1203519548_9GP6t-L.jpg

Nice n Easy Rider

Francois, that was super generous of Pé to take the time and effort to make us all feel a little less embarrassed about our low speed drops. Hope some of those there took the time to thank him. :grin:

Francois,

It does happen.

Weather and tires or just new tires is often enough.

Seen many riders dump a brand new bike pushing tires leaving parking lot or the first turn.

Also new bikes fresh from PDI going to the gas station...

fortunately not ridden by me.

Jack Herbst

A word to the wise. New tires are very slippery even on dry pavement. Everytime I get new tires the dealer gives out a warning about this hazard. Painted surfaces are even worse!

Got my new K60's yesterday. Slowly broke in new tires.

Jack

+1

A word to the wise. New tires are very slippery even on dry pavement. Everytime I get new tires the dealer gives out a warning about this hazard. Painted surfaces are even worse!

Got my new K60's yesterday. Slowly broke in new tires.

Jack

Thank goodness he had his personal photographer right there to document the incident and spread it all across the world... :)

I dumped my RT on new tyres the day we were due to head out on a touring holiday. I broke the riders footpeg off. Fortuntely this was right ouside the dealer, so I had 20 or so witnesses to help pick up the bike. My dealer pulled a footpeg off a used bike in the showroom and I paid for its replacement so we had our tour.

This is one reason why I now use the new Conti Road Attack 2 tyres - they are made using a new process that does not use a mold release compound and they have a granular appearance from new - much like a scrubbed in tyre.

ANdy

Francois_Dumas
Thank goodness he had his personal photographer right there to document the incident and spread it all across the world... :)

He was asking for it !! :grin: I am gentle to him and won't post it on any Dutch forums :)

Based on your description of him as an instructor, it wouldn't surprise me if he uses this going forward, just as the title of the thread says, and tell his students that it can happen to anyone.

Question for the group -- would a bike with ASC (anti-slip control) have reduced the risk of such a fall? I'm thinking "yes".

Paul Mihalka

I don't know. Standard ASC does not take into consideration lean angle. When accelerating while leaned over the tire has to cope both with the sideways thrust and forward thrust. If the rear wheel is not over accelerating but slides out sideways ASC would not help. As a extreme theoretical example, if you ride into a turn way too fast, even at neutral throttle, with a non-sticking tire (new) ASC can do nothing and you end up on your butt.

BeniciaRT_GT
It CAN happen to all of us... You better believe it!

Nope, not Russell! :rofl:

It CAN happen to all of us... You better believe it!

Nope, not Russell! :rofl:

:thumbsup:

I was waiting for Russell to chime in :grin:.

Archived