IGNORED

SSN...Possible Fraud

Slainte

Here is what happened.

New employer informs me that someone else may be using my SSN for employment purposes and that I should check into it.

I order up a credit report that shows nothing but my own stuff.

I contact the local Social Security Office and they seem unable to verify if someone is or is not using my SSN.

Anybody on here have any experience with this kind of situation. Is there some other agency I should contact.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

I had this happen to me some years ago when a Revenue Canada (CRA) satellite office was broken into and several desk top computers stolen. They informed me of this event by letter advising that I register this theft with our two largest credit reporting agencies, my bank and credit card companies. They in turn will monitor accounts etc. for suspicious activity. I hope this goes well for you as identity theft is a nasty business.

Happens frequently. Someone uses your SSN to obtain employment. Identity theft suspect notes 15 exemptions or no witholding on the W-4 and quits after a year. Real SSN holder gets a big tax bill. You will have a hellatime trying to convince the IRS you didn't work at Mickey D's last year.

Since you are dealing with the social security admin and IRS, good luck finding someone who will pick up the phone.

Read this summary of how to deal with identity theft. There are offices to which you should report this type of fraud, including one within the IRS. However, you need to have some basis for your complaint--ask your employer for the specifics, including all written documentation they have of the purported illegal use of your SSN.

You should report suspected identity theft to the IRS on a Form 14039.

Every year the SSA sends a report showing your reported earnings for each year. They should match your records. If more earnings are showing up than your records support it is a fair bet there is an issue.

How would the employee know that someone's SSN is being illegally used?

The employer? I would think the most likely way would be a rejection from E-Verify.

If that's what happened, then the employer should have given additional information.

Other than that, they could have pulled credit reports or personal histories from the personal dossier compilers like Acxiom or what was ChoicePoint.

Maybe I'm naive but how does E-Verify expose an identity theft suspect?

I would assume the suspect obtains a legit SSN and name, makes up a counterfeit social security card and obtains employment using the bogus documents.

The employer using E-Verify will simply confirm the SSN and name are legit.

Maybe I'm naive but how does E-Verify expose an identity theft suspect?

It's not very likely to expose an identity fraud suspect. It's far more likely to expose an identity fraud victim.

However, to the extent DHS is trying to correct for the former, they're gradually building up its database of photographs, and where photographs exist, photographic matching is required. There have been calls for additional biometrics.

I would assume the suspect obtains a legit SSN and name, makes up a counterfeit social security card and obtains employment using the bogus documents.

The employer using E-Verify will simply confirm the SSN and name are legit.

Yes. Well, SSN, name, and supporting documents, insofar as they have records of them. But let's assume that someone has done that under your name, SSN, and other supporting docs. Now, you come along with all legit information and your new employer submits that to E-Verify. Your actual data won't match what DHS and/or SSA have in their database, and E-Verify fails to assert your work authorization.

In response to:

Poster: Lmar

Subject: Re: SSN...Possible Fraud

How would the employee know that someone's SSN is being illegally used?

Sorry, the question I intended to ask was; How would the employer know?

• 3 weeks later...

Good news...yes someone was using it, but it was a error in some database somewhere and not fraud. I am glad this worked out the way it did. Thanks all for the suggestions and ideas.

Archived