IGNORED

Gold hits all time High $ 1,435.00/oz.

1LIFE2LIVE

Hit it earlier today along with Silver hitting a 31yr. High (almost $35oz.) and Oil at over $ 100/barrel...

Middle East is in a cluster Puck. Refugees pouring out and trying to get into southern Europe. Israel must be in trepidation with all of this going on around them & Iran declaring there desire to wipe them off the face of the earth...

Interesting times...

Dave McReynolds

Ready for inflation?

I think when gold hits $1,435 and oil is selling over $100/barrel, that already IS inflation, whether they call it that or not.

Hit it earlier today along with Silver hitting a 31yr. High (almost $35oz.) and Oil at over $ 100/barrel...

Middle East is in a cluster Puck. Refugees pouring out and trying to get into southern Europe. Israel must be in trepidation with all of this going on around them & Iran declaring there desire to wipe them off the face of the earth...

Interesting times...

This has dangerous hints of getting political & thus locked. Be careful of your response.

With that said, the topic IS the price of gold. Being the owner of a high end dental laboratory, & a user of Au alloy, I include the price of gold in every restoration (along with a decent mark-up). It's pushing the limit of acceptability.

I just paid $4.85 for a gallon of milk and $3.44 for a gallon of gas. I think you're on to something Dave.

WTF Milk did you buy? I just paid... dang I didn't look now you mention it.... :S

We are seeing it at my work as well. Price not just of gold, but raw materials and commerically available components are up double digit percentages from last year. Economically the knee jerk reaction to the threat of inflation may be to raise rates to combat it. That obviously creates a whole 'nother rat's nest to deal with. 9I wonder if we can discuss economics without it getting political... ;) ) Interesting times, indeed....

-MKL

Haven't you heard? Only us stupid unsophisticated investors bought gold... :dopeslap:

Unless you have sold it and actually locked in those gains you still have a chance to join the ranks of the unsophisticated investors. Nothing better than falling in love with an investment on the way up and riding it all the way back down.

John Ranalletta

That view is appropriate if, as an investor, one targets a sell price and trades in and out. There's a lot of wild speculation in the PM markets and a lot of fear driven trading. OTOH, when one looks at the price trends of gold, let alone silver, the rice/gold or maize/gold price ratios have remained fairly constant; whereas, every year, it requires more $ to buy a unit of rice or maize. Given the price trend (below), I wonder why an investor wouldn't want to hold some PM in some form, either as a long term commodity/currency hedge or in/out trader.

Certainly, other investments have done as well, but gold and silver have never been worth nothing, like some stocks and bonds; and, very shortly, the US$.

5474.jpg.ad22bb1ed8bca591d6a6a22b4916e833.jpg

With that said, the topic IS the price of gold. Being the owner of a high end dental laboratory, & a user of Au alloy, I include the price of gold in every restoration (along with a decent mark-up). It's pushing the limit of acceptability.

Having had 2 (very old) gold crowns replaced in the past 2 years, I'm wondering if it's worth the effort to take them in for sale. It may also be time to sell my Kruger Rand, which has been sitting in a safe deposit box for the past 25 years. How DOES one find a reputable gold buyer? There are certainly enough sharks in the water at the moment to be cautious.

John Ranalletta

The crowns are alloys and reprocessing would likely limit value.

Look up Gainesville Coin . No association, but my buy/sell transactions have been handled very promptly and professionally. Handling costs can eat you up on small deals. Limit costs for a one-coin transaction by selling to a local, walk-in coin dealer or individual buyer.

Thank you. I suspected the old crowns were basically for sentimental value. My first crown was made my a dentist who was also a chemistry faculty member at USC, who enjoyed casting his own crowns. I have to say, the process of dealing with a computer-generated porcelain crown seemed technically superior as virtually no fitting was required.

John Ranalletta

Regarding the Krug... If you're a speculator, you could trade it for silver dollars as it has the potential for greater gain in value.

John Ranalletta

Per the US mint:

"because of the continued demand for American Eagle Silver Bullion Coins, 2010-dated American Eagle Silver Uncirculated Coins will not be produced. The United States Mint will resume production of American Eagle Silver Uncirculated Coins once sufficient inventories of silver bullion blanks can be acquired to meet market demand for all three American Eagle Silver Coin products."
Dave McReynolds
Per the US mint:
"because of the continued demand for American Eagle Silver Bullion Coins, 2010-dated American Eagle Silver Uncirculated Coins will not be produced. The United States Mint will resume production of American Eagle Silver Uncirculated Coins once sufficient inventories of silver bullion blanks can be acquired to meet market demand for all three American Eagle Silver Coin products."

I bought a number of 2010 uncirculated American Eagles just for the silver content. I wonder if they will also have a collectible value now?

John Ranalletta
I bought a number of 2010 uncirculated American Eagles just for the silver content. I wonder if they will also have a collectible value now?
Likely not since dealers are selling them by the 500 ct. mint-sealed box:

157028_137658_L.png

The proof sets will probably have some numismatic value.

The saying goes "The trend is your friend".

This PM train seems to just keep on climbing the "wall of worry"; sure seems like it still has some legs on the upside considering the current ongoing economic/geopolitical issues around the world today.

steve.foote
Look up Gainesville Coin . No association, but my buy/sell transactions have been handled very promptly and professionally. Handling costs can eat you up on small deals. Limit costs for a one-coin transaction by selling to a local, walk-in coin dealer or individual buyer.

+1 on Gainsville Coin's. Good service and excellent prices. 1 oz Krugrrands are currently the most efficient to trade.

Archived