IGNORED

Teflon Tape: oil resistant????

markgoodrich

markgoodrich

Last two times I changed my transmission oil I noted the drain plug was very difficult to get back in...I looked carefully, and the threads are not stripped, and I was very careful to pay attention to stripping when I did the jobs. I need to do it again. I'm wondering if regular plumber's teflon tape might help, or if there's an oil-resistant version of the stuff, or if I should just hold my breath when I put the plug back in? No leaks, but I've never encountered a bolt that is so difficult to screw in.

TIA, except for the snide remarks.

CoarsegoldKid

I think teflon tape should work with oil but it might leave a small piece in the engine. There may be a product for just your needs.

BalancePoint

I'd just use a bit of anti-seize on it. Teflon tape is going to make it harder rather than easier to install. A little bit of anti-seize goes a loooong way.

Afternoon Mark

Teflon tape is not a good thing to use on vehicle systems (especially fuel, brake, and lubrication systems).

The company I work for will fire a person in a N.Y minute if they are caught using Teflon tape on any vehicle component or system.

Problem with that stuff is: little pieces break off as the threads screw together and can plug up bearing oil feed holes and brake orifices.

If you want/need to use anything use something that doesn’t have stringy threads in it like PTFE Teflon based sealer or similar.

If your plug is difficult going back in you might want to chase the plug threads and if necessary chase the transmission case threads. For the case chasing put grease on the tap to hold the chips as the tap is turned into the threads).

+1

Those threads have oil on them when you're ready to put the plug back in so if they still don't spin in right- something has dirt caught in it or there is a boogered thread (but see below). Clean them and chase them with the right tap and die if the friction is very erratic suggesting damaged spots. Or if you don't have that you could just replace the plug and see if you get lucky.though if the plug is messed up you ought to be able to see it by careful inspection.

NO TEFLON TAPE!

It is possible that someone very ham handed has damaged the case thread but that takes some doing..

FWIW, I have noticed that the thread fit on my R1200RT is pretty snug. No damage- just snug. A good deal tighter thread fit than the oil drain plug but maybe that's just my bike?

Try the easy fix first: clean the threads on the plug and the case with a clean toothbrush and some solvent (WD40) Examine the threads carefully with an inspection mirror and bright light. If all is well, install the plug with a small dab of anti-seize. If there is thread damage, go to plan B.

pete

Archived