IGNORED

Rolling back the odometer.

DetroitDetomaso

DetroitDetomaso

Rolling back the odometer.

I have a 1991 and a 1989 K100LT. The odometer on the the 91 has stopped working. I have put the odometer from the 89 on the 91. The one from the 89 works great and is just a parts bike. I the only problem is the 89 reads 117,000 and my 91 is only 29,000. Is it possible to roll the odometer back to read 29,000? I know I could fix the 91's odometer but it has been repainted and doesn't look as nice as the one with 117,000.

Thank you for any help.

Paul Mihalka

I think the only way is to send it to a instrument repair shop have them set it to the mileage you want.

I did once the opposite. My '86 K75's instrument failed at around 160.000 miles. I got a new one and had it set at the right mileage. I was very proud of it.

I think the only way is to send it to a instrument repair shop have them set it to the mileage you want.

I did once the opposite. My '86 K75's instrument failed at around 160.000 miles. I got a new one and had it set at the right mileage. I was very proud of it.

Palo Alto Speedometer. I think it's likely that any shop you ask to do this sort of work is going to want some written assurances from you that it reflects the true mileage.

Dennis Andress

Palo Alto Speedometer. I think it's likely that any shop you ask to do this sort of work is going to want some written assurances from you that it reflects the true mileage.

My gosh, Palo Alto Speedometer has been around as longer than Capitol Cycle...

There's a shaft that the odometer number wheels ride on.

There's a gear on one end of this shaft.

Slide the gear off the shaft. Not all the way but just enough so the shaft can move a little.

Doing that may allow each number wheel to slide on the shaft.

If so, try sliding each wheel just enough that it can spin free of its adjacent wheel.

If all that works, turn each wheel to the desired value.

Reassemble.

Be sure to annotate the title that the odometer no longer reflects actual mileage. Failure to do so is a violation of somebody's law...

Paul Mihalka

"Be sure to annotate the title that the odometer no longer reflects actual mileage. Failure to do so is a violation of somebody's law..."

The OP's desire to change the mileage of the spare instrument odometer is so it does represent actual mileage... :)

Dennis Andress
"Be sure to annotate the title that the odometer no longer reflects actual mileage. Failure to do so is a violation of somebody's law..."

The OP's desire to change the mileage of the spare instrument odometer is so it does represent actual mileage... :)

:wave: Hi Paul!

Archived