IGNORED

35mm slide digitization

markgoodrich

markgoodrich

You like me? boxes of slides from eons ago in a closet somewhere? A cousin owns a custom lab in San Antonio, and was happy to convert about 20 of my faves at two bucks apiece. I have 'em in one of those electric picture frames.

I just learned Costco will do the same thing, put 'em on DVD, for twenty nine cents each, including cleaning the slides, and color correction, with quite large file sizes. I dropped off a zillion of them. No idea yet about the quality, but the price is right.

And here I was thinking incest was generally illegal, but you got royally screwed by your cousin. $2 bucks EACH??? WOW that's high.

Anyway, there are some good slide scanners out there for pretty cheap, but it is NOT a quick job. But you do 10-20 a day and soon you'll be done.

The COSTCO thing sounds like a great way to go though!

Let us know how they came out.

I have a good scanner but I seem too unmotivated (lazy) to do my own.

Regards

Bernd

I had several hundred (maybe 1000?) slides to convert. Doing so via a lab would not have been cost effective (for me). So I bought a really nice scanner with a slide attachment (does about 4 slides at a time IIRC). Yes, it took some time, but I got them color corrected, etc. to what I like. And I enjoyed the reminiscing as I looked through the old pictures Dad had taken.

Mike O

I had several hundred (maybe 1000?) slides to convert. Doing so via a lab would not have been cost effective (for me). So I bought a really nice scanner with a slide attachment (does about 4 slides at a time IIRC). Yes, it took some time, but I got them color corrected, etc. to what I like. And I enjoyed the reminiscing as I looked through the old pictures Dad had taken.

Mike O

That's also what I did for my huge collection from the 60's and 70's. I enjoyed the process and pretty much payed for the scanner by doing it myself.

I didn't use it for slides, but I recently sent thousands of my parents' prints off to ScanMyPhotos.com and they did a great job of scanning, color-correcting, and burning them to DVDs. They indicate on their website that their slide scanning starts at "as low as" $.39/slide.

It seems that they may be a bit pricier than some others, but my experience was very good.

Mike O

That's also what I did for my huge collection from the 60's and 70's. I enjoyed the process and pretty much payed for the scanner by doing it myself.

Mark got a dedicated slide/film scanner, but otherwise did the same thing. He has finished his slides (finally). Now he is working on getting his negatives scanned too. There are, however, fewer of those and they are more likely to be snaps that he may or may not want to keep. So I don't think that will be as long a project.

Archived