IGNORED

Zumo 550 Problems

frenchwv

I know this has been discussed before, but the provided solutions are not working for me. I have a new 550 and the new North America map set is too big to install. I can install the U.S. or Canada, but can not install both. I have deleted all of the unnecessary language files and such off the device disk space and there is still not enough room to install all of North America. Any ideas on a fix?

The solution is easy and inexpensive. Go get an SD card. If you have a 4GB card you will be good. 8 is better, especially if you have a lot music to load.

The popular way to do this is transfer the new map set or (sub-set) of just the US or of North America to your computer (if you already have your Mapsource program on the computer- the map will automatically go there) and then on to the new card. This may take 3 to 6 hours depending on the speed of your computer. Note, this is after the 4 hour download to your computer. You can do this with the SD card in the zumo unit.

When you boot the zumo you can go to the Map Info tab under Maps... and select the new map set.

At the zumo forums there is a good sticky thread on this and it suggests deleting the old map from the current set in the zumo. I was advised not to do that by Garmin Tech Support, I didn't do it, and it works fine.

You will also end up the new Mapsource version and that seems to work well also.

Tech support will probably be glad to help you. This solution is basically your only bet since the maps have grown so large they will not reside in the internal memory any longer.

Feel free to contact me with further questions.

Archived