IGNORED

Plastic intakes

dan cata

Hi,

A friend is parting a 98' 1100GS. I don't exactly remember, but is it worth to change the plastic intakes and swap them with the ones on my 96' RT?

pv_file_124435_php1GOSHu.jpg

Dan.

For the 1100RT, fitting 1100GS intake tubes - the ones that go into the airbox - gives a noticeable increase in mid-range power, at the expense of top-end power. For most real-world riding it is one of the best mods you can do to the 1100RT. For us 1150 owners however, there are no such easy gains to be had.

Andy

My R1100RS has GS intake tubes and I like the increased midrange bump. I get more joy from the extra "honk" than I did from the aftermarket exhaust system I got rid of.

Give it a try, it's easy to put back if you don't like it.

I did this mod to My RT and was pleasantly surprised at the difference. One thing to note, there is an o-ring under each tube at the throttle body. If you are near a dealer, pick two of those up. One of mine fell apart when I took the old tube off. I couldn't find an exact match at autozone, but the guy behind the counter found something pretty close, just a little long. I managed to trim it and rtv it at the split, and this worked well enough, but I got a new one the next time I was at the dealer.

I did this mod to My RT and was pleasantly surprised at the difference. One thing to note, there is an o-ring under each tube at the throttle body. If you are near a dealer, pick two of those up. One of mine fell apart when I took the old tube off. I couldn't find an exact match at autozone, but the guy behind the counter found something pretty close, just a little long. I managed to trim it and rtv it at the split, and this worked well enough, but I got a new one the next time I was at the dealer.

Hi,

That's funny, I supply those large o-rings together with the repair kits for the TB's.

Thanks all, I'll ring my friend and get the tubes ;)

Dan.

Just in case someone is interested, the GS handguards also fit the R1100R roadster. I've also got the GS tubes on my 11R. They make a bit of a boomy sound, but run nicely.

During the R's current down time/winter service, this mod's been installed. Haven't fired it up yet to see how it runs, kinda waiting for the spring to do the check ride.

They make a bit of a boomy sound, but run nicely.

Can you be more specific about the above?

Anyway, I have ordered the tubes, but will not mount them until I will have to get the fairing off for some reason...

Dan.

I have also read somewhere a while ago, that GS owners want the RT intakes and the RT owners want the GS intakes. Is that true? Do RT intakes performe better at low rewing, that would be usefull to GS offroading?

Joe Frickin' Friday
They make a bit of a boomy sound, but run nicely.

Can you be more specific about the above?

Part of any engine's noise is sound coming from the intake system. When you put GS tubes on the RT, it changes the way your engine's intake sounds; there's noticeably more noise coming from it. Not awful/obnoxious, but noticeable.

Where did those of you who have done this acquire your GS tubes? I just checked beemerboneyard and the best I could do is sign up for an email alert when available?

roughwaterjohn
Where did those of you who have done this acquire your GS tubes? I just checked beemerboneyard and the best I could do is sign up for an email alert when available?

They're really good about e-mailing back. Everything I've put in an e-mail request for, I received a reply with parts available within a couple of days.

I was on a waiting list at Beemer Boneyard for a gearbox a couple of years ago. I did get an e-mail when my name came up to the top of the list and one was available.

• 3 weeks later...

Last Saturday I managed to mount the new tubes. Also, new TB's having the splitter cable box unlike the OEM setup for my '96 RT that used to be a single cable for both TB's.

After mounting them, did a sync for both idle and 2500 RPM. Sync was done in the garage, not while riding as some of you do.

Anyway, I am dissapointed in the results. It may only be me, but after a 400 km ride after the job was done, I have noticed a small hesitation around the 4k RPM range, in all gears... This was not there before the mod was made, but like I said, it could only be my ilussion. :|

Dan.

Hi Dan,

I am pretty sure it is not the tubes themselves causing this problem. I would revisit the installation and double check the throttle operation and also any air leak issues.

There is no way you could have nocked the throttle position sensor??

Andy

Hi Dan,

I am pretty sure it is not the tubes themselves causing this problem. I would revisit the installation and double check the throttle operation and also any air leak issues.

There is no way you could have nocked the throttle position sensor??

Andy

:|

Forgot to check/adjust if needed.

You may be right. I know the TPS only works for some angle of the butterfly, like untill you reach 4k rpm, and then it isn't taken into consideration by the motronic brain.

I know this because I once got the plug off my TPS on the GS, and the bike ran like crap untik 4k rpm, then reved normally.

Will give it a check next time the fairing is off ;)

Dan.

Archived