IGNORED

World Superbike

TedG

WSBK racing kicks off today at Phillip Island, AUS. Speed will be showing the races on tape delay starting at 5PM, Eastern. I expect Leon (son of Ron) Haslam will be the BMW rider to watch this year. The kid's got the goods.

no hijack intended...

my DVR picked up a WSB race from Nuremberg Ring.... and Haga won race 1 but lost it in race 2. The DVR said it was a 2011 event but no way it was actually 2011 northern Germany...

any idea what that was about?

Last year I was MotoGP only, but heard and read way too much about the great racing that went on in WSBK. Add me to the list of those taping the whole season.

Are they ever going to broadcast this in HD in North America?

I believe I watched it in HD on SpeedHD TV.

I watched it on SpeedHD too, but it sure wasn't in HD. Mmm...

Our cable tv provider offers two versions of Speed channel here; one 'regular' cable; one High Definition. I watched the WSBK races today in HD.

Tim

The picture quality is horrible. You can not read the graphics.

Its like forgetting to wear your glasses if your uncorrected vision is 20/200.

But... it may be better then nothing.

Are they ever going to broadcast this in HD in North America?

I believe I watched it in HD on SpeedHD TV.

I watched it on SpeedHD too, but it sure wasn't in HD. Mmm...

In fact the images and sound were of very poor quality.

(don't have HD)

I switched channel, had enough.

Our cable tv provider offers two versions of Speed channel here; one 'regular' cable; one High Definition. I watched the WSBK races today in HD.

Tim

Same here, but the feed on the HD channel in NY was definitely not HD. It looked like garbage. Couldn't even read the small text.

IMO it took a lot away from watching the race.

CoarsegoldKid

I contacted Dish. They haven't a clue as to why it isn't HD. So is Direct TV broadcasting the races in HD?

James Clark
I contacted Dish. They haven't a clue as to why it isn't HD. So is Direct TV broadcasting the races in HD?

1. Because the content wasn't available to SpeedTV in HD.

or

B. SpeedTV didn't want to pay twice for SD and HD content for both channels.

BMW is in WSBK to market and develop the S 1000 RR.

MotoGP is more of a technological showcase/corporate ego thing. Kind of hard to justify the vastly greater expense when there is no direct payoff in the showroom, especially for a relatively small player in the Motorcycle business....just ask Aprilla why they bailed on GP and went to WSBK.

markgoodrich

WSBK has not been in HD in years past. I have DirecTV; it's not HD.

But the racing: nice to see Checa kill 'em all, after the crazy things that happened to him last year, but I thought both races were, well, not very interesting. Sort of fun to see Haslam up front, but there just didn't seem to be any real excitement, as in years past, or as in MotoGP or Moto2.

The poor picture quality combined with all the bikes having fairly similar color schemes made it almost impossible to figure out who was where.

The Kaws sure didn't live up to their hype, but then, that's to be expected. I imagine they'll move forward.

CoarsegoldKid

Thanks Mark. Back to the racing. I found the dice between Biaggi and Melandri to be exciting. That Aprilla sure was fast. The rest of the pack was more like a F1 race. I hope to see better racing as the year progresses. Also good to see Haslam take a third in the first race.

James Clark
So is Direct TV broadcasting the races in HD?

Are they?

The broadcast is HD.

The content? Not so much.

WSB apparently has lousy feeds. I saw it on the HD version of Speed on a 50" plasma screen and was only able to identify the bikes by position on the track and color. And because most are white/blue and the resolution sucks, it is impossible to see any detail.

Sound work is equally poor. Lousy announcers, bad accents, poor audio engineering- almost unintelligble sometimes.

In addition to bad resolution, production is terrible. Way too many good passes and offs missed, no effective use of instant replay, etc.

All in all its not much above amateur or homebrew TV work.

Not to start, or even prolong the visual quality coverage of WSB but....

The announcers are narrating over the feed that is made by someone else. IMO they are not part of a video production team. They talk about what they are given. I base this on viewing numerous seasons of WSB and they way the announcers refer to track incidents... and it is obvious they are just invited guests, not the ones throwing the party.

I assume this is partly the reason that the video quality is so poor. High-Def video costs more than what we are seeing and I am guessing that the track video producers are using what they have had for a few years. I also wonder if there is a quality loss between the video standards of the rest of the world and what is used in the US.

I wish it were better too but looks like not this season.

Archived