IGNORED

Home theatre advice

taters

Looking to get a panasonic 3d tv and I want to get a surround sound system to go with it. Under $2000 for the surround sound system. Any suggestions? Thanks

This is a great system from Bose at Best Buy

No hijack intended but do some research on BOSE and you'll discover that it is WAY, WAAAY overpriced for what it is and JUST TRY to get some actual lab verified audio specs. Won't happen. BOSE does NOT release their specs. Kinda makes you wonder why, huh?

Just my 2 cents worth

Regards

Bernd

Another NO!! vote for Bose. Absolute worst value for money.

Look at a good brand name receiver like Pioneer, Denon, Onkyo and a good speaker package with a sub woofer.

Bear in mind that most current surround sound formats use full range audio on front and rear channels, so it is important to use speakers capable of full range reproduction. You don't want to rely on the sub to produce all the mid and mid bass frequencies. Obviously, space and budget will dictate what you end up with.

Good Luck!

This is a great system from Bose at Best Buy

No hijack intended but do some research on BOSE and you'll discover that it is WAY, WAAAY overpriced for what it is and JUST TRY to get some actual lab verified audio specs. Won't happen. BOSE does NOT release their specs. Kinda makes you wonder why, huh?

Just my 2 cents worth

Regards

Bernd

When I was working in the semi business we did some biz with Bose. They have some of the most advanced acoustic labs around, and a terrific acoustical engineering department. I think they also make some excellent stuff in small packages, but that's just one opinion. I'm not crazy about their home theater package, but I know lots on both sides of the BOSE fence.

As far as published specs, I think we'd all be better off without them. IMO, people get much too involved with specs to the point of having them override their listening preferences. When you reach the level of good equipment, again it's just my opinion, 99% of the buying public would be much better off throwing out the spec sheets and using only their ears.

I guess my main point to the OP is go out and listen to lots of stuff, and buy what sounds right for you. Also, insure that you can exchange it in case it doesn't sound right in your home. Don't take my or any other recommendation other than giving them a listen.

Agreed.

Like motorcycle saddles, opinions vary greatly.

Listening, preferably somewhere with similar design as the room you use.

I listened to a Polk Audio sound bar that would work for me and the cost was very reasonable (at the time on sale under $400) but many sniff at the soundbar concept.

Have done the "system" approach but tired of the multi speaker setup.

YMMV.

Agreed.

Like motorcycle saddles, opinions vary greatly.

Listening, preferably somewhere with similar design as the room you use.

I listened to a Polk Audio sound bar that would work for me and the cost was very reasonable (at the time on sale under $400) but many sniff at the soundbar concept.

Have done the "system" approach but tired of the multi speaker setup.

YMMV.

Kind of getting there myself. I've got a cobbled-together system that employs the almost-legendary Optimus Pro LX-5 speakers, a Radio Shack product produced by Linaeum. You can put together a respectable system for well under $2,000.

Another NO!! vote for Bose.

You can do definitey do better than Bose for the money. Consumer Reports recently tested all-in-one sound systems that are easy to add to a TV. The best sound comes from picking and choosing separate components though, especially speakers. I paid a lot of money for a set of Dunlavy SC IV speakers about 10 years ago and I still consider it money very well spent, given all the pleasure they have brought to my ears.

Crutchfield is a solid company and a good source for decent information and to purchase consumer-grade components. Their prices are usually not the cheapest out there, but their service makes up for it.

Jay

Aluminum_Butt

Agree with others that Bose is a POS. No highs, no lows - that's Bose :grin:

Bottom line is that you have to go listen to the stuff. Most brands are known for a characteristic - Onkyo = natural sound, Infinity = smooth highs and tight bass. It's a matter of personal taste.

For $2K you can get something nice. Recommend that you don't go for a package system. Instead, plan 40% for speakers, 30% for receiver, 10-20% for DVD/Bluray, 5-10% for cables. When in doubt buy a bigger subwoofer.

I, too, am a fan of Crutchfield. But the reality is their prices are generally the same as the local stores, and you really need to go hear before you buy.

kLIPSCH....affordable and freekin' awesome acoustics

I bought a mirage 7.1 system. Mirage is part of Klipsch. Good stuff. Anodized black speaker housings.

I consider thinking twice on the panasonic TV. Check reviews before you buy.

thanks for the advice... bower and wilkins 600 series for 2 front speakers, 2 rear speakers and a front channel speaker...$2000 no subwoofer but non commissioned salesman said i probably would not need one.. just 5~600 for a receiver.

If you have the fronts/center close to the TV, make sure they are shielded.

I have a denon AVR 1910 receiver, PS3 for BluRay/Netflix, and a logitech harmony one remote.

The sub is a personal choice, but if you watch a lot of movies, I would consider getting a sub in the future. The sub provides non directional bass, which your regular speakers cant. Most of the dialog comes thru the center - so a good center is most important - but you have that covered.

...Most of the dialog comes thru the center - so a good center is most important - but you have that covered.

In fact, if you can, I'd find a retailer who will sell you three identical speakers for left/right/centre. Most will not split pairs, but the centre speaker carries most if not all of the dialogue and you should try to get one that's equally as good as the left and right front speakers. Many people end up buying centre-channel speakers that are inferior to the left and right speakers.

The best advice is trust your ears. Remember, this is all about sound, not electronics, so I'd spend more on the speakers than anything else.

Good luck.

Aluminum_Butt
thanks for the advice... bower and wilkins 600 series for 2 front speakers, 2 rear speakers and a front channel speaker...$2000 no subwoofer but non commissioned salesman said i probably would not need one.. just 5~600 for a receiver.

B&W makes nice stuff, and I think the price point on the receiver is about right - anything more and you're likely moving to features that won't do you that much good (e.g. dual zone).

Personally, I think leaving out the sub is a mistake. You can always add it later, but if you're watching movies, anything that rumbles (from a jet to a thunderstorm) will just be better with a sub.

As far as published specs, I think we'd all be better off without them. IMO, people get much too involved with specs to the point of having them override their listening preferences. When you reach the level of good equipment, again it's just my opinion, 99% of the buying public would be much better off throwing out the spec sheets and using only their ears.

I think no specs would be a problem for me. Frequency response, power handling and some indication of audio pattern.

Although, I agree the bottom line should be a lot of time listening to the system. One of the most fidelity critical specs is distortion. And distortion comes in many flavors. Distortion is almost never specified on speakers. Why? It is usually horrible, difficult to measure and not consistant(compared with every other piece of audio gear). The listen test usually identifies an issue with distortion.

I have a really nice pair of Kef 104's mated with a Nakamichi stasis amp bought back in late 80's. Pink Floyd the wall helicopter sounds like the copter is landing on the roof!

No need for surround sound with this combo.

Unfortunately, my wife like it quiet. :cry:

May I add an aside to this discussion and offer a suggestion for cables...

Whatever system you decide to buy, get all your cables from Monoprice.com. I have no relation to the company. I am just a happy customer who is astounded by their low prices on speaker, HDMI, network, and computer cables. For example, a 6-f. HDMI cable that costs $29.99 at Best Buy... $2 at Monoprice.

I am setting up a 5.1 surround system tomorrow in my new apartment. I bought my components at Crutchfield. Bought the connectors at Monoprice 16awg speaker wire, 10 pairs of banana plugs, and a 6-ft. subwoofer cable, with overnight shipping to CA and sales tax cost me $33.47. The same order at Crutchfield would have been over $200!

- Another vote for B&W... (I get compliments frequently) And yes, I found a retailer that sold me three identical and matched front speakers and a different set for the rears) - Second Bone's choice on Klipsch

- Get a subwoofer (I have a Velodyne). If you're sampling speak setups, have the sales person turn the subwoofer OFF during the demo. Trust me... You'll notice.

- And another vote for Monoprice - cabling purchased at the major box retailer is the biggest ripoff.

Mike O

I've got a cobbled-together system that employs the almost-legendary Optimus Pro LX-5 speakers, a Radio Shack product produced by Linaeum. You can put together a respectable system for well under $2,000.

Fixed it for you. Years ago I was blown away at the sound quality of those speakers. IIRC, they employed a ribbon based tweeter. And for the price you couldn't find a better sound/value.

Mike O

I've got a cobbled-together system that employs the almost-legendary Optimus Pro LX-5 speakers, a Radio Shack product produced by Linaeum. You can put together a respectable system for well under $2,000.

Fixed it for you. Years ago I was blown away at the sound quality of those speakers. IIRC, they employed a ribbon based tweeter. And for the price you couldn't find a better sound/value.

Mike O

I don't consider myself an audiophile, but the reviews of these speakers were pretty phenomenal when they were introduced. Linaeum was, at that time, a manufacturer of very high-end speakers (think $10,000 and up), and ended up, somehow, manufacturing these speakers for Radio Shack. They retailed for $149/pair and regularly went on sale for $99/pair. I've got four of them integrated into my system and another two waiting for just the right application somewhere else. To my untrained ear they sound pretty darned good.

I think that the lesson to be learned is that you don't need to spend a huge amount of money on a system. I have a friend who spent about $20K on a home theatre system that doesn't sound any better than the one I cobbled together for well under $1,000. It always starts with good-quality speakers. From there you can buy a good receiver for $400 - $600.

$2,000 is a more than adequate budget.

May I add an aside to this discussion and offer a suggestion for cables...

Whatever system you decide to buy, get all your cables from Monoprice.com.

Yes . . . amazing values.

I have used a Polk soundbar for years along with a subwoofer and am very happy with it. No wires running everywhere. About specs - unless you have an room with perfect acoustics, my bet is you won't be able to tell any difference between any reasonable system. I agree Bose is overpriced (I have two small Bose units which I really like so I like Bose, I just think their home theatre units are overpriced and not worth it). Check out Costco, they always have several packages available at good prices.

Joe Frickin' Friday

Magnetic fields were indeed an issue for old CRT-style television sets, but are they still a problem for late-model LCD/plasma flatscreens?

I have a really nice pair of Kef 104's mated with a Nakamichi stasis amp bought back in late 80's.

[hijack] Jealous! I still lament the day I passed on buying the Kef 104s from my USAF Base Exhange in the late 80's. I spent that paycheck on a Nak CR7 and the Kef C40s instead! Do you have the 5 or 7 series amp/preamp? Beautiful stuff. I'm glad to hear your near-classic system is still thumping along. What a great pair of speakers those are. [/hijack]

Taters - if you do consider adding a sub, there is great value in the HSU Research subwoofers. I bought a VTF-1, which would make a fine addition to a HT set up for a mid-size listening area. A decent powered sub will take the load off of the rest of your speakers for reproducing the deep frequencies that are part of the HT experience. Explosions you feel rather than hear - even at lower listening levels. You can buy from them with confidence online.

Magnetic fields were indeed an issue for old CRT-style television sets, but are they still a problem for late-model LCD/plasma flatscreens?

I don't think magnets are a problem for LCD and plasma screens. They don't use electron beams nor magnets, so I can't see how they would interfere. I'm not positive on this however.

I don't think magnets are a problem for LCD and plasma screens. They don't use electron beams nor magnets, so I can't see how they would interfere. I'm not positive on this however.

Now that it is pointed out, I'm not sure. Stuck in old school thinking - like the 3000 mile oil change.

Mitch's feelings serve him well. Only the CRTs were affected by unshielded speakers. The flat-screeens are unaffected.

Archived