IGNORED

Interesting and troubling (if you live in SW US) climate info

John Ranalletta

ShovelStrokeEd

Scary, ain't it.

I long ago predicted that one of the largest problems facing modern man will be the water supply. This is only the earliest of the drips. I predict a shooting war over water within the next 20 years. I won't be here so somebody remember this.

John Ranalletta

Great lakes states' have joined in the "Great Lakes Agreement and Compact" to head off any attempts to siphon water from the basins.

I thought it interesting that electric generation plants account for 40%+ water use. That means nukes aren't the answer either.

I'm self reliant at the moment with the power my solar panels provide (no power bills for 6 months) and we capture rain water in huge tanks for our own use.

This has been the trend in Australia for some years since it became apparent that we were facing long term droughts. Not this year, as we're being flushed into the oceans with widespread flooding (La Nina).

We, as a nation are being urged to be more self sufficient and less reliant on what we used to take for granted.

Linz :)

Joe Frickin' Friday
Hope we don't have a copyright issue linking that article. Very interesting.

No problem. The author is hosting the material on her own website, and making it available for free viewing; linking to it from here is fine.

I'm actually more concerned for the southeast than for California. Water is being used unwisely here, but the conservation drum has been beating for a very long time. While there are legendary disagreements over what to do about it, there's a broad recognition that water is a scarce resource that needs to be managed.

Plus, the contrast between the natural flora and the watered areas is so dramatic that nobody can deny the fact that we're dumping a lot of water into the ground. Can you spot where water is being spent for entertainment in this picture?

ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=5468&filename=HiddenValleyPic.jpg

John Ranalletta

I remember the first time flying into Palm Springs to see the contrast between the fairways and scrub.

Regarding the southeast, in the early 80's we enjoyed a day on a full Lake Lanier and just a few years ago it was severely depleted and then refilled again since.

For more than two years, while Lake Lanier was at its lowest points, the region endured strict water-use restrictions. Local utilities implemented intense conservation programs to meet state-mandated reductions in water use. Residents were banned from most outdoor water use.

"There have been a lot of people laid off because of this drought and the low water levels, and I think a lot of that will come back (now)," aid Val Perry, executive vice president of the Lake Lanier Association, a volunteer group that strives to preserve water quality and quantity in the lake.

lake_lanier_drought.jpg

When I moved from Chicago one of my concerns was drinking water. I'd have loved to live on 80 acres here in upstate N.Y. since land is very inexpensive, but I opted for 1 acre in town with fresh Canandaigua Lake water. Around here well water is very hard and I expect to see shortages in my lifetime.

After spending time in the BVI, where "We only flush for #2" and T-tissue is thrown in the waste basket I've been re-evaluating my level of conservation. It's long past time for me to invest in rain barrels. Shame.

skinny_tom (aka boney)

Wanna make some money? Specialize as an attorney for water rights. You'll be rich beyond your wildest dreams in a few years. Especially here in Kalifornia.

There's lots of agricultural waste too. Water rights can be passed among family members. So if your family has been farming in CA for a long time, you can use just about as much water as you want, running your sprinklers for hours on end on the hottest days of the year.

Interesting indeed....

While there are many that would look to capitalize on the impacts, I'd be interesting in exploring who might be solving the problem (and invest there!). While current desalination techiques are not cost effective (or efficient), where opportunity knocks....investors show up;)

Mike O

This is really nothing new. Water has been a big issue in this area for the last 100 years.

The major problem is over population. And the most popular human activity is having more kids.

All of the resources on this planet are limited in amount.

The vast majority of the water in Los Angeles comes from 300 miles away.

Of course there is a doomsday somewhere in the future.

dc

T Boone Pickens was on Charlie Rose a couple of years ago. At that time he was trying to buy up water rights in different areas. He said that controlling water rights will be the biggest issue (and potential money maker) in our country within a few years.

As you can imagine, the associated problems with control during severe shortages will make gas/oil issues seem like child's play.

John Ranalletta
The major problem is over population

Ya think? Or is it possibly disproportionately high use of water resource by some.

jacuzzi-1.jpg

pool-1.jpg

1etry.jpg

hose_end_banner_02.jpg

las-vegas-bellagio.jpg

T Boone Pickens was on Charlie Rose a couple of years ago. At that time he was trying to buy up water rights in different areas. He said that controlling water rights will be the biggest issue (and potential money maker) in our country within a few years.

As you can imagine, the associated problems with control during severe shortages will make gas/oil issues seem like child's play.

T Boone PIckens also ran a series of commercials about our countries need for natural gas as an alternative to oil. It just so happens many here in the North East are fighting to prevent the gas companies from using volumes of water and chemicals to hydrofrack the gas out of the ground....with precarious results for our fresh water supply.

The only ace in the hole for the relatively sparsely populated state of NY is the fact that NYC gets it's drinking water from upstate and with their collective voices we are so far holding off the fracking interests.

Life is possible without oil and gas, but not without water.

Joe Frickin' Friday
This is really nothing new. Water has been a big issue in this area for the last 100 years.

A post card I picked up in Cody back in '04:

5469.jpg.c119407c4f661d7b3106e69389fb9781.jpg

CoarsegoldKid

The major problem is over population. And the most popular human activity is having more kids.

All of the resources on this planet are limited in amount.

The vast majority of the water in Los Angeles comes from 300 miles away.

Of course there is a doomsday somewhere in the future.

dc

Truer words were never spoken.

IF I were dictator I'd slip BC in the water every now and then. Now you know why I'm not.

Archived