IGNORED

Milage Modifications

Pat Buzzard

Ponch-

I have read with great interest about Joule and their promising technology. It seems years off from economies of scale but we must crawl before we run. I'm with you on that.

Regarding the rest of your post it's the same vague, obvious generalization as we usually see. Increase supply and price should go down. Yeah, I know that much. What I'm asking for is akin to what a manager would ask before an equipment expenditure - HOW MUCH will it go down vs. how much it costs to build. The answer, I'm afraid, from everything I've read, is nil - even at today's inflated prices.

The rest about "eco-weenies" and so on is not really worth responding to, unless you're under the false impression that the other side is beyond name-calling and criticism. Please, don't make that mistake. There's plenty of criticism to go around. Might also push us over the edge of what we're allowed to discuss in this forum. Suffice it to say, as usual, I see one side of a response (supply) and not a squeak about demand. Such viewpoints are, to me, a solution heavy on sloganeering and light on concrete facts which actually might have a chance of success.

-MKL

There are those that think if you drill you will strike oil. Probably 99 times out of 100 you won't. Particularly if you drill in the wrong place.

Lo and behold, what was on the same block as me here in Torrance?

... yes, an oil well.

What happened to it? Did the govt shut it down? No. Did environmentalists? No.

Over the last 50 years, it kept pumping less and less, til it wasn't worth it.

There used to be hundreds, if not thousands of wells here in the Los Angeles area. They went dry.

That happens at some point, where the oil reserve is small, and the oil is pumped out. Oil is a finite resource.

It makes a good political slogan (avoid that here if you would).

But drilling only makes sense where the oil is.

Why do they drill in the middle east? Because that's where the oil is.

Oddly enough if you don't like the price of gas, don't buy it. Do you know what happens then? The price goes ... down. To get you to buy more.

What happens when it is peak demand time? The price goes up.

And that's not because the govt or the ecologists get something out of it.

dc

Someone posted the costs and profits and if you look, my assumptions are correct http://www.energyalmanac.ca.gov/gasoline/margins/index.html. What I will say is that we have seen the cost and problems with progressive policies on about every front in California and New York. Somehow money is something that comes from heaven like manna. For the record, I am a libertarian. I'll leave the slogans for Limbaugh et al and the MSM.

There are those that think if you drill you will strike oil. Probably 99 times out of 100 you won't. Particularly if you drill in the wrong place.

Lo and behold, what was on the same block as me here in Torrance?

... yes, an oil well.

What happened to it? Did the govt shut it down? No. Did environmentalists? No.

Over the last 50 years, it kept pumping less and less, til it wasn't worth it.

There used to be hundreds, if not thousands of wells here in the Los Angeles area. They went dry.

That happens at some point, where the oil reserve is small, and the oil is pumped out. Oil is a finite resource.

It makes a good political slogan (avoid that here if you would).

But drilling only makes sense where the oil is.

Why do they drill in the middle east? Because that's where the oil is.

Oddly enough if you don't like the price of gas, don't buy it. Do you know what happens then? The price goes ... down. To get you to buy more.

What happens when it is peak demand time? The price goes up.

And that's not because the govt or the ecologists get something out of it.

dc

I guess they are acting in their best interests, like everyone else involved.

Archived