IGNORED

Who would you like to have coffe/beer with?

Mike O

I've always been intrigued about having the opportunity to have a one-on-one discussion with an individual that was a signficant historical figure (Jimmie Doolittle, Martin Luther King, Caesar, etc.) Someone I could soak in the historical significance of their contribution to history (good or bad) with no inhibitions on their part or my questions to them. As a formally trained engineer, I naturally gravitate towards to the 'Captains of Industry' but also think about those individuals that had an impact on our sociological fabric.

I'd be eager to spend a few hours with:

- Henry Ford

- Dalai Lama

I've had the opportunity to visit the Ford Museum in Dearborn Mich. and was fascinated by Henry Ford and his relationship with Thomas Edison. I was also lucky to have heard the Dalia Lama speak at my Alma Mater. However, these events pale in comparison to spending one on one real time just chatting with these individuals.

Who would you like to share a coffee or toss back tall cold one with? Past or present?

Regards,

Mike O

Dave McReynolds

fascinated by Henry Ford and his relationship with Thomas Edison

I was fascinated by the play "Camping with Henry and Tom," by St. Germain, and that Warren Harding accompanied the boys on one of their annual camping trips.

I would like to have a coffee/beer (for a start) with Amelia Earhart. She strikes me as the kind of person I would like to be, had I been born a woman.

I've had the opportunity to visit the Ford Museum in Dearborn Mich. and was fascinated by Henry Ford and his relationship with Thomas Edison.

Who would you like to share a coffee or toss back tall cold one with?

Been to the Henry Ford museum and Edison's winter home just south of here. Both good choices. Teddy Roosevelt comes to mind as does Ben Franklin, Thomas Jefferson and Abe Lincoln. Albert Einstein, Galileo and Newton, too.

But honestly, I would have to go with my dad. He died when I was 6 so I really never got to know him at all. :cry: He had a Norton in the sixties and loved cartoons as much as me. Beyond that....

For a serious conversation I would love to sit down with Bob Lutz. From the past it would be Rudolf Uhlenhaut, Mercedes engineer of legends. Besides being a engineer, when a race driver complained about something, Uhlenhaut got in the car on the track and beat the racer's times.

For a beer I would love to sit down with Sarah Palin. That should be fun...

Joe Frickin' Friday

Scientists:

Carl Sagan

Richard Feynman

I'll think of some other historic folks, but those two for starters.

Jesus.

As most know, I am not religious. But there is a person who has likely had more influence on my life circumstances than anyone else in history. I'd be interested to see what he was like.

Dave McReynolds
Jesus.

As most know, I am not religious. But there is a person who has likely had more influence on my life circumstances than anyone else in history. I'd be interested to see what he was like.

Who knows Jan, you might get your wish (I don't know about the coffee and beer, though).

Jesus.

Who knows Jan, you might get your wish (I don't know about the coffee and beer, though).

No kidding:

Judgment Day cometh ... May 21

Jesus.

I was thinking exactly the same thing.

John Wayne, Ronald Reagan and Chuck Yeager. That should cover my three interests, film, politics and flying. I wouldn't pass up a day with Jay Leno either.

Friedrich August von Hayek

Lee Harvey Oswald

James Madison

Babe Ruth

David Wenner..(Father in-law)

James Kachadou Kachadourian..(Grandfather)

I really don't wanna bother with anyone above room temp.

L

A little closer to home..

I had a grandfather that died when I was eight. Even at that age I could tell he was a real character but I was too young to hang with him and his buddies. He smoked a pipe, drove an old MG with wire wheels and golfed with a whiskey flask. He always had a shine in his eyes for me no matter what I did, I would love to buy him a pint and walk the links together.

Several:

My Father - who fortunately I get to visit with on a daily basis. My parents live in my guest house. He's awesome. And I am grateful.

Neil Armstrong - if he'd talk. He's pretty private.

Wright brothers.

Any of America's Founding Fathers.

Ronald Reagan.

But if I only get one - Jesus.

Joe Frickin' Friday
Ernest Shackleton

Thanks for mentioning that one. For anyone who hasn't heard of Sir Ernest Shackleton, this is a guy who attempted to lead a trans-antarctic expedition in the early 1900's. Their ship got caught in the ice and slowly crushed, giving them time to move all of their supplies and equipment out onto the ice, where they survived for nearly two years before being rescued, without losing a single one of the 28 men. The real events are far, far more dramatic than what I'm describing here, and if Hollywood came up with a similar storyline you'd roll your eyes and think "this is the stupidest thing I've ever seen." But these guys did it, and Shackleton smartly led them all through it.

I highly recommend this book, which recounts the entire voyage in great detail, reconstructed from the diaries of many of the men on that voyage. My dad read that book many years ago, and I read it soon after. It made such an impression on my dad that soon after my parents retired, they travelled to Antarctica, and one of their stops on the way was to visit Shacketon's grave on South Georgia island.

After your post, I'd have to say yeah, Shackleton's on my list, and if you asked my dad who he'd like to have a beer with, I'd bet Shackleton will be on his list, too.

I am going with Nikola Tesla. The man was too brilliant to be recognised properly in his day, was not motivated by filthy lucer, and was crazy like a fox. It would be fascinating to hear his take on modern technology.

Jesus.

I was thinking exactly the same thing.

This makes me recall one of my favorite old Martin Mull song-bits. My answer is that I'd rather have a beer with God!

1_on%20location_%20martin%20mull-2010-05-26-0.jpg

Martin Mull - I Don't Want To Be Jesus

I don't want to be Jesus, I'm allergic to the cross

and I don't want to be Moses, and be concerned with what things cost

I don't want to be Buddha, and have to sit with my legs crossed

I want to be God.

That's what I want to be

Make me the Lord 'cause I'm so bored with mere mortality

It's not enough for me

I want to make it thunder, I want to shake my lightning rod

Ooh, how I want to be God... how I want to be God

I don't want to be Carson or Dinah, Mike, or Merv

or Ilie Nastase, I wasn't put on Earth to serve

I don't want to be pushy, but I want what I deserve

I want to be God

Oh, my God that's what I want to be

Make me the Lord 'cause I'm so bored with mere mortality

It's not enough for me

I want to make it thunder I want to shake my lightning rod

Yes - ooh, how I want to be God

I don't want to be Jesus

How I want to be good

Good God

In addition to my mom and dad I'd choose Richard Feynman, Lewis and Clark, and Leonardo daVinci.

I was trying to figure out if there was a theme that ties them, and I think they all have an abundant curiosity and the abilities and desire to chase it.

I've got a few, in no particular order:

Ayn Rand (one of the best authors ever)

Larry David (with whom I would discuss Jesus)

Sitting Bull (I'd need a translator, but that is a man with a story to tell)

John Bonham & Nicko McBrain (my two favorite British drummers)

Newt Gingrich (circa 1994 - the new 2.0 version isn't for me)

-MKL

My dad, who spent most of my life in VA Hospitals. He died when I was 7.

Theodore Roosevelt - the man had plenty of what more of our pols could use - Balls, vision and a plan to accomplish what he set out to do.

John Lennon, but leave Yoko home.

Sir Isaac Newton

Galileo but I wouldn't want to talk to him I would just like to hand him a modern telescope and some pics from Hubble and watch his expression.

As far as Jesus, I do not believe he had the impact he wanted to have so this might be a bit of a tragic conversation.

As far as Jesus, I do not believe he had the impact he wanted to have so this might be a bit of a tragic conversation.
There's no way to know but I think you're probably right and that is what would make it interesting.
Dave McReynolds
There's no way to know but I think you're probably right and that is what would make it interesting.

I can understand why you would say that, from a secular standpoint, since the impact of Christianity has been limited, and often considerably distorted from his original ideas. From a religious standpoint, of course, he had exactly the impact he wanted to have. All depends on your point of view (I'm not a Christian, but I think I can understand both points of view).

Ayn Rand (one of the best worst authors ever)

Fixed it for you :wave:

C'mon Bob, agree with her or not, she is one of the best writers of the 20th Century, and in a language that was not even her native tongue. Her ideas and her writing are two separate things.

-MKL

J.R.R. Tolkien

C.S. Lewis

Oscar Wilde

I'm always kind of afraid to meet the authors of works I enjoy - they often turn out to be prickly individuals and the distaste I feel after meeting them colors my ability to enjoy their works.

I guess in the end I'd prefer to have a beer with my friends, and a glass of scotch with a good book and some tunes on the stereo.

yOU...mIKE O...you wild animal.!

;) .... Any time 'Bone

I find these responses fascinating. Some I had on my list (John Lennon) others I'd not heard of before (Ernest Shackleton - just downloaded that to my Kindle)....

Mike O

Archived