IGNORED

Gel pads to banish the numb butt syndrome

Fubar

Has anyone tried using an add-on gel pad for increased comfort and or distance?

I upgraded to a Sargeant seat last summer but only get about an hour more out of it than stock before the soreness starts. So I am contemplating a gel pad (Skwoosh mid size ICS gel pad specifically) to use on some planned long-distance rides.

I don't want to get into the Russell/Mayer/Sargeant debate, just input on pads, yea or nay, which one you used, where you got it, how much, et cetera. Thanks all.

Some say gel-pads are NOT the way to go.. how about an Air-HawK?

P.S. Where ii Sarasota are you? I have a place in Stonybrook CC off Central Sarasota. Just there about three weeks ago.. also visited the BMW, Honda, Hysoung, Triumph dealer while there.

I use a gel pad from my local REI that was for kayak seat padding. Seems to help. When I bought it, I was looking for a thermorest stadium seat. The Air Hawk seems overly expensive for a small bag of air; especially when I'm supplying the air myself.

---

Fubar-

For many people, this pain you feel is actually caused by heat. Products such as the "Beadrider" http://www.beadrider.com/ allevaite the pain by raising your butt off the seat, thus allowing airflow underneath. Viola! For me, that means 20 hours on the stock seat with no issues whatsoever. Worked like a charm for me, and apparently for every New York cabbie as well. I actually had a $600 seat on order when I tried the beads for a test - never took the seat. The $30 for the beads was all it took to cure the issue. :grin:

-MKL

To add to Moshe's post.. that is why I made the statement that many say Gel-Pads are NOT the way to go.. they do hold in the heat.. I had a combo gel-pad, memory foam, then smoothing foam in a custom seat on my last cruiser and it was better than the stock seat.. but wasn't the answer.. and in the summer, the heat from the sun was really "retained" in the seat due to the gel-pad.

Not sure about the beads.. I've heard mixed reviews about them too... I have tried Alaska Sheepskin seat covers and ... eh... so-so.

I think it comes down to "everybody is different" and you've got to try a bunch of different things out to find whats best for you. i.e. I have no meat on my azz and sit right on my ischium.. I need padding, heat isn't my issue. I also use LD riding under-gear on long rides.

Not sure about the beads.. I've heard mixed reviews about them too... I have tried Alaska Sheepskin seat covers and ... eh... so-so.

I think it comes down to "everybody is different" and you've got to try a bunch of different things out to find whats best for you. i.e. I have no meat on my azz and sit right on my ischium.. I need padding, heat isn't my issue. I also use LD riding under-gear on long rides.

I agree completely. On the seat issue, YMMV is completely true. I tried the beads and thought they were WORSE than any seat I've had. Yet I know others that swear by them.

I did try memory foam underneath the Alaska sheep skin pad. That actually helped quite a bit. But ultimately, moving to a Corbin seat was the trick for me. I still get sore after a 3-4 days of all day on the bike, but it's manageable.

Unfortunately, what is good for one person isn't for another, which means you have to spend some money and experiment....

I had fitted sheepskin on stock seats and loved it but, the sliding forward thing, even with seat jacks used to wear me out and I got butt burn after about 4 hours. I changed to a Corbin and the sliding forward stopped and so did the butt burn until about 6 hours. I added LD Comfort after seeing the recommendations here and have no butt burn at all.

I've seen sufficient posts here to know that my combination may not work for you. Corbins are considered too hard by many. Whatever, that combo works for me. I've done an 11 hour day with stops only for fuel and still arrived in good condition.

I hope you find *your* solution.

Linz :)

Well, I did the threatened research on the Air-Hawk. Ouch! Nearly $200, triple the cost of the gel pad I am looking at though it did compare well.

As for the bead thing: I tried those once years ago when I was driving trucks. OMG was that torture. And quite warm, too, if memory serves.

Tried sheepskin on my old bike. Cooler than black but really soaks up the rain and didn't provide any real padding. Seat heat has never been an issue for me even here in the Sunshine state in the summer as long as I don't park it in the sun all day.

The Sargeant is a bit harder than I thought it would be but is fine for most of the in-town and 2 hour trips I get to take. Certainly better than the stock rock.

The pad is for use on the UnRally trip (I hope) and maybe a 2500 miler to Chicago and back this spring. As things stand, it'll be a very long trip. Anything would improve it.

I appreciate all the input.

Agree $200 is a bit high.

Craigslist is your friend, try to find used.

I got mine for $80 from a guy that was de-farklin his bike prior to selling it.

Well, I tried an Airhawk, borrowed it. Bought the Alaska sheepskin as well. Both were just delaying the numb butt for me. I guess everyone's experience is different. And I know you don't want to get into saddles, but for me the Russell was the answer. It is a solution, not a bandaid.

Good luck with the numb butt relief search.

A freinf of mine, and three-times winner of the Brit-Butt rally, has both an Airhawk and a Puttnams Stadium Seat - which costs about 1/10th of the cost of an Airhawk. He prefers the Puttnams Stadium Seat.

Andy

I had my LT seat redone by one of the big names in saddles.

Very good but not quite.....

I added gel covered with sheepskin....Perfect !!!!!!

+/- 55,000 miles now.

As you can tell, there are all kinds of butts on this board. ;)

Here's my take ... 2 issues to resolve, pressure and heat.

PRESSURE - You will be surprised by the difference a slight adjustment will make ... try shims to slightly raise the front of the seat ... I carry an old screwdriver shaft with me. If I start to feel uncomfortable, I pop the seat off and lay the shaft across the bracket that supports the front of the seat. This slight change is very noticable ... try it.

HEAT - I am a convert to the Beadrider for all warm weather rides. I am always on the lookout for one of those old fashioned spring seat cushions favored by cabbies and truckers. Get air circulating to keep you cooler and you'll be much more comfortable

Stock Seats - Junk

Gel pads - heat retainers - make the seat worse in warm weather

Airhawk - don't like the floaty feel and they also hold heat

Russell - terrific but tall. I liked it a lot, my wife didn't - sold it to a friend

Sheepskin - tried it ... not much improvement

Sargent+Adjustment+BeadRider works for me

DH

Sargent

Sargent - 70K miles on them, 1000 mile days

I tried an Air Hawk and never could get quite comfy. It crowded "the boys". Maybe just my adjustment. Many swear by them. It literally was ridden on 2-3 times. Basically new. $100 plus shipping.

4789184358 or PM.

• 1 month later...

Well I may have figured out some of the problem. Its me.

Took a 3 1/2 hr trip in my wifes car and was running into the same issues I have on the bike after 2-3 hrs. Same pains in the same places. Appears my sitter is broken or, at least not up to the standards it was years ago. :cry:

One thing I want to do that is related: lower the pegs. Spread some of the weight forward on my upper thigh and ease some of the load off my right knee.

Appreciate everyone's input.

Nice n Easy Rider

Fubar,

I presume that you've already tried it but, just in case, if you are used to keeping your wallet in your back pocket - put it elsewhere. Men's wallets in their back pockets are a well-known source of back/butt pain and sciatica. :)

I think I've tried just about every thing available. I went as far as buying a new seat (touratech big $). The most comfort gain has been putting 1" thick med density memory foam inside the airhawk cover. Got the foam online for $20 and you can buy the airhawk cover only for about $25 (I got mine when ordering cushion). The final touch needed was to shape oem seat a bit flatter. I removed the "hump" in the centre, which caused a "medical issue" after a 2500 mile trip in less than 3 days. LOL.

I've also did same for passenger seat and my wife is much happier. Which most know makes life much easier!

Hope this helped.

Mike

Fubar,

I presume that you've already tried it but, just in case, if you are used to keeping your wallet in your back pocket - put it elsewhere. Men's wallets in their back pockets are a well-known source of back/butt pain and sciatica. :)

Oh, don't I know it! Made that switch 2 decades ago when driving trucks. Love me some cargo pockets. :grin:

The one kind of weirdness not already mentioned was that when I sent the Sargeant back for the dish fill-in the back edge now drops off some. Only noticed on hard starts but I think I subconciously sit a tick forward because of it. I think the gel pad, which seems the way I'll go, will help as I can add a strip at the back to correct that.

The big test will come in June as I'm planning a near 3K miler to Chicago and back over 10 days with several 5-600 mile days planned. I'll have a duffel on the rack & rear seat which should help my posture some as well as provide a backrest.

(Just to point out, I've been sitting at the 'puter now for 3 1/2 hours and my tuchas is getting a bit tender. :eek: Where did the padding go? It ain't cuz I lost weight.)

^I know where my butt padding went, it traveled around to my belly.. After Monday and Tuesday comes WTF? What's next? Losing my hair!? (oh yeah, forgot.. that's been happening since I was about 23.. Curses!)

Airhawk - don't like the floaty feel

It must have been overinflated. It's really amazing how little air they need to work properly.

Back to the original post.. FUBAR, did you ever try the SKWOOSH pad???

P.S. My wife and daughter are headed to Stonybrook CC in two weeks, I'll tell them to say hello! ;-)

Back to the original post.. FUBAR, did you ever try the SKWOOSH pad???

P.S. My wife and daughter are headed to Stonybrook CC in two weeks, I'll tell them to say hello! ;-)

Have not tried it yet. Haven't found one to try. Will likely drop the $$ and order it. (And the peg lowering and magnetic drain plug.) Spending money like I have a job or something. :eek:

As for the wife and daughter........(must repress evil thoughts and comments! :grin: ), they'll need the a/c, it's going to 88F today, probably 90+ by then. Hey, its summer in Florida! Soon the rainy/hurricane season will commence.

When I bought my RT thought it was the most uncomfortable seat ever. I changed to Russell and it helped...I bought a gel pad, soft, but still monkey butt on long rides.. I finally discovered this http://www.ldcomfort.com/ on this site. It made all the difference in the world. I can ride as long as I want in comfort. I have done as much as 5000 miles in 6 days wearing them. Never leave home without them...while riding.

No affiliation etc...

Well, got the SKWOOSH mid size ICS gelpad and rode 160 miles yesterday... NOT FOR ME. YMMV. (and I was wearing my LD confort shorts, btw)

So.. if anyone is looking for a mid SKWOOSH gel pad, used ONE RIDE only! (Think I even still have all the original packing) I'll sell it for $50.00 bux plus 5.00 shipping in CONUS! Cost me $70.00.

No takers off this post, I'll post it in: For Sale

I got mine yesterday. Will try it out on a 250 mile (1 way) ride this weekend. I might need the larger one for this seat. Really hoping this is the fix I need cuz that 1500 miler in June is rapidly approaching.

The return policy looks really good with Skwoosh. I

f you do still have the packaging the info is in there. If not, check the website.

I bought mine from a dealer off of eBay and saved a few bucks on shipping and now I think that was a big mistake because of the refund policy. (They will take returns also, but restocking fee, etc..) I found all the packaging, etc.. and see the return card, etc.

My butt is still hurting from that last ride with this pad.. I hope you have better luck... Didn't feel like gel at all, just HARD.

Well, I did 3 1/2 hours Friday and 4 on Saturday. Stopped for fuel on both days.

I see an improvement but still feel the need to move around after a couple of hours. Some heat buildup that wasn't present previously, easily rectified. The gel is fairly firm, reminds me of an Mercedes bench seat I had the "pleasure" of sitting on in the 80's. The reviews I've read indicated that all day is very doable, I suspect getting used to the difference will take a few rides. Will use this daily in prep for the big trip in June.

That said, I have no pain or discomfort at all. The gas stops were long enough to loosen up with no reluctance to get right back on or need to lengthen the stops.

Additionally, I think I need to get a bigger pad for this seat, the bike's, not mine.

Glad it helped! Very surprisingly I contacted the eBAy vendor and they said send it back and I got a FULL refund. I just got a Corbin Leather seat and rode over 200 yesterday (many hours, as it was a back-roads ride, averaged 40 miles per hour... according to BC. That Corbin seat is also very hard but better than the stock seat, for sure. I may have it modified with perhaps a bit of memory foam to soften it.. just a bit. We'll see.

Glad to hear you found a fix, at least partially. I'm in similar straights as I have the Sargeant but need more still.

• 1 month later...

Well, I've had the larger "Universal" Skwoosh pad on for a couple of weeks now. It is better than the smaller one. The cushioned area fits my pelvis - and the Sargeant - better than the smaller one did.

The return was easy. Emailed them, got a quick reply with RMA# and sent it off. They charged my credit card for the difference and there was no charge for shipping this time around, so just $15.

I have not done any great distances but have done a good amount of seat time with none of the concerns the smaller pad gave me. I don't anticipate any problems on my upcoming 600-mile-long days. I just hope it cools down up there so I don't feel like I'm at home during a heat wave. Plus, I don't want to be carrying beer in 100 degree days.

Archived