IGNORED

I may be new here, but I know.........

Rockrib

The ONLY Proper oil for a BmW is Mobil 1 synthetic 20/50. Given. And the ONLY right tires are Michelin Pilot Sport PS2's. Also given. So what's the right battery? I ride 9 or 10 months a year. On a 97 R1100RT. In New Hampshire (does that matter?). I have a tender, but I'd rather not use it. There's an Interstate battery shop just down the road, if that helps. I'm just looking for the best bang for my buck. Flame away...

And thanks for your help.

I'm going to assume a good bit of your post is sarcasm, but maybe that's just because I'm pretty sarcastic myself.

Unsarcastically speaking, I am really happy with with my new-ish PC680 (Odyssey) - I probably would have had to work hard to spend more on a battery, but I figure if it lasts 8-10 years, then it's a pretty small expense relative to tires, oil and all the other things I'll spend money on in that time (incidentally, relative to your post, and for fiscal comparison, I run cheaper oil but more expensive tires).

The ONLY .....

Is it April the 1st already????

Hi Rockrib, couldn't tell from your post whether you were joking or serious about your first two items (oil & tyres)? Were you?

So what's the right battery? I ride 9 or 10 months a year. On a 97 R1100RT. I have a tender, but I'd rather not use it.

Here's a source for a sealed no-maintenance AGM battery

http://www.staabbattery.com/product/sla-12/UB12220-V.html

about $45, maybe $55 delivered.

If you ride regularly, you shouldn't need the tender during season - once winter sets in, I would use the tender every week or two to keep the battery fully charged.

I have this battery in my R1100RT, here's a pic with the jump start add-on from the 1150RT.

5465.thumb.jpg.18fbab06fd91157b66ce2d2d8e441ce3.jpg

And the ONLY right tires are Michelin Pilot Sport PS2's.

Hmm.... and here I was looking at buying a set of Road Pilot 2 (or 3) tires.

I guess the Pilot Sport 2s would give you a bigger contact patch on the RT? But I think cornering might suffer just a little :rofl:

pilot-sport-ps2.jpg

just a thought , I went from the bmw battery to a odyssey. I had to reconfigure the way the pos/neg terminals bolt on. as in the pic shown earlier it seems to be a standard install..the odyssey I have is bolted vertically into the battery.

Not major reconstruction, but be-aware.

just sayin

I'm curious what the "proper" color is, too? ;-)

Beemers are 'sposed to be black, just like Model T's.......Just ask any old guy.

Just for the common folks. Real class was Dover White!

Beemers are 'sposed to be black, just like Model T's.......Just ask any old guy.

I believe I read somewhere that Black was the faster color anyways...

I believe I read somewhere that Black was the faster color anyways...

I heard that, too! ;-)

Yes black like a Model A and they have to be painted with a paint brush like the model A and color sanded smooth to get out the brush strokes....yikes

Im a fan of orange....

Yes black like a Model A and they have to be painted with a paint brush like the model A and color sanded smooth to get out the brush strokes....yikes

Im a fan of orange....

That would be KTM Orange??? I used to race enduros'.. my favorite bike I raced: a 97' KTM EXC in ECEA... like riding a bucking bronco.. hold on for dear life.

I have always loved orange...my first yamaha was a reddish orange, my first triumph was an orange tiger cub, my 3rd bike was a white yamaha with an orange strip on it, I have had 3 orange and black Harleys and multiple KTMs and I loved them all.

I had a orange boat, orange Vans tennis shoes, orange cell phone, orange '69 camaro Z28, and anytime I have the choice to buy something in a color choice, if orange is an option, it is ALWAYS orange...I love it.

I actually want to do something orange on my BMW

Orange you glad you bought a BMW? There, you did something orange on your BMW.

Sorry... I apologize in advance ;-)

Edit, BTW.. the EXC was a 300 2-stroke. (with FMF pipe, carbon-fiber "silencer" and carbon-fiber race reeds..and race gas. Yes, it was fast)

There are orangy sunburst paintjobs on some airhead RTs. There is also the Rockster that was pretty much orange (although one guy I know who owns one insists that the color is "copper").

There are orangy sunburst paintjobs on some airhead RTs. There is also the Rockster that was pretty much orange (although one guy I know who owns one insists that the color is "copper").

If you see a orangy airhead R100RT, it is because it was red and faded over the years... :grin:

One thing I love about this place is that the hijacks are more interesting than the original thread.

And who came up with the name 'Sinus Blue'?

See, I thought I remembered an orange starburst. :)

Orange Starbursts - in the UK they used to be chewy sweets called Opal Fruits (made to make your mouth water).

Proper orange (Daytona) BMW.

2700520679_430f1b47df_b.jpg

One of the all time greates motos.

I love that bike. It's shocking that the same company that designed this bike also designed my R1200RT. The new RT's just don't stir the soul.

I love that bike. It's shocking that the same company that designed this bike also designed my R1200RT. The new RT's just don't stir the soul.

Yep, how did they go from being SO organic in design style to an overnight direction of 'Buck Rodgers' sci-fi pointy styling?

I hope they get over it soon.

My dear friend , as far as the Odyssey battery PC680 is concerned i am afraid that things will not turn out so good in the long term.I have been riding my 97RT every day 365days per year and during winter time i plug it in the original tender but still i get the ABS fault reading on cold mornings (3-9 Celcius)....The cause as a dear friend explained to me is the way that this battery is made which fails to work well when temperature is low....

Archived