IGNORED

New Zealand

Les is more

We have/have had several New Zealanders registered on the site. Many are no longer active here but I just want to say that I'm thinking of you all right now.

Artig, I know that you're a North Island resident but my heart goes out to you and your countrymen.

Pretty nasty event.

Son and daughter-in-law are in Auckland.

We are planning a trip in 4 weeks to NZ and were looking forward to visiting Christchurch.

Probably going to pass on it now.

It is a volcanic and highly active geologic couple of islands. That's what makes it such a marvel.

Even still it is unfortunate to have such a calamity just one year and 100's of aftershocks after the last big quake.

We have/have had several New Zealanders registered on the site. Many are no longer active here but I just want to say that I'm thinking of you all right now.

Artig, I know that you're a North Island resident but my heart goes out to you and your countrymen.

+1

+2

Thinking of ya'll and hoping all are well. I can't imagine going through that experience.

In response to:

Poster: Les is more

Subject: Re: New Zealand

+3

Thanks for your thoughts, everyone. My wife and I are far enough away to be unaffected physically, but it is not easy watching the TV coverage and listening to the radio. We don't have friends or family living there, but my sister-in-law does. Fortunately they all seem to have escaped with no personal injuries.

The last major quake was less than 6 months ago, but this one was shallower, closer to the city, and caused much more damage to buildings and infrastructure.

We had actually planned to be down that way this week, but departure was delayed. Now the plan is to spend 2 weeks on the South Island starting next week, but we'll probably bypass Christchurch to avoid adding to the confusion. Also, accommodation will probably be in short supply.

I must also add that I really admire and appreciate the skills and dedication of those who risk their own lives and limbs assisting with the rescue and recovery efforts. Added kudos to those who are doing so on a purely voluntary basis.

Thanks also to those countries, companies, and individuals who are offering and providing assistance and support in many different ways.

Les,

My In-laws live in Christchurch. All are okay, but my brother-in-law lost his house. Damaged in the last quake, and this one seems to have done it in.

Steve

Oh my gosh! I knew that NZ was their home, didn't know they were in Christchurch. Sorry about your brother-in-law's house but thank heaven they weren't hurt!! Hugs to your wife.

Although based in Hobart for 10 years now, my wife and i are Kiwis (my daughter was born here so she's an Aussie) and all our family are in NZ. Most in the North Island with the exception of a neice and her husband plus young daughter. They are based in Lyttleton and their house was destroyed in the last quake. Thankfully all are ok and they have moved into the Inlaws.

Our thoughts go to all those affected :cry: and praise to all rescue teams etc.

Will definately be donating to the cause.

Cheers

Steve

Archived