IGNORED

North in June

Krakken

I'm leaving on June 15th to head north for a month on the GS.

First stop will be the Chief Joseph Rally in John Day, OR. on June 17-18. Then it's north to Dawson City, Yukon for the Dust to Dawson Adventure get-together the following Thursday.

After that it's an up&back trip to Inuvik, Northwest Territory then ride the Top of the World highway over to Deadhorse, AK. After eating dust on the Haul Road, I'll scoot through Anchorage enroute to Homer and the Kenai peninsula.

A 6 hour ferry from Whittier to Valdez will begin the loop back south. If all goes well, I'll be back in SoCal by mid-July.

No radar detector on the GS, so speeds will be reasonable, plus I'll be taking a few pics along the way. I have a couple of motel reservations (Dawson City and Skagway) but I'll be camping for most of the trip.

Dwight

Sounds like a great trip. Can't wait for the pics.

Probably don't have to say this but if you come to a campground with no one else and there's claw marks on the trees, spring for a motel room down the road especially on the Kenai.

You'll need reservations in Coldfoot (Haul road) and Deadhorse. Might be able to camp in Coldfoot but probably not in Deadhorse. Don't count on eadting "dust" on the Haul road. You'll be lucky if you do. More than likely it will be mud. Once you cross over Anigan Pass (sp), it is mostly paved and gravel. A GS gas tank is marginal for the Coldfoot to Deadhorse leg. I'd plan on carrying an additional gallon of fuel.

Sounds like a great ride. I was thinking of going to the BC Big Trail Ride in Canada. It is the same weekend as the CJR in John Day. Depending on how much vacation money I have, I just check out the Oregon Rally instead.

You'll need reservations in Coldfoot (Haul road) and Deadhorse. Might be able to camp in Coldfoot but probably not in Deadhorse. Don't count on eadting "dust" on the Haul road. You'll be lucky if you do. More than likely it will be mud. Once you cross over Anigan Pass (sp), it is mostly paved and gravel. A GS gas tank is marginal for the Coldfoot to Deadhorse leg. I'd plan on carrying an additional gallon of fuel.

Good points! A small room in Coldfoot can be had for the low, low price of $219 per night :P Haven't checked on Deadhorse yet...

I'll be carrying an additional two gallons of gas with my peg-packers. I almost ran out of gas once when out in the boonies, and I don't intend to let that happen again! Thanks for the heads-up.

This sounds like a great trip. I think a better alternative to lodging on the Haul Road is in Wiseman, a few miles up the road from Coldfoot.

http://www.boreallodge.com/

No food available but you can stop for food and gas in Coldfoot and stay in Wiseman lot less money. Friendly folks and very remote. As John said, you'll be lucky if the road is dusty.

This sounds like a great trip. I think a better alternative to lodging on the Haul Road is in Wiseman, a few miles up the road from Coldfoot.

http://www.boreallodge.com/

No food available but you can stop for food and gas in Coldfoot and stay in Wiseman lot less money. Friendly folks and very remote. As John said, you'll be lucky if the road is dusty.

Despite no food on sight, $70 vice $219 per night is a no-brainer. Thanks for the tip, Jim

Wow, $249 is way higher than I paid. I think I paid $100 two years ago in Coldfoot but Jim's right. Wiseman is a great alternative as long as you go ahead and gas up and eat in Coldfoot. By the way, I did see a few folks camped out in tents on the edge of the parking lot in coldfoot so that might be an option.

Archived