IGNORED

Plan on tent camping next week in southern Arizona/New Mexico

BMWRich58

Hopefully by next week,I'll be in the southern regions of New Mexico and Arizona riding around on the GS. I plan or would like to tent camp providing it's not gonna be too cold. I do know Deserts can get cold at night even during warmer times of the year.

I'd appreiciate it if those who live in those areas can give me a good idea of what to expect for "night time" temps.

If staying indoors at night is the smarter thing to do (I've never been accused of being smart),then maybe I'll just leave the camping gear at home. Thanks much!

Much depends on what you think is too cold. As well, the weather... we got caught twice this winter in AZ during atypical cold wet snowy spells. Key however is elevation.

My suggestion is to check the weather reports for several of the places you are considering camping, or reasonably nearby points at similar elevations.

Elevation is the key. Check Accuweather, they are usually fairly accurate.

Phoenix has been relatively cool in the evenings, temperatures have been dipping to 40 or slightly lower. If you have a good 3 season tent, a sleeping bag that is rated to +20 and sleeping pad you should be fine.

I've tent camped about 50 miles north of Phoenix for the last three years during early March. Temps and weather varied, but my three season tent, 20 deg sleeping bag and thermarest were fine. Last year I picked up an additional egg crate type foam sleeping pad at Wallyworld, more for the extra cushioning. However, 30 miles north and a few hundred feet higher elevation, it was definitely colder.

... If staying indoors at night is the smarter thing to do (I've never been accused of being smart),then maybe I'll just leave the camping gear at home.

It would be the smarter thing to do unless you're comfy waking up with temps in the high 30's to low 40's. :Cool:

Yup...thanks to all replys.

My original $$ plan was to stay in doors. But because I don't live there,it's best to confer with the Natives..

Archived