IGNORED

Favorite cures for cabin fever

Peter Parts

Aside from trailering a bike to warm places or drinking to excess, what do riders do to address the miseries of winter?

Since I got Gerbing's stuff, winter isn't nearly as fierce for riding, providing the roads are OK. And I can dig a path from my bike garage to the street.

I usually save up some big piece of maintenance or modification for the winter.

I thought my winter cabin fever was bad in Ontario - till I spent a bikeless month in West Palm Beach, Florida. And what's TERRIBLE, there are two Oilheads parked in our condo garage!!!!!!

Ben

at least I can go swimming every day

As much maintenance as I can squeeze in. Sent both shocks out to get refreshed, new alternator belt, installed a "fuzeblock" ( http://www.fuzeblocks.com/index.php ) to clean up my electrics, other stuff. Do a occasional ride when the roads are rideable. Watching the weather report to see when is the next OK day.

I don't have a winter per say here in so cal. But I am getting cabin fever from riding the couch over this injury and surgery.

I can hardly even see a computer screen with this C-spine collar on.

Can't even really Drink with the itchy meds Im on.

I have a Berhard Bern custom chip to install. One thing I hate about winter mods is that you can't road test till you can go riding. Or any kind of change like new tires (I have a set of BT023s ready to go on the rims).

I'm pretty skeptical about subjective judgments about performance mods unless you can do the "experiment" properly (such as by A-B'ing a mod or A-B-B-A.... with that chip, you can switch back and forth to a map like stock and a few other maps).

Ben

I have been spending a lot of time here, but I just picked up "More Proficient Motorcycling" tonight to read through the latest 4-8" of snow we are being granted...

You live in Canada and don't have one of these.. :eek:

I'm pretty sure they even have a snow train out of Toronto on weekends to some of the best riding areas.

1170101813_xW64Q-L.jpg

I enjoy searching for stuff to buy for myself or the bike. Bought a Sena SMH 10 Headset, installed it and walked around the fricken house listening to tunes on my iphone. Works great, can't wait to try it on the bike.

Now I'm hunting for a new pair of boots, a Gerbing Liner and a Cee Bailey windshield.

I really enjoy the ride tales with pics!!

Winter time is planning time, when not skiing or being the homework overlord of my kids. My wife plans house projects, I keep a cache of maps and a well worn road atlas in my night stand. She dreams of new bathroom tile, I of new roads and old friends. I was born with a case of wander lust that thankfully my wife understands.

In response to:

Poster: big-t

Subject: Re: Favorite cures for cabin fever

You live in Canada and don't have one of these.. eek

I'm pretty sure they even have a snow train out of Toronto on weekends to some of the best riding areas.

Nice sleds!!

I don't have a winter per say here in so cal. But I am getting cabin fever from riding the couch over this injury and surgery.

I can hardly even see a computer screen with this C-spine collar on.

Can't even really Drink with the itchy meds Im on.

I feel for you. The worst cabin fever I ever had was about 3 years ago when at work while pushing a K1300S it fell over, knocked me over and broke my "tibial plateau", that's part tibia-part knee. No surgery, no pain, but for 8 weeks I was not permitted to put ANY weight on that leg. Confined to two rooms in the house, up or down was stairs that I couldn't do. I feel for you that you had major surgery, probably pain, and more restricting stuff. It will go away and you'll try to forget about it. Best wishes for a fast and complete recovery!

Cabin fever? What's that?

The only reason I started motorcycling was for an alternative to driving the car to work all winter - when I get sick of commuting on the bicycle in the rain. I had no idea it would mushroom into its own pasttime...

Aside from that: ski ski ski ski ski.

1170101813_xW64Q-L.jpg

We need a thread comparing the experience riding a snowmobile with a bike. Kind of fun, even for beginners, even if you aren't filled with "anti-freeze" like everybody else before heading out.

But nothing like the sense of body involvement I like with a sport/touring bike.

At the risk of sounding like what your neighbors say about your own biking, snowmobiles have too much power and too little control, at least for new riders.

Ben

gonna be 81F today.... wish we had our machine here.

We need a thread comparing the experience riding a snowmobile with a bike

But nothing like the sense of body involvement I like with a sport/touring bike.

After many miles on both I find the snowmobile and bike very similar.Just being outdoors on either is just awesome.The same basic controls include set of handlebars,seat and throttle.Snowmobile control is much like the bike.You are constantly using pressure on the bars in conjunction with the throttle to maintain your direction as the pitch of the road/trail varies.I'm constantly moving my body about to mantain balance and often hanging off the side in corners just like we learn at Ridesmart. :grin:

Some folks shudder at the thoughts of riding at zero degreees,but with just my snownobile jacket and pants I'm usually warmer on the snowmobile because I'm moving around a lot more on the sled.

I really love both sports and it would be a hard choice to give up one or the other if the seasons were equal.

Kind of fun, even for beginners, even if you aren't filled with "anti-freeze" like everybody else before heading out.

Thats like judging all motorcycle riders by the ones parked at the bar.

snowmobiles have too much power and too little control, at least for new riders.

Much like the Haybusas and Gixers right :thumbsup:

I you have an opportunity try it,you might just like it.

1166012533_BVMS5-L.jpg

malcolmblalock

One of the most fun trips I've ever had (maybe the most fun) was going to West Yellowstone in January '10 and spending 3 days on a snowmobile. It's a blast!

It was one of my "Bucket List" items; a buddy and I had fun getting lost, getting stuck, getting unstuck, riding wide-open. Even though we had the slow, beginner machines, but they were fast enough for us old guys!

I'd do it again in a heartbeat!

Yup, fun. I had a hoot the few times out - look for Cochrane, Ontario, on your map: they have many miles of groomed trails. After a few days in Cochrane, a few winters ago, the kiddies and me (and a buddy from Miami whose kids had never seen snow before) took the Polar Bear Express train to Moosonee (nice Ontario place name) and just across the frozen finger of Hudson Bay on an ice highway from Moose Factory*.

About alcoholic riders - guess things are a whole lot more sober for snowmobilers in Virginia.

Ben

still dripping wet from a swim in the pool

*I was hired to do some Can. Coast Guard survival research once that involved camping in a life-raft on Resolute Bay, a stones throw from the Arctic Circle**. It was February. It was chilly. You can bet it didn't rain even once.

** OK, just 750 miles north of the Arctic Circle.

About alcoholic riders - guess things are a whole lot more sober for snowmobilers in Virginia.

Not many of us down here,I ride in Michigan,Wisconsin,New York,Pa and Canada.

Its all about making smart choices.I would no more ride Tug Hill Ny on my sled on a weekend as I would ride the bike on the Dragon on a busy weekend.

What is cabin fever?

I just go out and do what`s available. My favorite is snowmobiling. Fortunately, my part of the world is one of the greatest areas to doo it (no, it is not an accidental misspelling, it is how we doo it on my other favorite discussion board: Dootalk.com).

big-t, if you ever decide to ride the excellent northern NB trails and need a riding partner, look me up; I`m `Rodski` on Dootalk.

NB snowmobiling has to be awesome.Thanks for the offer.

Probably won't happen this season,but am considering a dualsport ride in your area in Sept.Maybe we can hook up then.

I got the sled bug way worse than the bike bug. I started snowmobiling 10 years ago and have ended up with 5 of them,

(there is only 2 of us)Now we own a cabin not too far North from Crater lake (Cresent lake area) It is more fun than you should have with your pants on! I took a 4 day weekend last w/e on the sleds. fun! going again friday night with a new storm passing through today and tomorrow. We should have 3 ft. of fresh up high

The wifey rides both bikes and sleds she has a Harley FXR2.

I started the (new to me) RT in the garage the other night and her comment her lawnmower is louder than that.

I ride whatever I can whenever I can.I got 60 miles on the bike last night.

No Cabin fever here either.

Cabin fever?

1197239186_yu9Fp-L.jpg

Let's see. I start the day watching the sunrise while I walk my dog over the golf course. Then I may ride my GS..or play golf..or go to the outdoor shooting range..or..

Today it's golf..80 degrees predicted. I consider the rest of the country "out of order" until May. :wave:

n response to:

Poster: RichEdwards

Subject: Re: Favorite cures for cabin fever

Cabin fever?

Let's see. I start the day watching the sunrise while I walk my dog over the golf course. Then I may ride my GS..or play golf..or go to the outdoor shooting range..or..

Today it's golf..80 degrees predicted. I consider the rest of the country "out of order" until May. wave

Is that frost I see on the golf course??

Temperature has been in the 80sF and sunny in southern Florida. 90% of bikes are Harleys or clones and a large portion have unmufflers. Maybe 5% of riders use DOT helmets. That fact can speak for itself.

I guess the oddest thing, to me, is how few bikes are around here. I'm sure I see more on the roads in Ontario. But given the weather, would have expected lots more here. Dunno registration rates as compared to usage rates - ownership might be higher here.

One thing absolutely certain: the bikes scene here is dull. I don't believe I've seen three bikes I wanted to have a second look at all month. In Toronto, usually see something on the street that turns my head each time out. Maybe just me.

A lot more interesting cars on a Friday night in West Palm Beach. No kidding.

Of course, I don't think I've seen any piece of road that would be worth detouring to ride on, at least within 50 miles of here. Endless flat suburban development plus some scenic but crowded roads near the ocean. Yuck. Ontario has a lot of flat and square roads but also plenty of fun and scenic roads. And not overloaded with car traffic in all directions.

I hope these observations are accurate although just first impressions. I'm sure serious local bikers know how to get joy riding their machines here.

Ben

That is Florida, no doubt.

You can rent a bike, if yours is not with you, and ride out on the Keys, to Key West. That is a nice ride, but only 160 miles, and only fun if you like riding endless bridges.

But I do think it is worth the trip.

Otherwise, ride inland. The crowds are all along the waterfronts. Of course, there is only flat land, inland.

The whole state is less than 360 feet of elevation.

But at least you get out of the long traffic lines along the waters edge.

dc

Thank you for suggestions. Next winters... from Delray Beach (Linton corner Jog).

I hope no one takes my reservations about specific aspects of local biking as any kind of general diss'ing of Florida or serious bikers here.

Three days left in the tropics then I'll be shoveling my bike out back home. Every few years I miss taking the bike out for some riding in every winter month.

Ben

There are places in Florida that have interesting roads.

You just aren't there.

:/

Yesterday I probably saw 50-60 different types of mc's.

Only 370 feet of elevation is one way to look at it.

But, it is 370 feet of elevation changes in our neck of the woods.

May not sound like much but there are areas, large ones, that are at higher elevation but don't have that much change in elevation for many miles.

Within 200 miles we have over 800 feetof elevation change and within 300 miles 4,000 feet, or more, of elevation change.

Look at a topo map and you'll see that is way more than most of the midwest, New England, plains, etc.

Nothing like the western mountains of course, but the reality is I can experience more elevation change in a day ride than many parts of the eastern USA.

Best wishes.

There are places in Florida that have interesting roads.

You just aren't there.

:/

Yesterday I probably saw 50-60 different types of mc's.

Only 370 feet of elevation is one way to look at it.

But, it is 370 feet of elevation changes in our neck of the woods.

May not sound like much but there are areas, large ones, that are at higher elevation but don't have that much change in elevation for many miles.

Within 200 miles we have over 800 feetof elevation change and within 300 miles 4,000 feet, or more, of elevation change.

Look at a topo map and you'll see that is way more than most of the midwest, New England, plains, etc.

Nothing like the western mountains of course, but the reality is I can experience more elevation change in a day ride than many parts of the eastern USA.

Best wishes.

One of the best kept secrets in the midwest is Wisconsin. I rode up there last year and home based in the Prairie Du Chien area. I did something like 250-300 of riding in a day within a relatively small area. Some of the roads were like driveways.

But you really can't go "touring" on a snow mobile, can you? I've never ridden one (or needed to) so I might not know what I am talking about, but it seems like everything would be reduced to day rides.

Am I right?

Yes and no.

A warm spell can reanimate them.

But, for full disclosure, I admit the insects have their moments around here.

However, we certainly aren't unique.

I've been to places in Canada where the flies were so bad I looked for vampires as they would be an improvement.

Same is true for many parts of the country I've ridden.

We just include them FOC in the package deal.

:lurk:

But you really can't go "touring" on a snow mobile, can you? I've never ridden one (or needed to) so I might not know what I am talking about, but it seems like everything would be reduced to day rides.

Am I right?

Yes, touring can and does happen a lot. The trail systems in all areas are set up to connect with accomodations & eating establishments of all kinds. It is a huge industry.

Am I right?

Yes, touring can and does happen a lot. The trail systems in all areas are set up to connect with accomodations & eating establishments of all kinds. It is a huge industry.

Saturday my group rode 4 sleds into the gas station bought fuel

and "toured" to another lake 40+ miles away, Along the way We went over a pass and played in deep powder for a few hours. We went to the other lake Pulled up to the fuel pump filled up we went to the lodge ate lunch the rode the 40 miles back to the cabin. It was a great time, We met new people(he was stuck at the time so I had a captive audience)We photgraphed High Mtn Vistas and frozen over lakes. It was a day trip but we could have stayed the night and moved to another destination in the morning. They even make "touring" sleds with a dual seat and rear seat and hand warmers.Snowmobiling is a great winter sport.

Peter Parts
Here you go Ben. Have-at'er. http://www.wheels.ca/article/asset/794171 :wave:

Rocer -

With my skepticism about BMW's sanity, not likely I'd get the job.

We didn't make it to Lake Scugog (or even Lake Simcoe) for bike ice racing so far this year. Afraid I had to spend a month in West Palm Beach, Florida.

Is there ice racing on Head Lake in you bikerly wonderful town? The roads around Tory Hill are about on par with what I imagine the Tail of the Dragon... 50 years ago before traffic jams.

Ben

Archived