IGNORED

A pack of HD's 30-40 deep

GordonB

Couple years back I was headed east out of Asheville NC on I-40. It's actually a fun piece of interstate for 5-10 miles coming down the mountain there.. high speed sweepers all the way down, most of the traffic stays right, lots of fun on the bike. Near the bottom traffic backed up and fun was over.

As I began to pick my way through cars, soon discovered a couple dozen hogs - hogging up the left lane travelling about 55 mph. waited for a while until it was clear they had no intention of getting in the right lane, and began to pick my way through the pack. Passed in the right lane and just wedging into the pack as opportunity presented. Not cool I know but I had an 8 hour ride ahead and needed to be on my way. I didn't wave or make eye contact because I knew they were not going to be happy.

Finally managed to pass the lead rider, again pass on the right and cut back in front and just gassed it up to about 80 to be away from them. I checked my mirrors and could practically see the guys nose hairs he was so close. Literally his front axle was even with my rear axle. Don't know what he was up to but wanted to put some space between us. I was on a 650 vstrom so not a lot of exess power but used what I had up to > 100. He stayed with me for a bit but I guess lack of windshield and beanie helmet took it's toll and he backed off. Glad my tank was nearly full, didn't want to stop anytime soon.

I had a scary episode many years back in my pickup. I was merging on to I-50 in Sacramento. I noticed that a large group of motorcycles were approaching in the right lane. I slowed and waited until I saw a break in their midst and merged. I cut none of them off nor endangered anyone. It was a very large group and I figured I'd merge with them, quickly move to the center lane and be on my way. BIG MISTAKE. I apparently had committed a great offense and show of no respect. A big fat dirt bag with a beard on his HOG pulled up beside me, shaking his fist and shouting. At about 60mph he leans down and is reaching for something in a bag. I had no where to go in the traffic and my teenage son was with me. I shouted for Matt to duck down, and I made a great show to the biker that I would take him down with the pick up if he started firing a gun at us. I'm not sure I would have done it but the bluff worked and he decided it wasn't smart to start a fight with a pick up and pulled away.

I was on the other side of that last fall on the FL C2C ride. 8 bikes, 4 HD's, a Triumph, 2 V-Stroms and my BMW. We were over the posted by 10 but a K1200 really wanted by. He dove into the group after passing 5 of us, stayed there for a full minute then twisted it past the lead three. No signals in or out, not even a wave. I was both saddened and embarrassed. And glad we weren't riding tight.

Why not just move to the right and let him by?

Short answer: We didn't see him coming. We were working an area of twisty two lane and checking mirrors was not much of a priority. We accomodated his entry easily enough because we were riding so loosely, but at the speed we were going, 10 over the limit, it was quite unexpected. 200+ mile ride and only once were we caught. We did our passing at stop signs after talking to the other riders.

After that ride I decided not to follow the loud pipe brigade again. I never heard my bike once in that ride and the 4 HDs I was with were old-timers(sorry guys) with relatively quiet versions. I would not have ridden with them otherwise. Next time I ride farther forward, though.

skinny_tom (aka boney)
Instead of passing on my left in an empty passing lane, they went right though me in my lane, passing right and left as close to me as they could.

That's when you drop down a gear or two, rev the engine to the rev-limiter and dump the clutch hoisting the front wheel high into the sky. :thumbsup:

Agent_Orange

" I can hear my neighbor revving his 110" Screaming Turd outside."

Comes to mind something about not being able to polish the afore mentioned. :rofl: :rofl: :grin:

" I can hear my neighbor revving his 110" Screaming Turd outside."

Comes to mind something about not being able to polish the afore mentioned. :rofl: :rofl: :grin:

Mythbusters has proved you can Polish a Turd

They should breakup into groups of eight to twelve so as to allow safe passing.

Should doesn't mean they will unfortunately. If I have no real place to go and all the time in the world to get there, I just find a coffee shop or deli, have a sandwich and chill.

• 3 weeks later...

My little sv 650 s smoked a road king with the big boar kit (1800cc). I do not put too much faith in the HD motor except to make a lot of noise when needed.

My little sv 650 s smoked a road king with the big boar kit (1800cc). I do not put too much faith in the HD motor except to make a lot of noise when needed.

We all know the HD engine is the best way to convert gasoline to noise without making any horsepower!

And yes, I DO have friends with loud HD's, and still ride with them. But as stated, I usually lead, so I don't go deaf!

The big boar kit will make the hogs run too.

That reminds me, I have a slightly used pair of 88" cylinders for a twincam if anyone is interested in going back to stock. :-)

JOHNNYWISHBONE

people go to hell for lying same as stealing.

I really doubt that!!! Nice spelling.

ShovelStrokeEd

Remember, one of the essentials for a race is that both parties need to be aware that one is happening.

I really doubt that!!! Nice spelling.

Hey Dave. I just ate a wild bore sandwich. :dopeslap:

Urban Surfer

This is one of the more entertaining threads I have read hear.

I have had a few experiences with hogs on hogs in the past. There has been the rare occasion when one or two of them could keep up, but only until the hog or the hog they were riding ran out of gas.

I hate copy right laws as I'd love to cut and paste Peter Egan's Leanings for 4-1-01 'Rambling Roadblocks'. He had experienced a similar situation. He did mention one version of hell for him would to be stuck eternally behind a long line of slow motorcycles.

ME TOO included. :dopeslap:

Remember, one of the essentials for a race is that both parties need to be aware that one is happening.

says who.. Often use this technique to smoke people with my corolla. I call it the 'ol "snooze ya lose"

:)

i smoked a ham with my weber.

Did it have the big boar kit?

---

I find all these references to pigs offensive... :grin:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I have to say that reading this thread has made me laugh! Thanks everyone.

It also brings to mind something that I and an unnamed board member did (had to do) coming back to TX from Paonia, CO several years ago.

Anyhowz, riding partner and I are hell bent on seeing the DFW metroplex before the next day. So yes, we were enjoying a brisk pace through the south eastern foothills of CO. Eventually, we pull up on a small pack of no helmet wearing, jean jacketed, long haired motorcyclists seemingly enjoying the road at slow pace on noise machines. (need I say more?)

As I recall, a few of the riders had someone "riding bitch" not the last guy though. (I believe that is the "tail-gunner" in that nomenclature). At any rate, we briefly tried to do the right thing. We slowed down, then we slowed way down until it became excruciatingly obvious that we were expected to stay in our place behind them... particularly, since the repeated attempts to pass were rebuffed. At first we thought the kind "tail-gunner's" extended left arm was signaling that it was "not a good time to pass...oncoming traffic". The next attempt to pass involved the kind tail-gunner (now turned dirtbag bastard) crossing the yellow line as if to signal that he was not going to let us by.

Well, that wasn't going to work...

As I'm thinking to myself WTF was that all about? I hear said riding partner say over the radio "did that guy just try to block us?" then, "we gotta around these A-holes..." Two downshifts and a twist o' the throttle later... we are now both at the front of the pack and adding distance between us and the clan by the second. I Don't know and I don't care if they even mustered an attempt to catch up. We were headed home and intent on keeping our forward lean.

Cheers!

I do not put too much faith in the HD motor except to make a lot of noise when needed.

We all know the HD engine is the best way to convert gasoline to noise without making any horsepower!

I wouldn't make too much fun of HD motors......

It's my first bike that has consistently worn out ALL of my tires (6 sets in 22k) on the sides before the centers. And I'm coming from 20 years of BMW boxers.....

4491210605_8812d28802_z.jpg

How did you manage to do that , please do tell!

( I am talking about that tire).

Obvious...

- Lots of good twisties

Not so obvious...

- Harley Davidson

- Winter riding

How did you manage to do that , please do tell!

( I am talking about that tire).

Obvious...

- Lots of good twisties

Not so obvious...

- Harley Davidson

- Winter riding

I thought it was from long commutes on the freeway with steady side winds... :grin:

Archived