IGNORED

How are you connecting to NetFlix?

John Ranalletta

John Ranalletta

Dropping DirecTV puts us in the market for Netflix. I can connect via the XBox but it requires a $99/year Live membership. Go fish.

We have been using Netflix vis-a-vis introductory Live and Netflix memberships, but the vid selections are spare.

I suppose I could use a PC with HDMI output to the Sony, but know there are other low cost media servers that work.

Share you experience and recommendataions.

TIA

We connect wireless to a Wii game console for Netflix streaming. We have a one disc out at a time subscription at $9.99 per month.

Streaming from the Wii works great, but selections are very limited compared to the discs.

Blu-Ray with built in Wifi.

Yes, the Netflix selection is small, but growing. Check back week to week and you'll see that for yourself.

Note however that Consumer Reports recently said while Netflix has 15k streaming titles, Amazon has over 75k. Quite a difference. I was already a Netflix subscriber so I stuck with them, but if I was starting from scratch, for pure selection, seems Amazon is the way to go.

-MKL

Dennis Andress

Like David, a Blu-Ray player connected to the network and FIOS to the world.

We cancelled NetFlix over the weekend. A couple of months ago they decided to charge more for DVD service and raised their price something like $3. We felt their streaming selection was (and still is) limited, so agreed to the increase. Now, they've decided to discontinue the DVD service entirely. The result is that we almost stopped using them, and found Vudu and pay per view more cost effective.

On another note, Netflix accounts for 20% of peak internet bandwidth usage. There's a cost to that, one that has yet to trickle down to the consumer...

Dennis

I am using a Roku to access Netflix. I am not sure if the DVDs are cancelled. My last reading showed that they were still available, just not able to order through the streaming service. Had to use the online version for that.

Now, they've decided to discontinue the DVD service entirely.
Where did you see that? I did a search and can't find anything that even hints at them doing it. What they did do was prevent you from adding a DVD to your queue from a streaming device, frankly why would I care?

I use a Sony BluRay DVD to stream from Netflix and Amazon but we only have 3 meg connectivity at best so the quality is not up to satellite or DVD standards.

We're an Apple family for the most part so we're using an AppleTV box to drive Netflix and a Wii console elsewhere to get access. The interfaces are easy for the kids to use. The AppleTV is a phenomenal interface and I would suggest greatly...

While I agree that the Netflix selections are limited, they have plenty of kids programming which is a huge majority of our TV use.

Also included in the mix is an iPad or two, both using Netflix services. We obviously hit Netflix pretty hard on the weekends or nasty days...

I've got decent service at the house, so my lag times are fairly minimal.

Dennis Andress
Where did you see that? I did a search and can't find anything that even hints at them doing it. What they did do was prevent you from adding a DVD to your queue from a streaming device, frankly why would I care?

I use a Sony BluRay DVD to stream from Netflix and Amazon but we only have 3 meg connectivity at best so the quality is not up to satellite or DVD standards.

Sorry, I can't find a reference.

I haven't looked it up, but I highly doubt they are dropping the DVD service. I recently switched to streaming-only service from Netflix (I am connected through the AppleTV and the PS3). Ever since, I am getting the hard sell to come back to the DVD service. When searching for streaming titles, Netflix gives me the "Sorry, you can't have that, but for $2/mo more, you can have it on DVD" page. Then it shows me my search results.

Dennis Andress

Mailing DVDs is expensive:

Netflix currently pays up to $1 per DVD mailed round trip....

Their Canadian service does not include DVD's.

I don't think they'll offer DVD's indefinitely. They are focused on increasing number of titles they have available for streaming. My feeling is they are increasing the cost to existing DVD customers to finance expanding their streaming service.

But, that's just my opinion. Your mileage may vary. For us, Netflix didn't deliver enough to keep us as customers. We found a service that better met our needs.

Apple TV... love it.

ditto on apple tv, plus connect via iphone and macbook. also, connect laptop to a different HDTV directly. i'm set up to get hd and surround out of the laptop (newer macbook) thru the complete system. ESPN3 as well.

Wii or PS3. The PS3 has a lot better picture due to the HDMI output. I don't care all that much for the PS3 interface, but you can queue up all the titles you want online, so you don't really need to do anything but play them from the console.

Do any of you geniuses know if there's a way the watch Netflix from a PSP Go? I'd love to be able to carry the PSP Go on the bike and take it to a hotel room or the cabin in the mountains. You can buy movies for the PSP and download them, but I'd rather get them from Netflix.

I have a collection point installed about a half mile from my house that gathers content from various sources and serves it up for transport by a variety of protocols. It is about 40" above the ground, the size of 2 loaves of bread, and has a manually-actuated indicator for signaling outgoing transport ... via USPS. :) Out here where the deer and the antelope play, we can't get enough bandwidth for worthwhile streaming, and probably won't get it anytime soon, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

We got a Sony BDP-BX57 Bluray and Streaming wifi player

It worked fine with Amazon HD and other sources, but froze repeatedly with Netflix, and then on day 16 it died altogether. Subsequently found freeze ups are a common compliant on this player (even Consumer Reports noted it on a sister player with the same electronics), and some other players. Read user reviews carefully when choosing a player.

We considered the Xbox, but like you were not up for another subscription to get to our subscription. We are presently leaning towards the PS3 (apparently a solid performer there), but have not bothered to pick one up yet. In the meantime, we hooked up the Wii, and while it is most decidedly not HD, it is at least rock solid, with never a hitch.

Mailing DVDs is expensive:

Netflix currently pays up to $1 per DVD mailed round trip....

Their Canadian service does not include DVD's.

I don't think they'll offer DVD's indefinitely. They are focused on increasing number of titles they have available for streaming. My feeling is they are increasing the cost to existing DVD customers to finance expanding their streaming service.

But, that's just my opinion. Your mileage may vary. For us, Netflix didn't deliver enough to keep us as customers. We found a service that better met our needs.

I'm no expert, but it seems to me that they are incentivizing the upcharge for mailed DVDs by restricting the majority of the most desirable content from streaming, and particularly HD streaming. That was my impression at least.

In response to:

Poster: BerndM

Subject: Re: How are you connecting to NetFlix?

Sony Playstation 3

Works GREAT!

Can a PS3 be set up to work like a DVR?

I have a collection point installed about a half mile from my house that gathers content from various sources and serves it up for transport by a variety of protocols. It is about 40" above the ground, the size of 2 loaves of bread, and has a manually-actuated indicator for signaling outgoing transport ... via USPS. :) Out here where the deer and the antelope play, we can't get enough bandwidth for worthwhile streaming, and probably won't get it anytime soon, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.
We have the reverse situation, 3 meg WiFi broadband but no USPS collection point...

I just hook the computer to the tv, and use a wireless mouse. No new equipment. Takes about 15 seconds to plug the laptop in...would be even faster if my laptop had an HDMI connection.

Sorry, I can't find a reference.

Tiered pricing, maybe. streaming

I just hook the computer to the tv, and use a wireless mouse. No new equipment. Takes about 15 seconds to plug the laptop in...would be even faster if my laptop had an HDMI connection.

We have done that, especially espn3 and Tennis channel, but for Netflix the pc streaming list is even more restricted than the general streaming list.

...and yes the laptop has hdmi... very nice.

TV #1: Samsung BluRay player with wifi connection.

TV #2: Samsung Internet-ready TV with direct ethernet connection.

Excellent quality picture with both.

(Waiting for baseball season to start to see what my internet-connected TV can provide with MLB.TV.)

I'm no expert, but it seems to me that they are incentivizing the upcharge for mailed DVDs by restricting the majority of the most desirable content from streaming, and particularly HD streaming. That was my impression at least.

I think the biggest hangup with having more streaming titles available is due to the negotiating position of the distributors/content owners. I'm pretty sure Netflix would love to go full streaming if they were able to do it at an affordable cost.

I think the biggest hangup with having more streaming titles available is due to the negotiating position of the distributors/content owners. I'm pretty sure Netflix would love to go full streaming if they were able to do it at an affordable cost.

The other reason may very well be required bandwidth. I have Comcast and I suspect that should I decide to stream many HD shows/movies per month I could potentially consume my monthly limit (for those not familiar, Comcast limits and considers 250GB/month - if you couple streaming movies with other internet activities - who knows how quickly a neighborhood could sync most of a local comcast feed) Yes, that's a lot of HD movies/shows, but if you have 2 TV's, etc. multiple households and older copper feeds to the neighborhood....

I'm certain Netflix has this built into their business model, but heavy Netflix streaming users may be in for a shock if they consume massive data bandwidth and Comcast decides to move forward with consumption based billing or cuts you off for a year.

"Comcast will contact customers who go above the 250G byte limit and ask them to curtail their use, Comcast said. If a customer goes over the monthly limit again during the following six months, Comcast will suspend service for a year."

Comcast Bandwidth Limit

Just a thought... (I remember when 640K was a LOT of memory!)

Mike O

P.S. I had Netflix - was ok with my WII, just didn't need the extra expense since I pay four peoples salary on a monthly basis to Directv ;)

I'm not aware of any way to make the PS3 work as a recorder, but that would be a neat feature. I'm sure someone out there is trying to create a "hack" to do just that.

On that topic however, Sony has just in the past week made it VERY clear that if you modify their operating system in any way so the the PS3 becomes more "open" to other software, your machine will be Black Listed from receiving any future Sony updates UNTIL you restore back to the proper Sony approved OS.

Bah-Humbug! Bastards!

Jan,

Was there an additional charge before this announcement? (I'm a prime customer so may have not noticed).

Mark my word.... All this HD streaming, picture uploading, iTunes downloading, youtube, Mozy and countless other apps use of our internet connections will stress our broadband bandwidth in the not to distant future. Comcast is NOT gonna like this (or whoever your broadband vendor is).

Mike O

Jan,

Was there an additional charge before this announcement? (I'm a prime customer so may have not noticed).

Mark my word.... All this HD streaming, picture uploading, iTunes downloading, youtube, Mozy and countless other apps use of our internet connections will stress our broadband bandwidth in the not to distant future. Comcast is NOT gonna like this (or whoever your broadband vendor is).

Mike O

I'm also a prime member. All I know is what the announcement says. I didn't notice any extra charge, and the announcement says none.

Seems like things just heated up a bit.

Not really. Amazon's selection of free video for Prime members sucks.

I guess you saw that they have Ted Haggard in "Jesus Camp" too.

Netflix????? Who needs 'em:

Seems like things just heated up a bit.

And how do you think this will impact Netflix? On the surface maybe not much. On the other hand some casual reading and I uncovered the following interesting tidbit. Turns out that Netflix runs their business and databases by hosting them on Amazon's web based cloud services:

"Netflix provides rent-by-mail and streaming movies in the United States. The shift from mail-order to streaming video had fairly significant implications for Netflix’s application infrastructure. Netflix realized that it would need multiple geographically dispersed data centers and far more processing capacity. Rather than build these new data centers, Netflix decided to migrate its applications to Amazon’s AWS cloud. This allowed the company to concentrate its intellectual efforts on building customer value rather than nationwide data centers."

Complete article is here.

Amazon sure has a lot of information about Netflix sitting right on their very own storage and servers. That's got to make Netflix mighty nervous.

Mike O

Amazon sure has a lot of information about Netflix sitting right on their very own storage and servers. That's got to make Netflix mighty nervous.

Mike O

I don't think so, Amazon is really big into the cloud services industry (I have 3 servers and numerous storage buckets and am about to start using SimpleDB and SimpleEmail) If they compromise their integrity by spying on their customers that business will be dead.

Mike O

I don't think so, Amazon is really big into the cloud services industry (I have 3 servers and numerous storage buckets and am about to start using SimpleDB and SimpleEmail) If they compromise their integrity by spying on their customers that business will be dead.

With respect to individual hosted data, they don't know (and shouldn't) have information about specific transactions. But they most certainly know (and need to) have information about server loads, network traffic, storage capacity, and basic service levels. And you can bet Netflix is cognizant of that. And there are other business implications. You can bet that if given choices Amazon needs to make to potentially optimize their services for a client, Amazon is gonna bend over backwards to help Netflix, right;) (Trust me that these sorts of discussions come up behind closed doors much more frequently than can be imagined).

Mike O

I wish I had the time to consider Netflix. We (I) record from TCM, IFC, AMC onto the DVR. Then a few weeks or months later, I watch it. Actually went out to 2 movies last year, maybe three. Also borrow DVD's from friends and in-laws and buy some myself, several of which I've owned for several years and haven't watched yet.

Anyone want a six year old? He's for rent, cheeeep. Available for birthday aprties, bar/bat mitsvahs, keggers and marathon Nickelodeon watching. :grin:

Archived